How: create shortcut in Jelly Bean?

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
One of my favorite features of Gingerbread is shortcuts... for example I have shortcuts to my most used Gmail labels...

I have shortcuts to favorite URLs right on my main screen and shortcuts to dial or message certain people...

I can't figure out how to make a shortcut on my N7

Help!

Thanks!

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Look in Widgets for Gmail Label or Bookmark, etc. These are the shortcuts. It'll ask you what exactly you want the shortcut to take you to.

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: dougltc

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Look in Widgets for Gmail Label or Bookmark, etc. These are the shortcuts. It'll ask you what exactly you want the shortcut to take you to.

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I thought that I was missing something obvious... thanks!

Roger Bricker

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
That sounds nice, but when I try to do that, I can't find any way to enter the URL I want to go to. All I find is a huge number of bookmarks I don't want and haveno clue where they came from (they ARE old sites I have visited long ago). I am unable to find a bookmark to the site I want to use, although I have them selected in both browsers I use.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That sounds nice, but when I try to do that, I can't find any way to enter the URL I want to go to. All I find is a huge number of bookmarks I don't want and haveno clue where they came from (they ARE old sites I have visited long ago). I am unable to find a bookmark to the site I want to use, although I have them selected in both browsers I use.

Welcome to Android Central! I assume you're using a 2012 Nexus 7 running Jellybean, correct? If you go to the App Drawer and select Widgets, and then drag the "Bookmark" widget to a homescreen, it should open your Chrome bookmarks. Make sure you're connected to the web in order to see your synced Desktop Bookmarks. You can then select any of those bookmarks to be the shortcut Widget to place on the screen. If the URL that you want to add isn't currently a bookmark, then go back to Chrome, go to that URL, then hit the star icon on the URL bar. The Add Bookmark box will pop up, and you can then save that URL as a Bookmark.