Question How do you pagefile your Android ?

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
Does anyone know how to pagefile and break into the root system or just add ram to your Android device? I mean it's pretty ridiculous to advertise 3 gigs of RAM when it's only 2.5. Now it's pretty easy to do something about it on my computer but a little harder on Android device.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Are you having issues with your device or do you just see something you don't like or didn't expect and now want to change it?

Reporting RAM numbers is like everything else with all manufacturers, they are going to give you the biggest most impressive number possible, usually without lying, even though that number is based on a perfect world scenario. Cars get 34 MPG on a track with a warm engine, in 70 degree weather, on Tuesday when they are fresh off the production line. And truthfully 2.5 out of 3 isn't that bad when you consider the device needs some RAM just to be awake running the OS, system apps, and other apps running in the background. This is the same with ROM. Devices report 128 or 256 memory but exclude the fact that some of this memory will be used to store the OS and will never be accessible to the user. On top of this, IDK what OS version you're using but, Android does make efforts to optimize resources and takes into account functionality. On some of the flagship devices with 12 GB of RAM you can regularly find them at 6, 7 or even 8 GB of RAM in use. Trying to manually close apps to decrease that number just results in the device reopening those items. This why many RAM saver apps cause issues with devices. They close and then the OS reopens.

*coughs quietly and steps off of soapbox*

In the meantime, if this is something that you really want to pursue XDA Developers, at a webpage of the same name, is a good resource for how-tos and help when it comes to rooting Android devices. Of course, I can't know your tech level, but I will caution that tinkering with the OS on any device can be a tricky thing and there is a chance that what seems like a small change can permanently ruin a device. We see posts like that around here often. And unlike a laptop or PC corrupting an Android OS is not as simple as reinstalling the OS and starting over.

Best wishes. Be sure to checkout XDA and their resources. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I agree with everything said above.

Also... No, you can't just "add" RAM. The chips are soldered to the board like everything else in these phones. And how Android uses it is not the same as a PC.

Besides, is the 2.5 GB reported as what's free? Or is that the total amount reported, and the specs for your phone say it should be 3? That would seem weird.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Does anyone know how to pagefile and break into the root system or just add ram to your Android device? I mean it's pretty ridiculous to advertise 3 gigs of RAM when it's only 2.5. Now it's pretty easy to do something about it on my computer but a little harder on Android device.
If you have latest Samsung they come with virtual ram but other than that no .

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Stop viewing memory usage in Android as the same as with a desktop OS like Windows. Android memory management is pretty sophisticated and unless you're very savvy in tweaking your own memory usage approaching RAM usage in Android is very different than in Windows. or a Mac. When your phone's RAM is shown to be used up, that is normal and expected. With Android, unused RAM is wasted RAM. Things like virtual memory imaging is all done internally by the OS, and only when absolutely necessary. So no matter is if you're actually using an app or several apps concurrently, the Android OS and all its relevant background services are being rotated into and out of RAM memory.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Stop viewing memory usage in Android as the same as with a desktop OS like Windows. Android memory management is pretty sophisticated and unless you're very savvy in tweaking your own memory usage approaching RAM usage in Android is very different than in Windows. or a Mac. When your phone's RAM is shown to be used up, that is normal and expected. With Android, unused RAM is wasted RAM. Things like virtual memory imaging is all done internally by the OS, and only when absolutely necessary. So no matter is if you're actually using an app or several apps concurrently, the Android OS and all its relevant background services are being rotated into and out of RAM memory.
Yes to this. Android will usually use all memory available whether that be 3 0r 8 GB.
When you get up above 10 you will have some left over but that is wasted space for android.
To speak to three? That is an under powered device. And no, you cannot increase the ram, not only because it is integral to the board but limitations are placed by the board manufacturer. You can try soldering on different modules but end up bricking it.
You must remember that the os is tailored to that specific model.
I know this is not helpful but save up and buy a device with upgraded ram capacity.

Reactions: Laura Knotek
Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
Which device is this?
Oh it's a tct Alcatel 3V phone but old Android 9 , 2019 . Quite honestly I believe that you have to have like 10 gigs of RAM just make it around now. Millions of background programs going on and whatever else. Yes I do know that the old pagefile virtual ram is obselite , but I have actually seen it work on an old computer I have, and works great for me. I know these tablets and phones are not the same hardware wise but close enough. The big thing is getting into the root system or just plain breaking into it. That's what I want to know and do. I'm just not ready to get any phone right now but it would be nice to have a little bit faster phone. I do have a 128G SD card in it right now but I'm pretty sure it's not a class 10 ; doesn't matter I'll get it. And actually I probably could get away with this one. I don't need all that space. I do social media and the million photo thing. So probably use it. Any advice would be great. Thanks . Mike.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
And can you clarify if the 2.5 GB RAM you see is the total RAM that the phone reports, or is it the amount that's being used of 3 GB, or is it the amount that's being reported as free?

Keep in mind that this phone is a low-spec'd budget phone, with a fairly low-performing Mediatek Helio P22 and eMMC 5.1 flash memory (which is significantly slower than higher end UFS 2.1 or 2.2). And 3 GB RAM is really the bare minimum these days for phones -- most mid-rangers have at least 8 GB of RAM.

I don't have any experience with virtual RAM on Android devices, but from what I've seen and read about, it's just a gimmick that really doesn't improve performance. Of course, you're free to pursue this, but I think you'll just be disappointed. Good luck!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
And can you clarify if the 2.5 GB RAM you see is the total RAM that the phone reports, or is it the amount that's being used of 3 GB, or is it the amount that's being reported as free?

Keep in mind that this phone is a low-spec'd budget phone, with a fairly low-performing Mediatek Helio P22 and eMMC 5.1 flash memory (which is significantly slower than higher end UFS 2.1 or 2.2). And 3 GB RAM is really the bare minimum these days for phones -- most mid-rangers have at least 8 GB of RAM.

I don't have any experience with virtual RAM on Android devices, but from what I've seen and read about, it's just a gimmick that really doesn't improve performance. Of course, you're free to pursue this, but I think you'll just be disappointed. Good luck!
Virtual Ram uses up the phone's storage it's Good if you have lot of storage I say at least 128gb or more , definitely keep more apps open

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On a personal note I don't and won't use virtual RAM.

My own experience is that it makes no difference and it would be worth also reading through the article below, paying particular attention to the section, 'It's good on paper':

https://www.androidcentral.com/phones/ram-boost-explained#:~:text=If you open an app,not using them at all.read

Edit: The link title isn't very descriptive but it gives a detailed explanation of what virtual RAM is.
Yep, and Jerry specifically mentions the major downside of using eMMC storage for virtual RAM -- it's slow.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
...The big thing is getting into the root system or just plain breaking into it. That's what I want to know and do...
XDA Developers. If there is a trusted root solution for your device you'll find it there.

It kind of depends on how popular or prolific your device was whether or not you'll find a root solution. People don't put time into devices that have no following or user base.

Best wishes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jstemp33