Hotspot Quick Access

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Just wondering if on Samsung S9+ you can add a button to Turn On / Turn Off your Hotspot, from the "quick access menu" when you slide down.

This was a standard button on all my other Android phones, so I'm guessing I'm missing something obvious here. But for now, when I click on the 3 dots and go to "Button Order", Hotspot is not an available option.

Thanks!

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
This is extra weird, I just found some articles (e.g. on XDA) saying the Galaxy line of phone has removed this option from Quick Toggles settings (so good for you for having it lol). You can apparently run a line of commands without root to make it appear, but that's something that needs to be done after every update.

It is very strange to me for this to not be by default. It's such a useful feature..

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
My wife's S9+ also has it in the panel. So does my S10+.

I would check to ensure that the account with your carrier has hot spot enabled. Maybe it isn't in the panel because it isn't enabled on your account.

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Not sure I understand 100%, but yes I can hotspot. If I go in Settings > Connections > Mobile Hotspot and Tethering, then I can start my hotspot.

Also, I haven't changed carrier when changing phone, and on my Nexus 6P I had the quick toggle for Hotspot.

Is there something else that I'm missing here?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
If I remember correctly some carrier versions removed it for some reason. Like how some carriers remove the mobile data toggle from the quick panel.

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Pull down your notification shade.....click onto the 3 dots in the upper right corner.....tap on "button order".......and look and see if it's there in the "drag to add buttons".

I have the S9+ and it's there for me.

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Will try clearing the cache.

I'm in Canada and my carrier is Fido (belongs to Rogers). As stated previously, I was with the same carrier when using my Nexus 6P, and the Mobile Hotspot quick toggle was available.

However, maybe Fido does something special depending on the device you use? (FYI I didn't buy my device from Fido, and the S9+ in Canada are sold carrier unlocked by default).

Thanks a lot for your help and ideas!

Sean Elliott1

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
I wanted to post here in case others have this issue. Like the original poster, I have a Samsung Galaxy (S10 model) and am on the Fido network in Canada. It appears that Fido, along with some other carriers have opted to remove the Mobile Hotspot quick toggle button. Not sure the reasoning behind it, but it's very annoying if you regularly use your hotspot as you have to go through the settings menu to toggle it on and off each time.

I found a video on youtube entitled "How to Restore the Mobile Data and Mobile Hotspot" that worked to restore it. In short, you need to download "SDK Platform Tools" for Android Developers, hook up your phone to your computer, and use the tools it to reenable the toggle. The tutorial I found guides you through copying the current list of System UI Quick Setting Toggles from your phone, adding "Hotspot" to that list, and copying the new list back onto your phone. The hotspot toggle which was removed from the list of toggles by your carrier has now been re-enabled.

From what I read, you may have to do this again after major updates, so it would be good to keep the instruction video in your bookmarks.

And I would place the full instructions here, but TBH the video does a much better explanation than I could do in a forum. Good Luck!

GlenK1973

May 4, 2020
Visit site
I also noticed the Mobile Hotspot option was missing from the settings Quick Panel on my new Galaxy S10e on Canada's Virgin Mobile (Bell) network. Since I use the hotspot frequently, I was distraught to find it missing. Thankfully, I discovered the "Tethering settings shortcut" app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.logpedia.tether) that fills the void. I've placed the app icon on my homescreen and can now enable the hotspot with only two taps like I could on my old phone. I hope this helps others who are also missing the Quick Panel option.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Janvi212