How do I disable Google Now?

VegemiteKid

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
How to disable Google Now

I've recently switched from an iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy 4. While there are a few issues in adjusting, one major annoyance I am finding is something called 'Google Now' popping up wanting setup. Frankly I'm sick of this doing so and want it to go away, but I don't know how. I've disabled Google notifications and push, but it still keeps coming up - it just seems random with no pattern as to what I am using or doing. I can't delete it because it's not in Apps. There seems to be nothing about how to get rid of it on the 'net unless it's installed - which it's not.

Please help before I throw this phone into a wall. I'm loving 90% of it, except for all the maddening and idiotic notifications, prompts, and insistence to install useless rubbish I don't want... such as Google Now.

Cheers

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to disable Google Now

It's built into the Google Search app (blue square icon with a white G on it). You can choose not to participate buy going through the setup menu and hitting "no" when it asks you.

Just curious, why do you not want to use Google Now? That's one of the most useful things that exists in mobile (IMO), iOS has a version too. It basically puts your search capabilities on steroids, as well as providing you useful and relevant information at the right times, such as weather, upcoming appointments, sports scores, friend's birthdays and a really long list of other neat things.

chrisxpierce

Banned
Apr 28, 2013
Visit site

It's called Google Search, in apps, sorry. Now I have an HTC ONE., but it should be the same. I would think

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! I can understand your desire not to be burdened by features that you don't think you'll use, but Google Now is pretty neat, and continues to get more and more useful. Before you consider disabling it, check out this handy guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-tos/300182-guide-google-now.html

To disable it, first bring it up by holding the home button down until you see the Google logo appear, then swipe up to it. When Google Now appears, tap the menu button, then flip the Google Now switch to Off.

VegemiteKid

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

Why I don't want to use Google Now is that I am extremely leery of apps that force themselves to be installed while I'm trying to get into the swing of things. Especially when I'm doing something like shuffling music and all of a sudden the screen goes white and brings the install screen up. I like using apps on my terms, when I know what happens and how they work, as opposed to being forced or bullied into it. This is probably heresy, but for all the issues with iPhones, once you say 'no', they stop prompting you. I'd like all the distractions to stay in the background while I get up to speed with the device and then introduce it. I'm just very lucky most of my workmates have Android phones, they swayed me into getting one and have been helping me with some issues, but this one has them flummoxed. :)

Note: edited for spelling.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Why I don't want to use Google Now is that I am extremely leery of apps that force themselves to be installed while I'm trying to get into the swing of things. Especially when I'm doing something like shuffling music and all of a sudden the screen goes white and bring the install screen up. I like using apps on my terms, when I know what happens and how they work, as opposed to being forced or bullied into it. This is probably heresy, but for all the issues with iPhones, once you say 'no', they stop prompting you. I'd like all the distractions to stay in the background while I get up to speed with the device and then introduce it. I'm just very lucky most of my workmates have Android phone, they swayed me into getting one and have been helping me with some issues, but this one has them flummoxed. :)

Gotcha, yeah it comes on the device with anything running Jellybean or newer. Yeah, you can disable the search app or just opt-out int he GN settings as I and B. Diddy indicated. If anything else stumps your friends feel free to bring your issues here, lots of knowledge floating around :)

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

If a request to install an app is popping up and interfering with your music, something's not right. At most, you should have a little sign on the top of the screen in the notification bar. Can you describe what's happening and what the request to install actually says?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

VegemiteKid

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

If a request to install an app is popping up and interfering with your music, something's not right. At most, you should have a little sign on the top of the screen in the notification bar. Can you describe what's happening and what the request to install actually says?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
I'll be sure to take a screenshot next time it pops up. As I said, it appears to be random, I can't think of a common trigger for it at this stage. Thanks for your assistance.

VegemiteKid

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

Gotcha, yeah it comes on the device with anything running Jellybean or newer. Yeah, you can disable the search app or just opt-out int he GN settings as I and B. Diddy indicated. If anything else stumps your friends feel free to bring your issues here, lots of knowledge floating around :)

Thank you. I just want to confirm if this is the right forum to ask for recommendations with software? If not, I apologise. And thank you for the friendly help (and B. Diddy), I appreciate it. :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

This is always a good forum to ask general questions. Have fun getting used to Android, and let us know when you're ready to take the dive with Google Now!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Thank you. I just want to confirm if this is the right forum to ask for recommendations with software? If not, I apologise. And thank you for the friendly help (and B. Diddy), I appreciate it. :)

It's a good place to start a conversation. I can move it to something more jelly bean or Google Now specific or device specific, but it's a question that many people (some new to the forums) may have in common with you and we don't want them to have to search for it. Stop by here http://forums.androidcentral.com/introductions/ if you want to say hi :)

nixzero

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

I know this is an old thread, but I figured it was better than starting a new one. After reading about the benefits of this app, "such as weather, upcoming appointments, sports scores, friend's birthdays", I'm curious to know how to configure this app's "cards" to suit your needs. I don't like being notified unless an event happens, like a birthday or appointment. Like the My Magazine app that I'm stuck with on my Note 3, they try to "guess" what information is relevant to me, but are WAAAY off the mark.

How far off the mark? Well, the only notifications I get from Google Now are the weather and some traffic notifications that tell me my ETA to work. I already have a weather widget on my homescreen. As for the traffic updates, I lost my job over a month ago! Looking at the guide B Diddy posted, it looks like I can change the settings that allow the cards to function, but I'm hoping there's a way to pick and choose which ones I want. E.G., It looks like the only way to remove weather updates is to erase my location info?

stanlm2

May 2, 2011
Visit site

Great, I'll try this. Oh that is funny. On my moto g when you disable google search you get a dumb gray bar where the search bar used to be. Can't get rid of it. What a bummer for my background image.

Guess they really want everyone to use google now.

Well, that's one reason I don't want it. Another is a note/calendar tool that reminds me of less than 100% of things I track is worse than no calendar at all imo. And I already like another note/calendar/reminder app.
Also, I didn't have a problem needing to be solved with Now.

Not trying to troll those who like it, yea, it's a cool idea, swell, great idea. Just let me TURN IT OFF!... the built-in google apps now look like Carrier Bloat.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

You can always install an alternate launcher like Nova, which allows you to remove the Google Search Bar. Nova follows the same general design guidelines as Jellybean and KitKat, so it doesn't look radically different from stock Android.

TAK Clonety

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site

My new Motorola Moto G Global Edition is messing up with Google now as well. I would like to be able to use it, but everyone I plug in my ear buds (they don't have a mic on them) and star an app, Google now comes up. So I'll close it and go back to my app. Then it opens up again so u just leave it open and switch to the other app, but it comes up again. I mean that it fully switches the app, not just gives me a notification. The only solution I found was turning off Google search in the settings of my phone because Google now is turned off and still does it.

Galion Chris

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site

It's built into the Google Search app (blue square icon with a white G on it). You can choose not to participate buy going through the setup menu and hitting "no" when it asks you.

Just curious, why do you not want to use Google Now? That's one of the most useful things that exists in mobile (IMO), iOS has a version too. It basically puts your search capabilities on steroids, as well as providing you useful and relevant information at the right times, such as weather, upcoming appointments, sports scores, friend's birthdays and a really long list of other neat things.

Just got an HTC 1 and found this thread... I want to tell you why and support others here too... I have a smart phone because I need one for work for email, spiceworks, etc... I do not need or want a mobile computer in my pocket. I do not need or want Google to know everything about me. I do not need or want my phone tracking my location, thoughts, my friends birthdays... And the fact that this CANNOT be effectively disabled or removed is very disconserting. Does Google either think they have a right to all of this information? Or lack the humility to see not everyone in this world wants to be a part of the Google homogeny?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Just got an HTC 1 and found this thread... I want to tell you why and support others here too... I have a smart phone because I need one for work for email, spiceworks, etc... I do not need or want a mobile computer in my pocket. I do not need or want Google to know everything about me. I do not need or want my phone tracking my location, thoughts, my friends birthdays... And the fact that this CANNOT be effectively disabled or removed is very disconserting. Does Google either think they have a right to all of this information? Or lack the humility to see not everyone in this world wants to be a part of the Google homogeny?

Anyone is completely free to not use it by simply opting out when asked (if they ever open it) and no one is required to use the Google search app at all.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

You bought a phone running Google's Android OS. If you didn't want anything to do with Google, you should have explored different operating systems.

Edit: To expand on that, Google doesn't make any money from Android phones being sold (with the possible exception of the Nexus). They don't develop and support Android out of the goodness of their hearts, they do so to try to get people using the services that actually make them money (like Search, of which Google Now is a part). Complaining about Google Now is like asking why you can't disable the App Store or iTunes on an iPhone.

Last edited:

David Ballantine

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site

I'm about to throw my new S5 in the garbage and go back to a simpler phone. I am getting bombarded with calender notifications about events I did not register for but that I have been invited to by my Meetup and other App's. I get constant popups about having to leave now and how far these events are away despite the fact I never replied that I was going. I do not need 20+ prompts a day like this and have had no success in finding a way to disable them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny