How do I change the size of the Cast video?

Soporose

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Changing size of the Cast video

My Chromecast is working fine, but I have a sizing problem I hope someone can help me with.

The way I'm casting videos that is I drop the video file (usually MP4 or MKV) onto a Google Chrome tab and Cast from there. So far all the videos I've tried have cast across to the TV, complete with audio.

However, to get the TV showing the complete image as it is displayed in the Chrome tab is rare. Having a slice missing off the side of the TV image is fairly common, but bearable. The worst cases are some TV episodes I have where the TV only shows about 1/8 of the image, compared to how it shows in the Chrome tab. Like for instance I'll get not much more than just an ear on the TV, where the computer is showing a full head in profile and a bit more. Obviously those are unwatchable.

I can't see any menu item on the TV that would allow me to make appropriate adjustments. However as some videos cast across almost quite okay I don't think it's in the TV settings.

Any suggestions?

Soporose

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Changing size of the Cast video

Thanks.

It's a Bauhn 80cm HD LCD TV Model Number: ATV-32HDC1N.

I can't find any reference to CEC or "Consumer Electronics Control".

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

Have you tried the Videostream extension/app?

I have just recently got the Chromecast (an early Christmas present) and while the Google Cast Extension works just fine for video meant to run as streaming from the net, I was pleased to also find Videostream, which casts my own 'local' video files over. I haven't yet found a sizing issue, though I haven't run all my videos through it yet, either.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

80cm, so not North America? Chromecast has a vertical frequency of 60Hz, while other parts of the world use 50Hz or 25Hz. That usually causes problems, like using a North American cellphone (not designed to be world-usable) in Europe. Google is going to have to start putting out 3 models of Chromecast, and selling different ones in different countries.

The extremity of your problem, Soporose, suggests that your TV is made for 25Hz vertical sweep. That would give you something like less than 1/4 of the picture in some cases. (Shows cast in 1080i or 720i would appear almost normal, but shows cast in 4:3, with 25Hz vertical, wouldn't.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa