How do I turn off auto-correct on the HTC One M9?

A

AC Question

I feel like a dullard asking this, but how do I turn off autocorrect? I can't find the option, and if I go to "Language & keyboard" HTC Sense Input is grayed out and can't be turned off.

What am I missing?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you actually using the HTC Sense Input keyboard, or some other keyboard? If you go to Settings>Language & Input, are you saying that you can't tap HTC Sense Input at all? You don't tap that to turn it off--you tap it to get to the keyboard options.

The other thing to try is to turn off the Spell Checker in that menu.

htsee

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Hello and thanks for the kind welcome.

Yes, I am using the HTC Sense Input keyboard.

Screenshot_2015-10-12-16-44-02.jpgScreenshot_2015-10-12-16-44-15.jpgScreenshot_2015-10-12-16-44-21.jpgScreenshot_2015-10-12-16-44-26.jpg

On the last screenshot "Language & keyboard" > "KEYBOARD & INPUT METHODS" THAT SHOWS "gOOGLE VOICE TYPING" AND "HTC Sense Input", nothing is clickable, including the "ON" switch.

The "Spell checker" option is visual only, underlining misspelled words. It has no effect on the auto-correct.

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-12-16-44-02.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-10-12-16-44-02.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_2015-10-12-16-44-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-10-12-16-44-15.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_2015-10-12-16-44-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-10-12-16-44-21.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 29

htsee

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
I wanted to add that I can turn off prediction

Language & keyboard > HTC Sense Input settings > Advanced > Word prediction

which turns off autocorrect. However, it is nice to be able to select from predicted words. But I want to select them, not have them selected for me without control. It doesn't seem like there is a happy medium, it's all or nothing.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Two questions:

1. On that second screenshot, are you tapping "Current Keyboard" or "HTC Sense Input"?

2. Also on that second screenshot, what if you turn off Spell Checker?

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I have the same question and issue. Say I want to text the sentence, "Arg, this is so frustrating".
If I swype say "Arg" it changes it to "At". And I'm OK with that. But then if I go back and instead type individual letters to type 'A', 'r', 'g',
then BEFORE I type a space, I look right at the HTC sense input (if that's what it is) and see that it has Arg at the left as top choice. AND highlighted is exactly what I just typed as well, "Arg". Then as soon as I hit a space it switches it to "Are". I then have to hit back space to get it to change back to "Arg".

ARG!!! How cumbersome is that? Is there a setting to say hey, yes do the initial "ok this is what we think you want", but then NOT change it at the last moment from what they just falsely indicated was the choice? They REALLY need a setting like that.

htsee

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
1. I am tapping "Current Keyboard".
2. The "Spell Checker" is visual only - it underlines mispelled words. However, it does not affect the auto-correct.

htsee

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Here is the sub-menu under "HTC Sense Input Keyboard options"
Screenshot_2015-10-13-19-23-15.png
"Keyboard selection" and "Prediction dictionaries" are just language selection. Here is the sub-menu under "Advanced More input settings":
Screenshot_2015-10-13-19-24-25.png
If I turn off word prediction, it turns off auto-correct (good!) but also turns off the ability to pick suggested words while typing (bad!).

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to add that I can turn off prediction

Language & keyboard > HTC Sense Input settings > Advanced > Word prediction

which turns off autocorrect. However, it is nice to be able to select from predicted words. But I want to select them, not have them selected for me without control. It doesn't seem like there is a happy medium, it's all or nothing.
Have you tried leaving spell checker on and uninstalling the prediction dictionary?

htsee

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
I tried uninstalling the prediction dictionary, but it doesn't seem to have any effect, it still has some default dictionary. I tried clearing the data for the HTC Sense Input app and still the same.
Screenshot_2015-10-14-20-47-26.jpg

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I tried uninstalling the prediction dictionary, but it doesn't seem to have any effect, it still has some default dictionary. I tried clearing the data for the HTC Sense Input app and still the same.
View attachment 201438

I knew spell check would still function because there is a default Google dictionary. What about auto correct? Does it still auto correct since you uninstalled the prediction dictionary?

htsee

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Uninstalling the prediction dictionary had no affect. All the behavior, including all options mentioned previously being on and off, is identical to before uninstalling.

htsee

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
As I mentioned in the initial question, I thought not being able to turn off auto-correct was a case of me being obtuse. That was my assumption, because I could not fathom that a phone of this popularity would have such a glaring, I will say unforgivable, omission.

I have to say I am absolutely shocked that this is the case. HTC, are you serious????? Unfortunately I have had the phone more than 30 days so I can't return, but please, please, please fix this in a future update. This is a really bad joke.

htsee

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
I guess the conclusion is that HTC has NO WAY OF TURNING OFF AUTO-CORRECT. The other conclusion that can be drawn is that HTC can no longer be taken seriously as a phone manufacturer.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
The HTC Sense keyboard is not one of my favorite keyboards. I have always switched keyboards on my HTC devices. There are so many other better keyboards available. Even the stock Google keyboard is better and gives you the option you want.

htsee

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Thank you, that seems to be the only solution. The stock Google keyboard wasn't even installed on mine, I had to download it. It seems a bit ridiculous that the phone is (for me) unusable out of the box.

Thanks for your help, maybe one day I will learn to love this phone. Not off to a great start though.

The Fuzz 53

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
The auto-correct on the stock keyboard sucks. I wish I could get the keyboard from my old Blackberry Z10 on this phone. That keyboard was amazing.

Charles Hahn

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I have had this phone for 2 weeks. To say that I was less than pleased would be an understatement. I "upgraded" from a Samsung and I think I went backward. I wouldn't recommend this phone even to my enemies.

deepu uppal

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
lets fix HTC One M9 quick if not responding at all =power off

htc m9 my power gone off during the call tried to charge did not work at all .and the hard part is that we can't take the battery out of phone so then i pressed all 3 buttons on right side of phone for 15 seconds then i got reboot option
after rebooting , now phone working really nice thxxxx