How can I update to 2.2 with Unrevoked3 installed?

sammy123

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I have stock 2.1 with Unrevoked3. I didn't install any custom ROMs or anything I just ran unrevoked because I planed to in the future.

Now I don't really care if I have root or not but I would like 2.2 to be installed. How can I update my phone to 2.2 since I used unrevoked? Is there a way to remove unrevoked?

Can I do the update without losing my my settings and data?

tx_dbs_tx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
This is the fastest and easiest way to get the official Froyo flashed onto your evo with root by unrevoked3. I put the link below. This is what I did and it was fast and easy. Put the rooted Rom on the root of your SD card and boot into the clockworkmod bootloader and choose recovery then select the option that let's you choose the zip you want to flash. Make sure you use the bootloader menu to restart once flashed as it tells you to do.

HTC OTA Froyo 2.2, *FINAL*, build 3.36.651.6 (Rooted) Odexed - xda-developers

sammy123

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Does this wipe all my settings and data? Also, does this mean that because I did Unrevoked I won't be able to do OTA updates anymore? What if I need to bring the phone in to Sprint for repair?

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Yes if you root, you might not he able to do ota updates. Lucky here are a few tricks to unrooting your phone.

However, there are still some series that lightest return to stock. The pri seems to he the one that causes the mist difficulty. However with a stock phone, and bad pri, you can still return the phone if needed

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

tx_dbs_tx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes settings and data are obviously wiped. As long as your evo is rooted you do not want to flash ota updates or you will lose root and future rooting on your phone may become much more difficult. Look for the "how to unroot" thread here in the forum and unroot before having Sprint service or replace your phone.

RC46

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
This is the fastest and easiest way to get the official Froyo flashed onto your evo with root by unrevoked3. I put the link below. This is what I did and it was fast and easy. Put the rooted Rom on the root of your SD card and boot into the clockworkmod bootloader and choose recovery then select the option that let's you choose the zip you want to flash. Make sure you use the bootloader menu to restart once flashed as it tells you to do.

HTC OTA Froyo 2.2, *FINAL*, build 3.36.651.6 (Rooted) Odexed - xda-developers

Are you sure you used Unrevoked3 to root?

The developers say that flashing with .zip files will not work for the Unrevoked3 root and you should only use .img files.

Are they wrong?

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure you used Unrevoked3 to root?

The developers say that flashing with .zip files will not work for the Unrevoked3 root and you should only use .img files.

Are they wrong?

if thats what the dev says then don't use unrevoked 3, what kind of garbage [see edit below] is this. Think bro, if 80% of the roms are packaged zips. And you want to flash roms, then root using a method that lets use flash zips.

Its like buying a mac, when you want to run programs that need a pc. [and yes i know about parallels and boot camp, thats not the point here ;) ]

Edit: above i'm not calling unrevoked garbage, i'm saying the problem this user is having could have been solved by reading and simple logic.

Last edited:

RC46

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Jesus Relax...

Turns out you can flash .zips after rooting with UnRevoked3 even though their FAQ's clearly say you can't.

I just successfully flashed 2.2 using the link and instructions above.

Sent from my EVO using Taptalk

jcole01272

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I have successfully flashed zip with unrevoked3, but I think certain ones (CM6) you have to have NAND unlocked which unrevoked 3 doesn't do? Or the HP-boot version? Anyway, whatever it is unrevoked3 doesn't do, I have flashed a custom rom and then flashed back to my previous version successfully.

For the OP, I would suggest you get Titanium Backup (donate, it is well worth it!) this will allow you to back up your settings and apps across rom changes. I would also recommend ROM Manager; that's how I was able to flash the custom 2.2 roms (basically the stock rooted rom.) You want a rooted rom since to be able to use Titanium backup et all you will need to be rooted, once you go back to stock without root, it is a guessing game as to if/when you will get root back.

jcole01272

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
BTW, when I rooted with unrevoked3 I only wanted wireless tether and to run a few apps that required root, didn't intend on flashing roms but here I am...

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Jesus Relax...

Turns out you can flash .zoos after rooting with UnRevoked3 even though their FAQ's clearly say you can't.

I just successfully flashed 2.2 using the link and instructions above.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Please realize that liquidjesus has helped a ton of people is still helping people along with tons of others...but eventually because people get on their cause for making smart comments about something that is 99% of the time right there in the thread. But since most people like to look at the first page and then the last couple pages...they usually don't find their answer. Then the helpers leave and stop answering questions because people get upset and can't handle that they themselves didn't take their time to understand something before jumping into it and then wants someone to throw them a latter dipped in gold. It gets frustrating...we like to help, but everyone do us a favor and help yourselves as well. rc46 this is to everyone, but to you as to not get upset at helpers that may get annoyed at answering the same questions that have been answered or could be answered if they read through the entire thread. *stepping down off my soapbox*

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
rc46, the fact is i didn't look at unrevoked3, or simpleroot4 or whatever new oneclick is out today. I checked out the originals and then assumed that the newer ones fixed compatability issues.

If you (general) rooted with Unrevoked 3, and it didnt let you (general)flash the zips you wanted, despite the dev says you (general) shouldnt do so, you (general) would be complaining. My point was if that a dev says not to do something, then dont do it.

I didnt design unrevoked 3, so i trust that when the dev says, dont use this to flash zips, dont do it. And dont ask if you (specific) can do it anyways.

And that if you (general) need to flash zips, use something else to root.

Keep in mind i want trying to be in the least bit rude in this or that last post.

Last edited:

ohseedee

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I have stock 2.1 with Unrevoked3. I didn't install any custom ROMs or anything I just ran unrevoked because I planed to in the future.

Now I don't really care if I have root or not but I would like 2.2 to be installed. How can I update my phone to 2.2 since I used unrevoked? Is there a way to remove unrevoked?

Can I do the update without losing my my settings and data?

Seems like the original topic got lost. I'm in the same situation as the original poster.

I have stock 2.1 with Unrevoked3 for the purpose of wifi tether, and I would like to update to 2.2 without losing settings and data. I know everyone loves custom roms, but I personally want everything stock + wifi tether. I do not want to lose settings/data (yes I know you can backup and restore). Will the Unrevoked team come out with and update.zip that will allow us to apply 2.2 to our phones? If so, any guesses on if this will wipe data/settings or how long it might take for this to be released. Or if thats not possible, is there a way to install 2.2 from OTA? Currently with Unrevoked3 you can not apply the update as it errors out.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Seems like the original topic got lost. I'm in the same situation as the original poster.

I have stock 2.1 with Unrevoked3 for the purpose of wifi tether, and I would like to update to 2.2 without losing settings and data. I know everyone loves custom roms, but I personally want everything stock + wifi tether. I do not want to lose settings/data (yes I know you can backup and restore). Will the Unrevoked team come out with and update.zip that will allow us to apply 2.2 to our phones? If so, any guesses on if this will wipe data/settings or how long it might take for this to be released. Or if thats not possible, is there a way to install 2.2 from OTA? Currently with Unrevoked3 you can not apply the update as it errors out.

Honestly I dont understand the Issue here...

HTC OTA Final 2.2 is out and is over at XDA...

Deodexes and Odexed version available...

Its Stock Its root... Knock yourselfs out...

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

Just FYI, generaly when you update android versions, such as we did form 1.5 to 2.1 with the hero, you loose your data on your phone. And thats the OTA.

I'm sure the rooted version will too, but thats what titanium is for.

To run the OTA you have to be unrooted,
To flash the zip you have to have a full root with recovery unlocked.

sammy123

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I just installed Titanium and when I started it I was asked to allow it to have root access and I said yes. Then it says "sorry the application titanium backup (process com.keramidas.titaniumbackup) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

I have rebooted, reinstalled, and retried a few times and still get the same crash.

jcole01272

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I just installed Titanium and when I started it I was asked to allow it to have root access and I said yes. Then it says "sorry the application titanium backup (process com.keramidas.titaniumbackup) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

I have rebooted, reinstalled, and retried a few times and still get the same crash.

Check your Superuser Permissions; there should be an instance of Titanium backup there. Select it and choose "forget". Reboot, then try to reinstall.

sankaty

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Just to clarify, the Unrevoked3 FAQ indicates that you cannot use zip files to flash a different recovery (something other than the bundled clockworkmod). You need to use an img file for that.

However, the Unrevoked3 FAQ does not warn against using zip files to flash other partitions (ROM, radio, etc.). As others have found, zip files work fine for that. Just trying to clear up any confusion.

sammy123

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Just to clarify, the Unrevoked3 FAQ indicates that you cannot use zip files to flash a different recovery (something other than the bundled clockworkmod). You need to use an img file for that.

However, the Unrevoked3 FAQ does not warn against using zip files to flash other partitions (ROM, radio, etc.). As others have found, zip files work fine for that. Just trying to clear up any confusion.

So all I need to do is put one of the rooted froyo roms on the evo sd and I can update it? Do I still need to update the radio? Anything else?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oldersod