How can I get a specific IP address?

enginerev

Jun 5, 2018
Visit site
I tether using my mobile.
I need to be able to control the IP address that I get allocated.

I've developed a mini program (on my PC) that logs the IP address I get.
Restart the phone and you get a new IP address (better still, turn on and off airplane mode, gives you the same thing).

So... I have a finite list of IP addresses.

Is there ANY way I can control what IP address I get?
Someone told me no... you JUST get randomly allocated.
I'm guessing no... there *has* to be a way of getting a specific IP address?
I know the IP address is available, so why can't I connect to it?
There HAS to be a method (I'm hoping!).

I would add: the exact physical location where you access from matters (I think). So if I am on one side of the city and then move to the other side, then the list of finite IP addresses will change. This is my guess. BUT... in my case... I will always be in one location. I thought I would just mention this in case it mattered somehow.

+ Ignoring the fact that for whatever reason an IP address could be out of action for some reason. For the moment, let's ignore this possibility.

Any ideas?
Is there an app out there that would help?

A worst case solution would be to be able to rapidly get an IP address, drop it, get a new one and do repeatedly until the desired one was assigned. Currently the quickest way is to turn off and on airplane mode. But from start to finish, this can take 30 seconds - which is pants, because sometimes I am left doing this for 20 minutes before I get the IP address I need!

I'm in the UK. Not sure if that matters. I thought I'd mention anyway.

Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Is there ANY way I can control what IP address I get?
Someone told me no... you JUST get randomly allocated.
I'm guessing no... there *has* to be a way of getting a specific IP address?
No, "someone" was correct - what you get is what you get - which is why the whole DNS system was develped, so we could have named addresses to go to.

I know the IP address is available, so why can't I connect to it?
There HAS to be a method (I'm hoping!).
You don't "connect to" an IP address, you get one assigned by the DHCP server - usually the next one available.

I would add: the exact physical location where you access from matters (I think). So if I am on one side of the city and then move to the other side, then the list of finite IP addresses will change. This is my guess. BUT... in my case... I will always be in one location. I thought I would just mention this in case it mattered somehow.
Nope, not at all. Disconnect, someone else disconnects, you connect and you probably will get the IP address they disconnected from. (Of course the lease time matters. If it's 24 hours, you'll get the first available address that's been available for a moment longer than the lease time.

Any ideas?
Is there an app out there that would help?
There are a few in the Play store. Check out Dynamic DNS Update. (You'll need to create an account on whichever service you use. [I use No-IP, and have for years. No problems, except the monthly login and reverify because I chose to take the free option.])

Doing that, you don't log the IP address, you just keep the named connection. So, for example, if you had chosen MyTether.ddns.net, that's all you'd have to connect to. The app in the phone would keep the site advised of any change in its IP address, and the site would do an immediate redirect from MyTether.ddns.net to the IP address your phone has at the moment. It's how everyone who runs something with a dynamic address (one that changes) they have to connect to from the world. (See Creating a Website if you want more information or if you want to connect to a site that's set up that way (granted, on a PC, but I could do it on my phone if I really wanted to).

midnightfrolic

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
so you use your smartphone as a wifi router (cell hotspot) for your PC? And you need your pc to get the same IP address?

Or are you wanting your smartphone to be getting the same IP address each time it connects to your cellular carrier?

enginerev

Jun 5, 2018
Visit site
Or are you wanting your smartphone to be getting the same IP address each time it connects to your cellular carrier?
this is exactly what i want.
i was convinced there HAD to be a solution. :)

failing that... what's the fastest way of changing IP?
there is one app that claims to do this - but says only works for android 4.2. all above versions don't work. damn.
i haven't come accross any others.

i have to turn on and off aeroplane mode. this is the quickest way. but surely this can be programmed and made to happen within a second or 2?

thanks

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Changing the IP address is an interesting solution.

What we probably need to do is step back and discuss the problem you are trying to solve. That way we can get to the best solution, which may or may not be to change the IP address of your device.

Nov 15, 2019
Visit site
Changing the IP address is an interesting solution.

What we probably need to do is step back and discuss the problem you are trying to solve. That way we can get to the best solution, which may or may not be to change the IP address of your device.

IPs are assigned by the ISP so you can change it by requesting your Internet Service Provider to do so, however it is a bit costly suggestion but it depends what are your concerns and why you desire it. But it is the only primary solution.

Nov 15, 2019
Visit site
Once I asked my ISP to do so, and I got the Dedicated IP from him and paid him $6/ month for that. I got that for 6 months to spy my office cameras and I couldn't do that using other IP so after getting Dedicated IP I was able to access Office software too remottely.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463