How do I get my LG G5 back, from the stupid Android update today?!

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Dude! I cant think of a much better way for me - a novice user, to brick my phone, than to delve into that. :)

Well ok, it's tempting, if I just keep it that simple. :)

Huh...yeah. :)

Thanks Greendog. Let me see what that other battery app mentioned above, can do first. :)

Hard to do, with it residing on my phone now. :)
I use AccuBattery myself but not to tell me which application is draining the battery. Keep in mind another app running drains more battery.

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Wow, I'm shocked. I took the phone off the charger 2-1/2 hours ago, haven't used any apps, and it's down to 50% battery now.

AND I took a photo in the supermarket, and instead of just snapping it, it too 2 seconds to snap it, and 10 seconds to save it - blocking me from taking another one, while this was going on. I hope I don't have an emergency, where I need to take a bunch of photos FAST. This Android 8 is doing this?!

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
If you go to your settings and tap the "Build Number" seven times android will grant you "developer options".

Not seeing any "Build Number" in settings. What am I missing?

Down to 46% now. Dropping about 1% every few minutes...

Oh wait. Googled this: LG G5. If you need to facilitate a connection between your device and a computer with the Android SDK (software development kit), view this info. If Developer Options are unavailable, navigate: Settings > System > About phone > Software info then tap Build number seven times.

Ahah...Ok, "you are now a developer". Whoo hoo! Who woulda thought? :)

Ok, under services, I see lots of stuff running, but it only tells how much RAM. How do I tell which one is draining the battery?

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
AccuBattery had some per app readings for me, but the whole phone went from 100% to 0% in 6 hours and shut down, so I couldn't get them in time. Will have to update this tomorrow.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I'm shocked. I took the phone off the charger 2-1/2 hours ago, haven't used any apps, and it's down to 50% battery now.

Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like the aforementioned AccuBattery or GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well this is weird. I just took it off the charger this morning and it's not draining like that now - still at 100% a half hour later. Wasn't someone saying that it could take up to a week for the new OS to adjust things?

But yesterday the big drains were from MileIQ and Airmore.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Well this is weird. I just took it off the charger this morning and it's not draining like that now - still at 100% a half hour later. Wasn't someone saying that it could take up to a week for the new OS to adjust things?

But yesterday the big drains were from MileIQ and Airmore.

Yeah hopefully your phone has had a chance to reconfigure so to speak.

If you still find you're having issues later try to follow B's advice above. If you can provide that info we have a better chance of diagnosing your problem and better assisting you.

Anyways let us know how it goes in the next day or so.

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Things were fine until yesterday. I was using MileIQ and Google Maps for GPS, to drive to a location just west of Denver in an area with low cell phone reception, apparently. Suddenly the phone SHUTS DOWN! Bam! Gone! I turned it back on and everything was messed up until we came down from that hilly area. Almost no bars on the phone. No apparent GPS signals. Maps wouldn't work, and we had to find our way back down without the GPS.

And I'm remembering the call that we got from Verizon a few months ago; Your phone is out of date and you should come in and upgrade. I was offended. The phone worked fine, I told him! Are you pushing for more money? Because every time we upgrade, that's at LEAST $400 for a new phone, AND I lose all my apps, because NO ONE from Verizon has EVER shown me how to back up EVERYTHING RELIABLY.

So now with this happening yesterday, I'm REALLY wondering of these phones have programmed in failure dates, because this isn't the first time. OR it could have just been that weird hilly area we were in...

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Is anyone still reading this?

I found out what's going on:

Android Phone Timed Obsolescence?!

This has been driving me crazy for a few years now. I take good care of my Android phones. After 2 years, they’re still in great shape. Then all of a sudden, they don’t work right anymore. I take the phone in to the store of my provider and ask why. I get told that “it’s time for an upgrade”, then I get shown the latest greatest phone with the same screen size, which will “only” be an extra $XX a month, for two years.

Ah, but I was good at math in school. I multiply that out and it comes to $400-$600!

So I get the new phone, and take good care of it for two years, and bam! The same thing happens!

So when I did the Android Operating System update on my LG G5, on September 21st, I didn’t quite expect this. But suddenly, the phone started spontaneously shutting down! Now I used the phone for GPS with Google Maps, for my work, so it’s extremely annoying to be on the way between stops, and suddenly have the !@#$ phone shut down on me. And I start it back up and try again, and it shuts down again!

In Android forum circles, this is known as “making a brick out of your phone”!

So I storm into the Verizon store, nearly in tears, and the slick salesman explains condescendingly to me – a mere woman – that this just means it’s time for a newer phone, at “only $XX a month”, for two years. Only NOW, I do the math, and these “latest greatest” phones are $600-$900! And he admits that “technology is always changing”, and the life cycle of these phones is only 2 years, not matter how well I take care of them.

( Is this reminding any of you, of the sci-fi novel “Brave New World”? Have any of you read that? You SHOULD! )

So I reply that it JUST happened after the Android update on September 21st! THEN he explains to me that the Android systems are written for the newer phones, so they may not work well on the “older” ( 2 year old ) phones. What?! You mean they write the Android updates so they BRICK phones that are 2 years old, so people HAVE TO BUY NEW ONES?! SERIOUSLY?! How many of you, from the news lately, are now familiar with the word “collusion”?! COULD IT BE that the manufacturers are in “collusion” with the Android code people, so that they BRICK your phone every 2 years and you have to shell out another $600+ bucks? And I’m wondering if this might be grounds for class action lawsuits?

Can you EVEN IMAGINE, if Microsoft had done this every two years, with the computer manufacturers? Why everyone would leave for Apple! Or they’d have MASSIVE LAWSUITS! NO! Microsoft wouldn’t DARE! My last PC lasted for 8 years with Windows, until finally I made the MISTAKE of accepting the “free” download of Windows 10, and it wouldn’t work with my 8 year old hardware, and “BRICKED” my desktop. But hey, 8 years!

So I tried to live with this shutdown problem, but finally a week later, I stormed back into the Verizon store – this time even more on the verge of tears! I’m running a part time home based business, and I’m a senior! I can’t be buying new $600+ phones every two years, just because the manufacturers appear to be in COLLUSION with Android to SUCK MY BLOOD like VAMPIRES!

So this salesman points out that the phone appears to be thinking the battery is low – even though it’s NOT, and shutting the phone down, AND that I’ve been paying them $10 a month for “INSURANCE”, and this phone is apparently BAD ( DUH – because it was BRICKED by the ANDROID UPDATE! ) So they’ll just send me a new one – no charge. Awww! How great is that? BUT what if THAT one has been bricked by the same Android update of September 21, 2018? “Oh NO, THIS one WILL WORK”, he replies. “Yay!”, I think – cautiously optimistic.

So they overnight the “new” LG G5 out to me on Saturday, and I get it yesterday, on Monday, with very stern admonition to ship the old one back within 5 days, or they could charge me $400! SERIOUSLY?!

So I open the “new” one, this afternoon, and JUST put Google maps on it, so I can try it out tonight, when I run around town. I’m in the middle of a trip and BAM! It shuts down. I turn it on again, and BAM – SHUTS DOWN!

So now I have to go back to the Verizon store tomorrow, and am wondering where this will go, THIS TIME? But I’m not near tears – THIS time I’m furious! This is NOT the way to treat your customers, phone manufacturers and Android!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2015/04/02/smartphone-obsolescence-android-iphone/?fbclid=IwAR0FLhEFH9an6eAqPKCKPGaUpv0-Tt-cCUcZj70W6ZrEtNv96d0HIXlV2Yo#6484bbb12fc8

SO I went back to Verizon, and they said they'd ship me another LG G5, because I have the insurance. I told them "NO", because the very definition of insanity is doing the same thing over & over, even though it's not working.

So I'll be darned if I'm going to spend $600-$1000 every 2 years, upon obsolescence, because of this apparent COLLUSION between Android and the phone manufacturers! The only choice I had, was to downgrade to the Samsung Galaxy J7 V. Less of everything. Less memory, a poorer camera, just the basics. But $240. This stinks, but I’m not going to play this game and be even more victimized by these people, every 2 years.

Meanwhile they gave me back the second BRICKED LG G5. I asked if it could be reverted to the previous OS and they said yes, by someone who knows rooting, and all that. I don’t. So I’m wondering if I might be able to sell it on Ebay, to someone who can, and recover some of my looted money?

Very disgusted...

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Can I sell this LG G5 now, to someone who can root and revert the OS to before September 21st? Would anyone buy it like that, if I put it on Ebay for example?

I was even thinking of using it just for the camera, because this Moto Z3 doesn't seem like as good a camera, but it won't turn on, without the chip in it.

Ultraman1966

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone still reading this?

I found out what's going on:

Android Phone Timed Obsolescence?!

This has been driving me crazy for a few years now. I take good care of my Android phones. After 2 years, they’re still in great shape. Then all of a sudden, they don’t work right anymore. I take the phone in to the store of my provider and ask why. I get told that “it’s time for an upgrade”, then I get shown the latest greatest phone with the same screen size, which will “only” be an extra $XX a month, for two years.

Ah, but I was good at math in school. I multiply that out and it comes to $400-$600!

So I get the new phone, and take good care of it for two years, and bam! The same thing happens!

So when I did the Android Operating System update on my LG G5, on September 21st, I didn’t quite expect this. But suddenly, the phone started spontaneously shutting down! Now I used the phone for GPS with Google Maps, for my work, so it’s extremely annoying to be on the way between stops, and suddenly have the !@#$ phone shut down on me. And I start it back up and try again, and it shuts down again!

In Android forum circles, this is known as “making a brick out of your phone”!

So I storm into the Verizon store, nearly in tears, and the slick salesman explains condescendingly to me – a mere woman – that this just means it’s time for a newer phone, at “only $XX a month”, for two years. Only NOW, I do the math, and these “latest greatest” phones are $600-$900! And he admits that “technology is always changing”, and the life cycle of these phones is only 2 years, not matter how well I take care of them.

( Is this reminding any of you, of the sci-fi novel “Brave New World”? Have any of you read that? You SHOULD! )

So I reply that it JUST happened after the Android update on September 21st! THEN he explains to me that the Android systems are written for the newer phones, so they may not work well on the “older” ( 2 year old ) phones. What?! You mean they write the Android updates so they BRICK phones that are 2 years old, so people HAVE TO BUY NEW ONES?! SERIOUSLY?! How many of you, from the news lately, are now familiar with the word “collusion”?! COULD IT BE that the manufacturers are in “collusion” with the Android code people, so that they BRICK your phone every 2 years and you have to shell out another $600+ bucks? And I’m wondering if this might be grounds for class action lawsuits?

Can you EVEN IMAGINE, if Microsoft had done this every two years, with the computer manufacturers? Why everyone would leave for Apple! Or they’d have MASSIVE LAWSUITS! NO! Microsoft wouldn’t DARE! My last PC lasted for 8 years with Windows, until finally I made the MISTAKE of accepting the “free” download of Windows 10, and it wouldn’t work with my 8 year old hardware, and “BRICKED” my desktop. But hey, 8 years!

So I tried to live with this shutdown problem, but finally a week later, I stormed back into the Verizon store – this time even more on the verge of tears! I’m running a part time home based business, and I’m a senior! I can’t be buying new $600+ phones every two years, just because the manufacturers appear to be in COLLUSION with Android to SUCK MY BLOOD like VAMPIRES!

So this salesman points out that the phone appears to be thinking the battery is low – even though it’s NOT, and shutting the phone down, AND that I’ve been paying them $10 a month for “INSURANCE”, and this phone is apparently BAD ( DUH – because it was BRICKED by the ANDROID UPDATE! ) So they’ll just send me a new one – no charge. Awww! How great is that? BUT what if THAT one has been bricked by the same Android update of September 21, 2018? “Oh NO, THIS one WILL WORK”, he replies. “Yay!”, I think – cautiously optimistic.

So they overnight the “new” LG G5 out to me on Saturday, and I get it yesterday, on Monday, with very stern admonition to ship the old one back within 5 days, or they could charge me $400! SERIOUSLY?!

So I open the “new” one, this afternoon, and JUST put Google maps on it, so I can try it out tonight, when I run around town. I’m in the middle of a trip and BAM! It shuts down. I turn it on again, and BAM – SHUTS DOWN!

So now I have to go back to the Verizon store tomorrow, and am wondering where this will go, THIS TIME? But I’m not near tears – THIS time I’m furious! This is NOT the way to treat your customers, phone manufacturers and Android!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2015/04/02/smartphone-obsolescence-android-iphone/?fbclid=IwAR0FLhEFH9an6eAqPKCKPGaUpv0-Tt-cCUcZj70W6ZrEtNv96d0HIXlV2Yo#6484bbb12fc8

SO I went back to Verizon, and they said they'd ship me another LG G5, because I have the insurance. I told them "NO", because the very definition of insanity is doing the same thing over & over, even though it's not working.

So I'll be darned if I'm going to spend $600-$1000 every 2 years, upon obsolescence, because of this apparent COLLUSION between Android and the phone manufacturers! The only choice I had, was to downgrade to the Samsung Galaxy J7 V. Less of everything. Less memory, a poorer camera, just the basics. But $240. This stinks, but I’m not going to play this game and be even more victimized by these people, every 2 years.

Meanwhile they gave me back the second BRICKED LG G5. I asked if it could be reverted to the previous OS and they said yes, by someone who knows rooting, and all that. I don’t. So I’m wondering if I might be able to sell it on Ebay, to someone who can, and recover some of my looted money?

Very disgusted...
There's no collusion. Android is a google OS which manufacturers like LG take and modify to run their phones. Phones which run stock Android; where the manufacturers have not tinkered with it much will nearly always run as smooth and as well as the day it first booted up.
The trouble is, most OEMs will give up on their phones after a year (usually before that) and make a really slapdash or pathetic final update at around 18 months.
The Oreo (Android version 8) update you received was released by google to the OEMs in final form back in Aug2017... it took LG over a year to get it onto our G5s.
If you have a problem, blame the OEMs; Google have tried to make it easier for them to update their phones (like Project Treble) but bottomline is that selling new hardware makes more money.
Not sure why you went with a low spec galaxy; the Nokia range for that price is actually decent and runs almost stock Android. I can guarantee you that Samsung will see barely any updates and will almost definitely start to grind after a year.

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
There's no collusion. Android is a google OS which manufacturers like LG take and modify to run their phones. Phones which run stock Android; where the manufacturers have not tinkered with it much will nearly always run as smooth and as well as the day it first booted up.

OK.

The trouble is, most OEMs will give up on their phones after a year (usually before that) and make a really slapdash or pathetic final update at around 18 months.
The Oreo (Android version 8) update you received was released by google to the OEMs in final form back in Aug2017... it took LG over a year to get it onto our G5s.

Jeez. :(

If you have a problem, blame the OEMs; Google have tried to make it easier for them to update their phones (like Project Treble) but bottom line is that selling new hardware makes more money.

Shafting customers is BAD BUSINESS.
EXCEPT THEY'RE ALL DOING IT!

I used to build Heathkits, back in the 80's, and some of them are STILL running. Ok, it's not a phone, but hardware LASTS, and when I take care of a phone and it's in nearly new condition, it REALLY ANGERS ME when they obsolete it via OS!

Not sure why you went with a low spec galaxy; the Nokia range for that price is actually decent and runs almost stock Android. I can guarantee you that Samsung will see barely any updates and will almost definitely start to grind after a year.

I honestly don't know what the latest greatest is, and foolishly have relied on store sales people, which I should stop doing. But I have a small home based business, and rely on the phone, so when it bricks, I'm messed up and MUST do something FAST.

But the store people ONLY CARE about selling the highest priced stuff they can give us. They don't give a flying HOOT about ME.

SO this past month, I told them that my business needs phone calls and the GPS for going to locations that I deliver to, AND I'm an amateur photographer all my life and like a nice camera in the phone, but cant afford $600-1200 for a phone that will only last 2 years.

So they suggested the Moto Z3 and told me that it's not the latest greatest now ( in other respects than what I NEED ) but that Motorola puts a lot into their cameras and the camera is top notch.

I DISAGREE NOW. This camera seems to under-expose and the quality isn't anywhere near as nice as the LG G5 was. But I'm stuck for 2 years. :(

Frankly, I don't know why there's not a consumer rebellion against this behavior, but maybe people are too stupid and educationally crippled these days, and only want the latest greatest and games. I don't know.

Ultraman1966

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
OK.

Jeez. :(

Shafting customers is BAD BUSINESS.
EXCEPT THEY'RE ALL DOING IT!

I used to build Heathkits, back in the 80's, and some of them are STILL running. Ok, it's not a phone, but hardware LASTS, and when I take care of a phone and it's in nearly new condition, it REALLY ANGERS ME when they obsolete it via OS!

I honestly don't know what the latest greatest is, and foolishly have relied on store sales people, which I should stop doing. But I have a small home based business, and rely on the phone, so when it bricks, I'm messed up and MUST do something FAST.

But the store people ONLY CARE about selling the highest priced stuff they can give us. They don't give a flying HOOT about ME.

SO this past month, I told them that my business needs phone calls and the GPS for going to locations that I deliver to, AND I'm an amateur photographer all my life and like a nice camera in the phone, but cant afford $600-1200 for a phone that will only last 2 years.

So they suggested the Moto Z3 and told me that it's not the latest greatest now ( in other respects than what I NEED ) but that Motorola puts a lot into their cameras and the camera is top notch.

I DISAGREE NOW. This camera seems to under-expose and the quality isn't anywhere near as nice as the LG G5 was. But I'm stuck for 2 years. :(

Frankly, I don't know why there's not a consumer rebellion against this behavior, but maybe people are too stupid and educationally crippled these days, and only want the latest greatest and games. I don't know.
Yeah, a lot of OEMs suck and that's why I got a Pixel 2 after ditching my LG G5 early. I have guaranteed updates for 2 plus years which will be as good as it gets because it is straight from Google.
Yes, the Z3 is just a slightly upgrade for the Z2 so it's not ideal although it's not the worst choice. I think they definitely lied when they said that Motorola puts a lot into their cameras (as you've regrettable found out). I know you were desperate but you really should have consulted us before leaping onto another 2 year contract...

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, a lot of OEMs suck and that's why I got a Pixel 2 after ditching my LG G5 early. I have guaranteed updates for 2 plus years which will be as good as it gets because it is straight from Google.
Yes, the Z3 is just a slightly upgrade for the Z2 so it's not ideal although it's not the worst choice. I think they definitely lied when they said that Motorola puts a lot into their cameras (as you've regrettable found out). I know you were desperate but you really should have consulted us before leaping onto another 2 year contract...

Just thinking about this. The Z3 camera is terrible. I did a video of my parakeet talking, and it came out DARK, in a brightly lit room that previously ( with the LG G5 ) would have been great!

So I looked up the receipt. I got the Z3 on October 24th. Verizon has a 2 week return policy, so today is day 11. I'd have to pay a $50 "restocking fee", but it would be WORTH it if I can get the kind of phone I need & WANT this time! So here's what I need, and it needs to be readily available from Verizon, with no gaps in my phone usage this week:

Good basic phone service of course ( a given with Verizon )

A sensitive GPS receiver. The LG G5 was terrible with that and used to run us around in circles when it couldn't even tell where we were. The Z3 is much improved over that.

THE best camera I can get in a phone, without paying exorbitantly. Something I can take great photos and videos with, because it's my lifelong hobby and enjoyment.

And of course, without spending $600-$1000? If that's possible?

Need to know this ASAP though, please, if I'm going to get this done by Wednesday?

Thanks! :)