Horrible battery on GS3 - phones dies every night! Help!

danperde

Not quite a noob
Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
There's another bug caused by a file called "gsiff deamon". go in Settings, Developer Options and check Show CPU usage. If you see "gsiff" running, that's what's draining your battery.

ourmanbv

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I changed the setting for "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" from "Always" to "Only when plugged in". Battery didn't drain as much.

Settings->Wi-Fi->Advanced->Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
There's another bug caused by a file called "gsiff deamon". go in Settings, Developer Options and check Show CPU usage. If you see "gsiff" running, that's what's draining your battery.

lol it looks pretty cool having those processes diplayed. wonder if theres a live wallpaper that shows them in a funkyer way?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

xaxs69

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Man just go to xda developers and search for galaxy s3 battery profile, that's ho you're gonna fix the issue the problem relies on the battery profile.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
talkin to xda is like a nun talkin to a bunch of 'ho's

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

brassglobos

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

This was my problem. If you haven't rooted all you can do is reboot your phone. I noticed my phone got extremely hot when this bug was active. If you're rooted you can rename the file. I moved the file and my phone's battery life has been much better.

Rockafella

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
If you have Facebook installed then go to options and tell it not to sync contacts to address book. That will surely kill your battery because of you have a lot of friends and they are always changing profile pics or updating profiles in someway then the app is constantly updating your address book.

imtoomuch

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Take it in and get a new battery!

Sent From My EVO 4G LTE!

Are you joking? The battery is not likely to be the problem. I'd bet money on a hungry app. At the very least, some diagnostic work is in order first.

The s3 bettery is just horrible.

Are you also joking? I am NOT rooted, have data, Wi-Fi, and all 3 GPS services on 24/7 and I can easily get through an entire day! Check your apps.

Most people don't realize that free apps are some of the biggest battery munchers due to poor coding and ads.

My phone suddenly started dying very quickly. It turns out that the Google+ update was at fault. I uninstalled the update and the battery life returned to normal.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

docpanama

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
In my case it was a weather widget eating my battery. I came here, read the forums, installed Juice Defender, got rid of the widget... Problem solved. I was going to post a "hi and thanks" as a separate thread but this is relevant here, so, thanks guys.

davidsnoodles

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
i've read multiple times that juice defender does more harm than it does good. i used to use it on my thunderbolt, but i uninstalled it and get much better battery life than i did before. i don't use my thunderbolt anymore (i have a GS3) and i get a whole day's worth of usage. up to 14 hours on one charge.

mayhem32654

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you have apps running in the background..have you tried using Advanced Task Manager.Every time I use my Samsung Galaxy 3 I hit Task Manager and then the "Green Kill Selected" at the bottom of the screen.Do it last thing at night too.Maybe this will help.Hope this helps you.

dlapetin

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Your problem sounds like mine... I would get 20-30% drops in charge after turning my phone back on! I eventually exchanged my GS3 for a new one after experiencing the same problem. I, too, was frustrated after following all the recommended steps I read on the forums, including using Juice Defender, etc...
With the same apps and settings on the new phone, it's performing as the old phone did the first week I got it. Bad phone? I don't think so...

The culprit?

I think it was my phone charger in the car... I bought this "universal high-speed" charger online, and it used to make the battery run very hot when charging.

The very helpful sales representative that exchanged my GS3 confirmed that there was likely something wrong with my battery... I think the charger damaged it somehow. I just ordered a Samsung branded charger that is "compatible" with the GS3, and have only been using the charger provided... I'm hoping that it was a faulty charger that I was using in the car. Incidentally, I won't be using that charger anymore!

Hope this helps someone out there!

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how often my apps sync. But have less than 10 apps installed (list is in my OP). Should it matter?

Yeah it does matter, you should change them to 1 hr.... One app can cause your battery to deplete very quickly if it's syncing too often

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums