How do I fix, LG G6 'Invalid SIM Card'?

ec97

Aug 2, 2018
Visit site
I recently ordered the LG G6 H872 4G LTE T-Mobile GSM phone and I am trying to connect it to my Cricket Wireless SIM card. However, I would get the notification from Wi-Fi Calling saying "Invalid SIM card". I am unable to use by mobile data or text/call. Does anyone know hot to fix this?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
re:

Could this phone be carrier locked?

UPDATE: Upon further review it appears that is the T-Mobile model. Maybe try one of T-Mobile's MVOs? Such as MetroPCS or Mint Mobile?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
re:

Yes, it is carrier locked. Even if you were able to unlock it, I doubt wifi calling would ever work. That seems to be a T-Mobile thing.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
re:

Yes, it is carrier locked. Even if you were able to unlock it, I doubt wifi calling would ever work. That seems to be a T-Mobile thing.

IF he used a T-Mobile based MVO, such as Mint Mobile, WiFi calling probably would work.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
re:

IF he used a T-Mobile based MVO, such as Mint Mobile, WiFi calling probably would work.

Not necessarily. Just because a discount carrier uses T-Mobile's infrastructure doesn't mean all T-Mobile features would be available.

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
re:

Wifi calling is not even the whole issue - "unable to use mobile data" is listed too.

But yeah, this would be locked to the Tmo network. If buying a phone intending to use it on another network, you need the US997 unlocked model.

T-mobile will unlock devices for you, but only under certain conditions (most notably by having already paid them sufficiently to use it on their network), if you're a current customer. If you bought the phone from a T-mobile customer and they meet the requirements, they can try to request it to be unlocked.

T-mobile might unlock it for you for a fee but I have no idea how you would request this as a non-customer. There are also 3rd party services that will do this for a fee ($10-25), and this is probably going to be your easiest route, but be careful if you decide to do this that you don't get scammed.