How do Nexus 6 owners deal with uneven lay on table design

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I like using my phones while laying flat on a desk. The extreme curved design of the Nexus 6 makes it literally spin around on a table. It also wobbles all over when touched. Do most owners just not care? or is there someway owners can mitigate this? Yeah cases may help, but most cases conform to the shape of the phone which won't help with the wobbling when on a desk/table. Thanks

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I can't speak for most users, but I almost never use my device on a table, so it's not an issue for me. That said, the Nexus 6 and both Moto X's definitely are prone to spinning (some of the glass-backed smartphones do this as well, but without the wobble) so if your use case requires this a lot then it might not be an ideal design for you.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the OP; I much preferred my Nexus 5's flat bottom over the 6's curve. For one thing, it takes a lot more effort to line the 6 up on my wireless charger (one of these: Energizer Qi Dual Wireless Charging Pad with EU AC Adapter :: MobileFun.com ) and keep it in place as the actual contact area is so small.

I wish someone would make a case which is a little thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges providing an overall flatter surface.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
With this thread in mind I made a point of operating my N6 at the breakfast table today (wife and kid were already gone) and while it wasn't bad for checking and dismissing notifications, I can see how it would wear on someone who wants to web browse, message, etc. on a flat surface. There was a washcloth in the kitchen and I folded it over to create some relief and the phone became stable. I'm not saying you're going to want to carry one around with you everywhere you go, but if you find yourself mostly using it on a specific desk it's an easy (and cheap) solution that'll also stop the back from picking up scratches and oils.

all_bran

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I handle it by swearing at it and blurting "WhyTF would someone design this this way??? "

Posted via the Android Central App

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I use mine on a countertop alot. It doesn't wobble or I don't notice. I have it in a Ringke Fusion case. There are two lines going up the back, maybe that's helps to stabilize it.
I love the curved back of the phone. It makes holding the phone easier.

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
^^This.
The molded indentation on the back stabilizes the phone when on a flat surface, not as good as perfectly flat, but it keeps the design while minimizing rocking and some of the spinning.
You can get one from Amazon on sale...
Ringke Fusion Bumper Case $6 (Crystal View or Mint)
Use promo code O8AVEJH7 at checkout

alexcolka

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
This thing is heavy not to mention with case so it's like a brick on the table for me. No problem with that.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
This thing is heavy not to mention with case so it's like a brick on the table for me. No problem with that.

This has nothing to do with the OP's question. There are plenty of threads that go something like, "I purchased a huge phone and now I don't like it's size." Please, if you've only had the N6 for under 15 days, return it for a small phone.

alexcolka

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
This has nothing to do with the OP's question. There are plenty of threads that go something like, "I purchased a huge phone and now I don't like it's size." Please, if you've only had the N6 for under 15 days, return it for a small phone.

Relax, I'm not complaining about the size nor the weight, I'm happy with my Nexus 6 since this phone is new to me, I'm just getting used to this form factor. Lastly I'm just describing my experience that it's not a problem for me.

ccates

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
If you tap the sides and wiggle the phone its usually enough to wake the active display, so you can turn it on without pressing the power button

Shamu to you too *splash*

DroidTron

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I use the Ringke Max case. The center window is recessed offering some flatness. But it still moves and wobbles as I type this, but not as bad as without the case.

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't usually use my phone flat on a surface but when I do I use one hand to stabilize the phone and the other to navigate or Swype for texting.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Rinkgke fusion case has a elongated eliptical dimple that let's the phone sit flat.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't affect me as I put the phone face down all of the time. I have a case with a lip and screen protector, so I'm not worried about damaging the screen.