How does one reinstall Android OS ?

anon(9943849)

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
I was wondering if there's a way to backup & re-install Android.

I do this with PCs whenever the O.S. has problems.

I purchased an Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy tab S2)
& would like to know the basics of backing up & restoring it in case it ever has problems.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering if there's a way to backup & re-install Android.

I do this with PCs whenever the O.S. has problems.

I purchased an Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy tab S2)
& would like to know the basics of backing up & restoring it in case it ever has problems.

Obviously there are plenty of options and apps that can help with this, particularly if you're rooted.

However, if the back-up you're speaking of is just so you don't lose what you have, so far as apps, contacts and so on goes, as long as you synced with Google, this all happens automatically when you sign back in after a factory restore.

anon(9943849)

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, however; I'm new & unfamiliar with any "options and apps that can help with this".

I'll better explain my thoughts.
Say I download an app offering functions I want & give it permissions, then it turns out to be a rootkit & trojan for mining bit coins. Unsure of current or future Android problems, but I'm sure things could happen.

My purpose might be to wipe the tablet completely, i.e. format the drive, then do a clean install, with Samsung drivers and programs (exactly as it came from the factory).

Is this possible ?

I'm asking because I'm new to the whole Android tablet thing. If I need to make a backup drive for future use I should probably do it when I first get it, like you would with PCs these days.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, however; I'm new & unfamiliar with any "options and apps that can help with this".

I'll better explain my thoughts.
Say I download an app offering functions I want & give it permissions, then it turns out to be a rootkit & trojan for mining bit coins. Unsure of current or future Android problems, but I'm sure things could happen.

My purpose might be to wipe the tablet completely, i.e. format the drive, then do a clean install, with Samsung drivers and programs (exactly as it came from the factory).

Is this possible ?

I'm asking because I'm new to the whole Android tablet thing. If I need to make a backup drive for future use I should probably do it when I first get it, like you would with PCs these days.

Yes. A factory reset is available on all Android phones - at least, everyone I've ever used. It's standard.

So far as making an immediate back-up, as I said, signing into Google first is the basic way to go. Others may be able to proffer more thorough options, but this is going to get you all contacts, calendars and apps back. You may have to re-jig it around a bit after the reinstall, but it'll all be there.

anon(9943849)

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks again.

I understand I can back up my data via SD card, Flash drive (w/ USB OTG), Samsung Smart Switch & via synced Google account. So that's good.

I just spoke with a Samsung rep. Turns out the only option for a clean install, according to them, is to send it for service. There appears to be no way to do a clean install yourself. Which is inconvenient. Perhaps someone else knows other ways.

Last edited:

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Well, maybe they do, but it sounds more like company speak to me. Factory resets are built into phones for a reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord