How many rooted LG G3 users are out there?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
As an FYI.... a dev just released an Xposed module that allows users to configure the NLP update intervals. To those that aren't aware, NLP is basically the Google Location Services stuff.... and a rather significant source of battery drain for people who use it. My biggest, and really only grip with GLS is that it checked way too much, waking up the phone all the friggin' time to do its thing. This Xposed module allows you to set the interval, say every 5 minutes, which should result in a drastic reduction in the amount of power that GLS uses without sacrificing much functionality. Does Google Now really need to know my location several times a minute? Nope.

W00T!

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
As an FYI.... a dev just released an Xposed module that allows users to configure the NLP update intervals. To those that aren't aware, NLP is basically the Google Location Services stuff.... and a rather significant source of battery drain for people who use it. My biggest, and really only grip with GLS is that it checked way too much, waking up the phone all the friggin' time to do its thing. This Xposed module allows you to set the interval, say every 5 minutes, which should result in a drastic reduction in the amount of power that GLS uses without sacrificing much functionality. Does Google Now really need to know my location several times a minute? Nope.

W00T!

Just saw that module. I'm going to test it out. Thanks!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
What are your settings for NlpUnBounce? I set mine all 360 seconds.

white/gold VS985

Well, it all depends on how accurate and up to date you want those location calls. Frankly, 10 to 15 minutes would suffice in most situations... Unless you use those "Find events nearby" or "Miles walked" Google Now cards heavily, lowering the interval to only a few times an hour will probably not cause any headaches.

That Google cranked up the frequency like that is a bit of an irritation.... GLS isn't supposed to be a real-time location provider, that's what GPS is for. It is supposed to be a way to obtain your general location while using less power than GPS. But then they turn around and crank up the interval so high that it impacts your power consumption. What justification could there be to have those wakelocks fire all the time?

This might fix that... happy day.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
But that module (which has been full of win so far) illustrates the kinds of things that root access allows. Android users come in all shapes and sizes... some turn their phone, change a few things and pretty much leave it be (which is cool). Others obsessively pour over every configuration option and then try to dig deeper to see what else they can fiddle with. To each their own. I'm one of the latter....

If you are going to root, might as well go whole hog.... Here are some (not all) of the root-aware stuff that I've loaded.

Tasker w/ Secure Settings
I use Tasker mostly as a power manager.... turning things on and off based on the situation and need... like only flip on GPS when Google Maps or Waze needs it so some stupid weather widget doesn't ping the GPS and waste some juice. But I use it for some sound profiles (quiet at home overnight, full blast when I'm on the road, etc.)... works great. I USED to use it to manage the Google Location stuff, but NLPUnBound may eliminate that need. If you look at Tasker and your head spins (the UI is notoriously difficult to learn), try Llama.. it does most of what Tasker can do without the brutally steep learning curve.

Better Battery Stats (excellent battery usage tool)
GSAM Battery (yet another excellent battery usage tool)
Wakelock Detector (yet yet another)

can you tell I kind of obsess at times over power usage? The G3 is the first phone I've had that doesn't get on my nerves in some way when it comes to power consumption, but I still watch it like a hawk to see where I can make improvements. If you've ever asked the question "Why did my battery die so fast?" Any of these can tell you.

Root Explorer
Kernel Tweaker (Trickster Mod would work here as well)
Xposed Framework w/ the following
G3Tweakbox - Opens up a mountain of configuration options for the G3
NLPUnBound
GEL Settings - I replaced the stock launcher with Google Now, this gives you a wide variety of config options for the GN launcher.. which has, well, none
App Settings - leave the default dpi density alone and use App Settings to set the DPI scaling on a per-app basis... much cleaner and I found that reducing the system density tends to make the UI less fluid. When I reduced my Nexus 5's dpi density down, it lost some of that buttery smoothness that the phone is famous for.... not drastically so, but App Settings allows me to set the DPI density lower only for apps that I want to 'shrink', like GMail... without affecting the entire system.

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Are there places that will root your phone for you? I have no clue on how to do it or what to mess with one rooted.

if your unsure what to do with root acess maybe its something you dont really need. launchers can change alot about the device and they dont require root. However rooting the lg g3 is very easy with stump root and as long as you dont try to do anything too crazy or install apks from untrusted places you should be good to go.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
if your unsure what to do with root acess maybe its something you dont really need. launchers can change alot about the device and they dont require root. However rooting the lg g3 is very easy with stump root and as long as you dont try to do anything too crazy or install apks from untrusted places you should be good to go.
I think if people are unsure about rooting they should absolutely not just forget about doing it. They should educate themselves on the risks involved and the endless benefits of what's available to you if you do root. This should be the answer.

There's a lot of good information out there and people should strive to fully take advantage of their phone so they are not left wanting more from what stock OS provides.

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Root is a tool, not an end result. It does nothing, it doesn't make your phone unstable, or unsecured... It just lets YOU make your phone unstable or unsecured. 😛

It's no different than having administrator access to your computer. The only difference is that phone OEMs, for whatever reason, don't want you to own your own phone... So they make it a pain in the ****.

People don't get all nervous when that 'the program is requesting admin access'. The only difference is that the screen is smaller.

The only tricky bit is the process by which you root... But this isn't 2010, and devs have gotten really good at building the tools.

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious to know how long peoples batteries are lasting that have rooted, with the intention of improving battery life. I see a lot of claims about removing "bloat" improving battery life, but no talk about how much longer peoples phones are lasting.

For me, improving the battery life would be the only real reason to root, but with the battery already lasting more then a day for me I don't see a need at the moment. Anyone have any info on how much longer there batteries are lasting with various things removed?

cbohn7885

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone post a link to download the .ask file? I have a Verizon LG G3 model VS985. I tried downloading Stump root v1.2.0, but it wouldn't download on my device.

Posted via the Android Central App

cbohn7885

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks I ended up getting it to work. I guess I couldn't download it through the Wi-Fi at work. I was able to find the latest version 1.2.0