How do I display only contacts with phone numbers on Lollipop?

van_basten

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
How to display only contacts with phone number on Lollipop

On my Nexus 5 with Android 4.4.4, the phone dialer had a "All Contacts" tab which only displayed my google contacts with phone numbers. That's the way I like it since I have a few hundred contacts in my google account and only 20% of them have phone numbers.

Now that I upgraded to Android 5, there is no "All Contact" tab in the dialer. Instead, there is a "Contacts" tab which basically show all my contacts with or without phone numbers. Setting "Contact to Display" in the "Contacts" app doesn't change the way Contact is being displayed in the dialer either. Is there any option to make the dialer to display only Contacts with phone number on Lollipop? Thanks.

AdrianFloresF

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
On my Nexus 5 with Android 4.4.4, the phone dialer had a "All Contacts" tab which only displayed my google contacts with phone numbers. That's the way I like it since I have a few hundred contacts in my google account and only 20% of them have phone numbers.

Now that I upgraded to Android 5, there is no "All Contact" tab in the dialer. Instead, there is a "Contacts" tab which basically show all my contacts with or without phone numbers. Setting "Contact to Display" in the "Contacts" app doesn't change the way Contact is being displayed in the dialer either. Is there any option to make the dialer to display only Contacts with phone number on Lollipop? Thanks.

I want to show only mobiles contacts too, I'm sure a lot of people do. Why would Google stop offering this option?

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I want to show only mobiles contacts too, I'm sure a lot of people do. Why would Google stop offering this option?

Just curious, how does the feature to show only mobile contacts in the dialer app help? I'm wondering because when I open the dialer, I always know who I want to call so type his/her name in the Search window. It will show matches with phone numbers. I just tap the right match.

yosifun

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
This has been an issue for me too, before Lollipop I was able to filter contacts without a number, now all of my contacts are shown..I hope Google will take notice of this and add this option in the future update.

AdrianFloresF

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Just curious, how does the feature to show only mobile contacts in the dialer app help? I'm wondering because when I open the dialer, I always know who I want to call so type his/her name in the Search window. It will show matches with phone numbers. I just tap the right match.

Maybe you're right, it's not that useful (I type the name too), but it just seems even more pointless to have Facebook contacts, Gmail contacts (with only email), etc. resulting in a huge contact list. If I want to send an email, I'll go to gmail and start tyiping the contact's name. If I want to find a facebook contact, I'll go to Facebook. It's not a big deal really, but I prefer a cleaner, shorter contact list.

hojaytee

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I have the same complaint about Lollipop, and it's a two-fold reason.

1) Pure aesthetics - It's nice to have a clean Contacts list which shows only the people I really care about. If you go to gmail Contacts, you can add people to "My Contacts", which is essentially Starring them as your close friends/most contacted. Then, in the phone app, you were given an option of which "List" you wanted to show, so I would only show the people I cared about most. Otherwise, it shows plenty of people who I may have emailed once 5 years ago, or who I don't even know but were part of a group message.

2) Travel Lists - I typically sort my contacts in different ways, and one of them is by geographic location. When I travel to a different city, I used to be able to go to my contacts list on my phone, and select a list for that city. With it, I have a small list of people who I can call or text. I don't always remember who's in a city, so the Contacts list is my way of seeing "oh, Andrew and Steve and Emily all live here, maybe I should text them!"

In addition, there is the personal preference of whether you like to scroll or whether you like to type. Typing requires a little more control and concentration (yes, only a tiny bit more, but there is a difference), and also maybe requires stretching your fingers to reach the right letter key. Scrolling is really, really lazy, and you can do it with less effort than typing. Also, it requires no concentration to find the right key (i.e. you can be doing something else while scrolling).

Derrickspencer

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
This issue has been with all Lollipop users. There is no any option to just show phone numbers on Android phones with Lollipop for now. I hope they will solve this issue in their next version.

MadMadness

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
I have the same complaint about Lollipop, and it's a two-fold reason.

1) Pure aesthetics - It's nice to have a clean Contacts list which shows only the people I really care about. If you go to gmail Contacts, you can add people to "My Contacts", which is essentially Starring them as your close friends/most contacted. Then, in the phone app, you were given an option of which "List" you wanted to show, so I would only show the people I cared about most. Otherwise, it shows plenty of people who I may have emailed once 5 years ago, or who I don't even know but were part of a group message.

2) Travel Lists - I typically sort my contacts in different ways, and one of them is by geographic location. When I travel to a different city, I used to be able to go to my contacts list on my phone, and select a list for that city. With it, I have a small list of people who I can call or text. I don't always remember who's in a city, so the Contacts list is my way of seeing "oh, Andrew and Steve and Emily all live here, maybe I should text them!"

In addition, there is the personal preference of whether you like to scroll or whether you like to type. Typing requires a little more control and concentration (yes, only a tiny bit more, but there is a difference), and also maybe requires stretching your fingers to reach the right letter key. Scrolling is really, really lazy, and you can do it with less effort than typing. Also, it requires no concentration to find the right key (i.e. you can be doing something else while scrolling).

Very well said!

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to display only contacts with phone number on Lollipop

So still no fix for this I take it...

Posted via the Android Central App

Travis1701

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site

There's no fix because it's not an issue. It's intended that way. I wish it wasn't too, but I can live with that.

Actually, it is important. My car will only important a set number of contacts. Now that I have the Samsung S6, any can't show only contacts with numbers I have too many contacts. Each time my phone pairs with my car it fails to load contacts because there are to many. The only way I can voice dial from my car is to say the number now. Very annoying.

dotwalk

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I also prefer to scroll. I don't remember names of some contacts I've saved, for ex different doctors offices, insurance numbers, random reps at companies whose names I can recognize in a list, but when I guess/ type, I get a whole list from the internet rather than the one specific number that I saved in my "All Contacts" list for a reason. Anyone figured out how to make a custom list of contacts?? My texting app still has this list, would love to have that available in phone.

Rajeev Kumar Singh

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site

I Had same Problem and I solve it it not 100% but ok for me atleast.

I would say you must not use Google Contacts, just avoid it. Also use either Whatsapp contact or Skype this will help in having only phone no and not thus bulky email contacts. I hope this will help you out

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site

I'm sure many of you have moved on, and usually I'm all all about evolving and adapting new design patterns, but this one is a no go for me (Got my new S6 a few days ago and this is the one thing I can't stand). I fully acknowledge that typing somebody's name in a contact list is the best way, but I'm still a scrolling kind of man, and even if I wasn't, I like the idea of a clean list. Additionally, my contact list for work (we use google apps) includes directory results so searching for "Chris" almost requires typing the full name. So I decided to write some code on the google platform to fix this problem (not an app, contact mgmt code), you guys can use it if you want.

I figured that displaying only "My Contacts" from the custom option in lollipop is the best foundation for this, which makes sense in my head because any contact you create by hand (ex: quickly put a number into your phone) goes into that group, so obviously you want those to instantly be in your contact list. However, the downside to "My Contacts" is that google will decide to put other people in there. I don't know the exact logic they use, but randos seem to pop in there even if they don't have a phone number. A different/opposite disadvantage to using "My Contacts" is people outside of the "My Contacts" group that have a phone number but don't show up in the android list because I forgot to add them to the "My Contacts" group (usually people you start emailing, then decide to throw their number in later).

SO

My code can run every night and does the following:
  • Any person in "My Contacts" without a phone number is removed from that group.
  • Any person not in "My Contacts" but has a phone number is added to the group (public numbers in their Google+ profile don't count)
  • You can add any contact to a group called: "Disable Auto Grouping" (you would create it) to prevent the code from messing with it under any circumstance, just in case you want a numberless contact to stay on your android the list or visa versa.

This is effectively the same functionality achieved in a more 90s batch processing sort of way, but now I have a nice clean list of contacts with phone numbers. If google decides to pop in a random person without a number, I pop that person back out (in theory anybody you remove will stay out).

To get this to work for you, it's a few steps that may be intimidating if you've never seen code, but it's pretty easy
  • Go to this link to open the code.
  • If you want to test first (you should probably test first) to see what actions it would take, select "TestItFirst" from the drop down that says "Select Function" and then press the play button slightly to the left. It will ask you to authorize and if "manage your contacts" freaks you out, you can have your nerd friend read the code to assure you that it's not doing anything shady. After it's done (will take a few mins, see disclaimer), go to "View --> Logs" and it will list will be removed from My Contacts and who will be added in.
  • When you're ready, select "RunForReals" from that same dropdown and press the play button again. It will actually move stuff around...for reals.

If you like what you see you can schedule it to run every night by going to "Resources --> Current Projects Triggers" and selecting "New Trigger". Be sure to select the "RunForReals" function when scheduling and don't schedule more often than once a day...you'll probably hit API limits.

A few disclaimers:
  • I'm not a developer, so I'm sure experts would make fun of my code. It works for me, not guaranteed to work for you.
  • I tested this on a set of 600 contacts, if you have a lot of contacts I'm not sure if you'll hit limits in google or not.
  • Because the google API doesn't let me interact the way I want to, I could only accomplish this in what I consider a pretty inefficient manner. It takes about 2 minutes to process the 600 contacts I have, so do the math on the number of contacts you have.
  • During my testing I once got an error once that I was over the quota of how many API calls I could make per second. I coded a solution to take a breather if this happens, but never tested it because I couldn't get the error to happen again. If you get an error about being over a quota, just wait a few mins and try again.

I'm sure most would see this as complete overkill (I certainly do), but I don't want a third party contact manager unless I wrote it myself (and I'm not smart enough to do that) and this is one of those things that drives me crazy enough to fix with a few lines of code.

Rob Just Rob

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Renaming you to DE-Stress Machine. Script worked great. It missed about 8 contacts with phone numbers, not sure why, but saved me hours of time. Thanks

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Renaming you to DE-Stress Machine. Script worked great. It missed about 8 contacts with phone numbers, not sure why, but saved me hours of time. Thanks

The ones that I noticed where it missed numbers after messing around is 1.) if the number is linked to a corporate directory or 2.) the number is part of their google + profile. Other than that, might just be crappy programming on my part but glad it worked for most.

Calvin Do

May 18, 2015
Visit site
This IS an issue when I'm trying to make a call or make a text and having to scroll down 80% of my contacts that have no phone numbers. What's the POINT?

AdrianFloresF

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

It's not an issue for you, so it's not an issue for any of the rest of us?

I meant that it's not an issue in the sense that it's not something that is missbehaving or not working properly. Google made it that way. That's why I say that there's no fix because there's nothing to fix. You misinterpreted what I said.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante