How do I customize text vibration pattern PER Contact for texting on S23+?

Littlefoot71

Jun 4, 2023
Visit site
Can you set custom text vibration patterns PER CONTACT in the S23+ and if so, how is that done? I currently have that functionality using the Textra app on my S9, and I just upgraded to the S23+. The Textra developers have told me 3rd party apps can no longer customize the text vibrations or LED color per contact like they could before. Really sad to lose standard functionality that Apple has still (per contact vibration pattern) and Android has had before. Please tell me I'm missing something! Also, since the S23+ is missing the LED, can the LED color of the edge be customized per contact for texts? Again, this was an existing functionality that has been lost. Very sad here, and considering going back to my S9.

It also makes no sense in light of accessibility. Having a contact specific audible notication per text is alright, but what about people who have hearing loss? Again, really disappointed and hoping I'm just missing something.

Can anyone help?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to AC!

I deleted your other post since you started your own. Have you tried what was mentioned in other post about Good lock?

Ill move this to the s23 Forum

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Littlefoot71

Jun 4, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to AC!

I deleted your other post since you started your own. Have you tried what was mentioned in other post about Good lock?

Ill move this to the s23 Forum
The Good Luck /Sound Assistant module seems to be for creating a custom vibration pattern. I don't care about creating a custom or new pattern. I just care about being able to assign one of the existing unique patterns available on the phone to specific contacts.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The Good Luck /Sound Assistant module seems to be for creating a custom vibration pattern. I don't care about creating a custom or new pattern. I just care about being able to assign one of the existing unique patterns available on the phone to specific contacts.
What message app you using?

Reactions: Laura Knotek

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Correct, textra can no longer do this as they could before. Lost it with one of the recent Android upgrades (not a Samsung thing).

I've found a workaround, but it's...tedious and it's not "custom" exactly, but you can set specific pre-defined vibration to certain contacts. I use MacroDroid, then set up a routine for incoming messages. It does require permissions to "monitor" your messages inbox

Add Trigger: SMS Received​
Select Option: Select Contact(s) - then choose your specific contact(s) for the custom vibration​
You then have some additional conditions you can set if you like (text matches or text exclusions. etc.)​
Click Ok​
Then Add Action: Device Actions -> Vibrate​
you can then choose from about 10 or so different vibration variants​
Click OK​
on Constraints, you can use if you can set this if needed (i.e. don't vibrate if during a Call)​
Label your Macro and save​

Also, you should go to Settings and ignore Battery Optimization - otherwise the app may get put into deep sleep and not work as intended.

It's not perfect and not nearly as customizable as what Textra used to offer, but it's the best way I've found that is close to the prior capability (and I've tried a BUNCH).

Littlefoot71

Jun 4, 2023
Visit site
Correct, textra can no longer do this as they could before. Lost it with one of the recent Android upgrades (not a Samsung thing).

I've found a workaround, but it's...tedious and it's not "custom" exactly, but you can set specific pre-defined vibration to certain contacts. I use MacroDroid, then set up a routine for incoming messages. It does require permissions to "monitor" your messages inbox

Add Trigger: SMS Received​
Select Option: Select Contact(s) - then choose your specific contact(s) for the custom vibration​
You then have some additional conditions you can set if you like (text matches or text exclusions. etc.)​
Click Ok​
Then Add Action: Device Actions -> Vibrate​
you can then choose from about 10 or so different vibration variants​
Click OK​
on Constraints, you can use if you can set this if needed (i.e. don't vibrate if during a Call)​
Label your Macro and save​

Also, you should go to Settings and ignore Battery Optimization - otherwise the app may get put into deep sleep and not work as intended.

It's not perfect and not nearly as customizable as what Textra used to offer, but it's the best way I've found that is close to the prior capability (and I've tried a BUNCH).
Someone on another forum suggested an app called BuzzKill. I don't really like that the apps have permissions to monitor my messages, but it sounds like it works similar to what you describe here with MacroDroid. Also, another use with an S22 Ultra said HER Textra still has the per contact vibration for texts! I'm not sure how.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49