How do I remove Google Now's white band from screen?

Snkan

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
How to remove Google Now's white band from screen

Updated Android 5 (Lollipop) in my Nexus 5.
For some reason, the Google Now now shows up as a think opaque white band and obstructs the wallpaper (screen shot attached).
In the earlier version this was transparent OR will come up only when swiped to the right.
How to remove this white opaque band and either bring back a transparent band or make it swipable ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-30-11-42-23.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-30-11-42-23.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 451

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to remove Google Now's white band from screen

Welcome to Android Central! You're talking about the Google Search bar, right? You can't change it, unless you root the phone or install a 3rd party launcher like Nova Launcher.

Snkan

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site

Apparently Lollipop has a flaw as in the earlier version this Google Search Bar was transparent and did not completely cover the wallpaper.
In this version 5, this Bar shows up in solid white with no way to increase the transperancy ratio either.
What a pity - for someone who rarely uses this option, it is an absolute nuisance - with no way of even removing it or even relocating it.

vizray

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site

the google bar is a widget that you can drag to the trash bin but it does remove the program, go to the playstore and try to update google, then put the google search widget back on the screen, I don't think there is a setting on the phone for transparency, there is only a couple widgets I have on my s5 that has transparency and that is the google search bar widget and evernote widget

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site

As B. Diddy said, you can get rid of the persistent Google search bar by using a third-party launcher. I use Nova Launcher, which lets you choose the style of the search bar (Lollipop, KitKat, Ice Cream Sandwich or even Honeycomb) or even remove the bar altogether. Below is my home screen.

2014-11-30 06.50.11.jpg

LeSaint

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

You can't change it, unless you root the phone or install a 3rd party launcher like Nova Launcher.

You don't need to root to use a 3rd party launcher. Some functionalities might not work, but for the most of it it's ok. And if it's just to remove the search bar or have a transparent one, rooting id not necessary.

UncleLes

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

I use Nova as well, but for some reason I have a search bar that appears only on the Most Recent Apps screen that I can't figure out how to get rid of......

As B. Diddy said, you can get rid of the persistent Google search bar by using a third-party launcher. I use Nova Launcher, which lets you choose the style of the search bar (Lollipop, KitKat, Ice Cream Sandwich or even Honeycomb) or even remove the bar altogether. Below is my home screen.

Daihard - Can you tell me what app/widget you are using on that home screen, please!

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site

I use Nova as well, but for some reason I have a search bar that appears only on the Most Recent Apps screen that I can't figure out how to get rid of......
Yeah, I see the same issue on mine. I'd venture to guess it's a bug in Nova Launcher. I will send them mail to ask about it.

Daihard - Can you tell me what app/widget you are using on that home screen, please!

It is called Chronus. Here's the link. The Pro version has more widget types, but you can do mine with the free version.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.dvtonder.chronus&token=1qi5pRID

UncleLes

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site

Thanks! I had a homescreen widget I liked before the reset and I can't recall where I got it. If Chronus does lockscreen widgets as well on 5.0 I'll be ecstatic.

IIRC, Lollipop doesn't support lock screen widgets. Hope I'm wrong, though.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

You don't need to root to use a 3rd party launcher. Some functionalities might not work, but for the most of it it's ok. And if it's just to remove the search bar or have a transparent one, rooting id not necessary.

Oh yes, I know. I suggested rooting OR a 3rd party launcher ... :)

UncleLes

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, I see the same issue on mine. I'd venture to guess it's a bug in Nova Launcher. I will send them mail to ask about it

I sent them a screen shot and asked why that was the only screen that had a search bar even though I had checked the Persistent Search Bar setting and that others were seeing it as well. They have always been known as a responsive dev so I will likely get a response and will post it.

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

I use Nova Launcher and don't have that problem in the recent apps. (I have Nova Launcher's "Persistent Search Bar" setting set to "None", for what's it's worth or not.)

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site

I use Nova Launcher and don't have that problem in the recent apps. (I have Nova Launcher's "Persistent Search Bar" setting set to "None", for what's it's worth or not.)
That's what I have as well, but I still see the Search bar in the Recent Apps screen. I reverted to Google Now Launcher and back again to Nova, just to see if that solved the problem. It didn't. Well, it's not a big deal. I hardly ever visit the Recent Apps screen. :)

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

Updated Android 5 (Lollipop) in my Nexus 5.
For some reason, the Google Now now shows up as a think opaque white band and obstructs the wallpaper (screen shot attached).
In the earlier version this was transparent OR will come up only when swiped to the right.
How to remove this white opaque band and either bring back a transparent band or make it swipable ?

It was transparent in whatever was before Jelly Bean... Ice Cream Sandwich, then not transparent in Jelly Bean. Set the launcher to turn it off and then add it to whatever screen as the Search widget. Don't have Lollipop yet so don't know why it would show on the recent apps. Also I'm rooted so my recent apps come up as a column on the right side of my screen. Don't remember how it used to work. (ie the normal way)

Joel Sciberras

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys I'm having a similar issue.. Both myngirlfriend and I are running Google bow launcher on our phones. My phone is a oneplus one running cm11s 4.4.4 kitkat and her phone is a galaxy s5 running 4.4.2 kitkat up until today her Google now launcher has been exactly as mine was: transparent Google search bar at top, transparent black app drawer icon and transparent black app drawer background color, but as of today its solid white everything.. More inline with the material design theme of lollipop while mine remains the same. What happened here and how do I fix it? Neither of us in on lollipop so I don't understand the switch on one but not the other.. The solid white in the app drawer is extremely off putting

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

That's what I have as well, but I still see the Search bar in the Recent Apps screen. I reverted to Google Now Launcher and back again to Nova, just to see if that solved the problem. It didn't. Well, it's not a big deal. I hardly ever visit the Recent Apps screen. :)
Same here. If I turn it off I still get it on my recent apps menu. The Google Search app is useless at best anyway because what it the point if you search for something and then you click on a link just to open up in a external browser like Chrome. It is easier just to search in Chrome then.

Tjeerd Bakker

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site

Hey Daihard2008,

Do you have the lollipop update or are you using nova launcher to change the back/home/recent apps icons? The same question with the apps that are displayed in the picture. Also, I absolutely LOVE your wallpaper, could you perhaps tell me where you got it from? ^^

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma