How can I change my vibration intensity when in sound and vibrate mode?

yui548

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
Different Vibration Settings in Sound, Vibrate and Mute

Hi! I don't know if anybody asked this before but I'm really stuck. I can't seem to find the right answer anywhere. I have a Samsung Note 4 and it has the Lollipop version. How can I change my vibration intensity when in Sound and Vibrate mode? I don't like my phone vibrating normally but when I'm in class and I need to put my phone on vibrate mode so that it won't be noisy, I want it to vibrate so that I will know when I received a message or a call. Even though I changed modes, I still have to go to settings and change vibration intensity manually. Isn't there a way where I can set my phone so that when there is sound, it won't vibrate when there are notifications and when it is on vibrate, it will actually vibrate?

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Different Vibration Settings in Sound, Vibrate and Mute

Hello,
There seems to be several questions in your OP that sort of mixes in with each other. It's hard to understand exactly what you're asking.

If you go to Settings > Sound ... there should be an option to set the intensity. The phone should remember this setting even if you jump out of vibe, go to sound, and go back to vibe again.
Also in the Sound settings, there's an option for the phone to "vibrate when ringing". If you uncheck this, then you should only have sound when it rings with no vibration.
Once the Sound settings have been set up and you switch to vibrate, the phone should vibrate only (with the intensity you set up).

Like I said, I'm not sure what exactly you're asking so I really don't know if I answered your questions.

yui548

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site

Sorry I didn't know my question was so confusing. My problem was I can't set different vibrate settings on Sound and Vibrate mode. When I remove vibration intensity on Sound mode, it also removes it when in Vibrate. From what I can understand from your reply, my phone should remember it but it doesn't.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

No apologies necessary. I'm the one confused! :confused:

Vibration "intensity" is like "volume". The more intense, the louder it vibrates. I know you already know that. On every phone I've ever owned, once I set the vibe intensity, it remembers it... just like my volume control. If you have to constantly adjust the intensity on your phone, I would guess it's a software problem.

When I remove vibration intensity on Sound mode, it also removes it when in Vibrate.
Sorry, but I'm confused again. Might be the way you're trying to describe the problem. There is no way to "remove" vibration intensity. Vibration intensity is an adjustment. Do you mean when you uncheck "Vibrate when ringing", it also disables all vibrations? If so, this shouldn't happen.

Did you install any kind of app that deals with sound and is maybe conflicting with your phone software?

You might not like this, but since the sound properties of the phone is a System application, then if it's messed up, you might have to factory reset your phone so it can totally reboot itself. Before you do factory reset, you should back up all your contacts, pictures, music, etc, because your phone is going to get wiped.

yui548

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site

In settings to set vibration intensity I just move the bar all the way to the left so it won't vibrate. And I never click vibrate when ringing

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

In settings to set vibration intensity I just move the bar all the way to the left so it won't vibrate. And I never click vibrate when ringing
Ok, I have to admit, I'm having the hardest time following along with what you're trying to do.

Why are you moving the intensity bar all the way to the left? Do you or do you not want your phone to vibrate? If you move intensity all the way to the left, you're basically turning vibration so way down you're not going to be able to hear or feel it. If you do that, then whenever you change to vibration mode, of course you're going to have to go to settings to turn intensity back up again so you can hear/feel it.

1) All you have to do is set the vibration intensity to what you want it to be when you're in vibration mode.
2) Do not check Vibrate when ringing
3) Now when you're in Sound mode, all your notifications will be sound... there will be no vibration.
4) When you switch to Vibration mode, all your notifications will follow your vibration intensity the way you set it up in step 1.

yui548

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site

I want different vibration intensity settings in Vibrate and Sound mode but I can't do that without manually adjusting Vibration intensity EVERY TIME I switch. If I switch to Sound Mode, I adjust vibration intensity so that it won't vibrate. If I switch to Vibrate, I have to adjust intensity again so it vibrates. I was wondering if there was a way I don't have to keep adjusting when I change. Sorry I just can't seem to explain it properly. :)

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

Sound mode and Vibration mode are two different modes. I hope you realize this.

The only way your phone should vibrate while in Sound mode is if you put a check mark in "Vibrate when ringing". If "Vibrate when ringing" is unchecked, the phone won't vibrate when in Sound mode. That's just the way it works. So, you messing with the vibration intensity while in Sound mode does nothing because Sound mode isn't even using the vibration settings. Sound mode disregards the vibration settings as long as "Vibrate when ringing" is unchecked.

Set your vibration intensity to the level you want it at and leave it there. Now when you switch your phone from Sound mode to Vibration mode, your phone will vibrate just the way you want it.

I don't know how to make this any clearer.

yui548

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site

I'm starting to get what you mean. You're only referring to incoming calls. But I need different settings for notifications as well. Like I said, I need my phone to vibrate when I get new notifications as well but that's only while in Vibrate mode. I don't want my phone to vibrate when I receive new notifications while in Sound mode.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

Ok, do this and see if it works for you...
When you want your notifications to have no sound and only vibrate, just lower your the volume control all the way down. This will turn off sound and set the phone to vibrate. Be sure you have set your vibration intensity to where you want it before you turn the volume down.

EDIT... After re-reading your last reply, I finally realized what you were trying to do. Yes, I was speaking about incoming calls. No wonder the confusion! It looks like a lot of people are having this problem. I don't use vibration at all, so for me, none of what you're seeing applies to how I use my own phone, so I was trying to set your phone up the same way.

Lastly, reading some forum threads, apparently Lollipop 5.1 will correct this problem for you. Until then, unfortunately, I think you're stuck.

Last edited:

yui548

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions! I'll just have to try looking for more solutions. It's my first time on Android so it's still confusing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781