How do you update a root security SSL certificate?

crownzeal

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I access my email at university via IMAP and recently have been getting this error, "Security warning: There are problems with the security certificate for this site. This certificate is not from a trusted authority."

My IT says that the certificate was just updated last Thursday and valid again. What needs to happen is that I need to update the root security certificate on the phone. Is there a step-by-step guide anywhere to get this accomplished? I'm on a HTC Evo that is not rooted. I gave K-9 Mail a try but not crazy about the "look" of it.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey crownzeal, welcome to AC!

I think you can try to just erase your account and re-add it to force it to get the cert from your server, if that doesn't work you may need to clear data on the email app (if it saves it after the account is removed).

crownzeal

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey crownzeal, welcome to AC!

I think you can try to just erase your account and re-add it to force it to get the cert from your server, if that doesn't work you may need to clear data on the email app (if it saves it after the account is removed).

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried to delete and re-add and that did not work. Still got the error. How do you clear data on the email app?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. I tried to delete and re-add and that did not work. Still got the error. How do you clear data on the email app?

No prob.

From the home screen, go to menu > settings > applications > manage applications > all > find your email app > force stop > clear cache/data

You will lose any emails that are stored on your phone but if it's IMAP you should just get them all over again when you set your account back up.

crownzeal

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
No prob.

From the home screen, go to menu > settings > applications > manage applications > all > find your email app > force stop > clear cache/data

You will lose any emails that are stored on your phone but if it's IMAP you should just get them all over again when you set your account back up.[/QUOT

I just tried this and STILL got the error. Was so excited because this looked like an excellent solution. Anything else I can try?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
No prob.

You will lose any emails that are stored on your phone but if it's IMAP you should just get them all over again when you set your account back up.[/QUOT

I just tried this and STILL got the error. Was so excited because this looked like an excellent solution. Anything else I can try?

I'd hate to say a hard reset, instead I think you should try to find out where the security certificate is on the phone and erase it force the mail app to re-download it.

Are you using the default mail app?

eBoyDog

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Newbie user around here but a long time email admin...

I don't believe the issue is with the EVO or any SSL cert stored on it but rather the secure site that you are accessing your IMAP email from.

If your just started receiving this error (and you didn't change anything on your device) chances are the SSL cert for the IMAP URL has expired.

This has nothing to do with your device but rather the admin's who handle the IMAP server and it's a warning from the internet certificate issuer is (such as Verisign) that the public SSL certificate your email server is using has expired.

Easy way to test this is to setup a IMAP account on your PC using something like Outlook Express with the same email server settings you use for your EVO email and chances are you will receive the same or similar error on your PC.

Contact your email administrators but chances are they are already aware of this.

Reactions: 2CupsWithString

crownzeal

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Newbie user around here but a long time email admin...

I don't believe the issue is with the EVO or any SSL cert stored on it but rather the secure site that you are accessing your IMAP email from.

If your just started receiving this error (and you didn't change anything on your device) chances are the SSL cert for the IMAP URL has expired.

This has nothing to do with your device but rather the admin's who handle the IMAP server and it's a warning from the internet certificate issuer is (such as Verisign) that the public SSL certificate your email server is using has expired.

Easy way to test this is to setup a IMAP account on your PC using something like Outlook Express with the same email server settings you use for your EVO email and chances are you will receive the same or similar error on your PC.

Contact your email administrators but chances are they are already aware of this.

Thanks for your response. The certificate was just updated last week and it now shows expires on 2020-05-30 when I view it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware