How can I control my Galaxy S22 from Windows 10PC? (e.g. using 'Samsung DeX'??)

JohnSmithSpam

Apr 22, 2023
Visit site
Hello

Is it possible to control my Galaxy S22 (Ultra) from my Windows 10 PC, if I am also using the mobile Hotspot on my Galaxy S22 to connect my PC to the internet?

e.g. Can I use Samsung DeX?

Background
I have managed to get my Windows 10 PC to control my Samsung Galaxy S22 by using Samsung Dex, if I physically connect my Galaxy S22 using USB cable. It works great.

However I can't work out how to do the same thing if my Windows 10 PC is connected via to the Internet via the mobile hotspot on my Galaxy S22.

Any suggestions?

J

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Control... how? In what way? Do you mean, as in mirroring the phone screen on the PC and working it like you would with your fingers except using a mouse on the monitor?

Samsung Flow does that. The app needs to be on the phone and the companion PC app has to be installed on the computer. It can be found in the Microsoft Store. Basically, it puts a virtual copy of the phone screen on the PC monitor.

Dex is different in that it sets up the desktop as a regular Windows desktop for your phone's apps to run in.

The phone and PC have to be either connected with the USB cable, or both phone and PC on the same Wi-Fi network.

Using the phone as a hotspot is NOT the same. Turning on the hotspot and connecting the PC to it technically makes the phone a router, which is just a go-between for the PC to get to the internet. That's it.

Just a quick edit, but I think Link to Windows now can do what Samsung Flow does, or did. I haven't actually worked with either in over a year now. Flow was better over USB and very laggy over Wi-Fi. Link to Windows was limited and didn't do screen mirroring, but I hear it does that and more now. Link will work over cellular, but I don't think Dex does.

Last edited:
Reactions: BerryBubbles

JohnSmithSpam

Apr 22, 2023
Visit site
Yes, Samsung Flow would also suffice - although I prefer the interface on Dex - but more importantly I couldn't get it to work either.

That is my point [because of weirdnesses in this property that I can't control as I am only renting] I am compelled to use my phone as the hotspot, in order to get a decent signal.

Back to my question IF I am using the hotspot does this mean I can't control the mobile phone?
(i.e ...Because they aren't "on the same Wi-Fi network??)

J

PS I am reluctant to keep plugging my phone into the USB cable every day as I fear that eventually the USB connection may wear out/get dirt stuck in it - which would be a major disaster!

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Back to my question IF I am using the hotspot does this mean I can't control the mobile phone?
(i.e ...Because they aren't "on the same Wi-Fi network??)

J

PS I am reluctant to keep plugging my phone into the USB cable every day as I fear that eventually the USB connection may wear out/get dirt stuck in it - which would be a major disaster!

Correct. Using the phone as a hotspot prevents the direct Wi-Fi connection to the phone. You might notice that Wi-Fi has to be turned "off" to use the hotspot function. That's because it switches the Wi-Fi radio into router mode. But cellular still works (different radio) since that how the phone creates the internet access.

For the phone and PC to work together wirelessly as equal devices, the phone and the PC have to be on the same Wi-Fi provided by some OTHER router.

About the constant USB connection, I plug my phone into the USB port almost every day. Not as much on my current phone since I now have a wireless charger that it sleeps on every night starting only a year ago. But until I got that, every device I've had since 2007 has been plugged in at least every night. Just have to be careful.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

JohnSmithSpam

Apr 22, 2023
Visit site
So here's the problem.
I have to get my signal from my mobile phone, because the Wi-Fi signal for this house is intermittent and basically hopeless.

But in order to get a 1/2 reasonable (4G) mobile phone signal, I have to put my mobile phone high up on a window where it's hard to access during the day!

My main (desktop) computer has a Wi-Fi accessory.

OK so I need a device that is a "mobile phone signal extender" rather than a Wi-Fi extender. Does such a think exist?

Thought: If my PC had a BlueTooth (via say a USB accessory) would that help?

Btw, I can no longer find Samsung Dex on Samsung's Galaxy Store. Has it been depricated?

Re not using USB, part of the problem is that I work part time on a farm so there is a lot of mud around! And from what I can see there is nothing to stop mud going into the hole...

J

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Dex is now built into the OS. They even added a quick panel button so you can turn it on or off anytime.

JohnSmithSpam

Apr 22, 2023
Visit site
Ah, yes DeX does seem to be built into the Android operating system.

The problem is that I can't get a Wi-Fi signal to my (windows 10) desktop PC unless I use a hotspot from my phone.
But to use Dex, both the Win10 PC and Android phone need to be "on the same Wi-Fi network", and apparently using a hotspot takes my phone out of the Wi-Fi network.

==> "Catch 22" !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali