How often do you replace your phone?

Red_Star

Oct 14, 2017
Visit site
Once in several years at least... However I don't need to change my phones too often if the model is really ok for me. I'm not that of person who always tries to buy a new upgraded gadget as soon as it's possible only because it's new :D

countrydirt

Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
I would like to say that I make it more than 2 years with a phone, but I went through a Kyocera Brigadier, Iphone 5s, and 2 Motorola Droid Turbo XT in less than 3 years because of actually breaking all 4 of them (3 were kayak related water incidents) so I am back on a contract for 2 years with a Note 8.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
The last few years I have bought a new phone every year for me, and every 2 years for my wife. With the Z Force and Moto Mods I am planning on keeping this one closer to two years. I might skip the Z2 Force and see what the Z3 looks like in 2018.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Ooohhh the Z3... Good call. What kind of Moto phone are you using now - the Z Force? I haven't been able to shake my fascination with the Z2 Play.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
My S7 is chugging along just fine and there's been no innovations that want to make me switch out. Don't like Samsung's curved screens so I'm done with them, Google needs to straighten out a few things so I intend to keep this for a good number of years.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
My S7 is chugging along just fine and there's been no innovations that want to make me switch out. Don't like Samsung's curved screens so I'm done with them, Google needs to straighten out a few things so I intend to keep this for a good number of years.

Good to know that your S7 is still going strong! My mom has the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and wants a new phone; so she's kind of thinking about going to a newer phone such as the S7.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I lived both worlds... I kept my 6P from launch up until May, when I gave it to my wife who was fed up with poor camera performance of her G6.

We're on TMobile and she had the original JUMP in her line, so I had been bouncing from disappointing OEM phone to disappointing OEM phone.. since my 6P, she had gone though... 7 phones in an attempt to find one that she liked. Since she's used the 6P... Zero problems.

So she's going to be switching into a first gen XL I picked up and I hope that gets her into.. 2019...

And I'm happy as a clam with my new 2XL that I expect to get me to the Pixel 4.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I lived both worlds... I kept my 6P from launch up until May, when I gave it to my wife who was fed up with poor camera performance of her G6.

We're on TMobile and she had the original JUMP in her line, so I had been bouncing from disappointing OEM phone to disappointing OEM phone.. since my 6P, she had gone though... 7 phones in an attempt to find one that she liked. Since she's used the 6P... Zero problems.

So she's going to be switching into a first gen XL I picked up and I hope that gets her into.. 2019...

And I'm happy as a clam with my new 2XL that I expect to get me to the Pixel 4.

Awesome to hear! Stock Android phones are the bestest!

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been trading my phone in on ATT's NEXT program after 18 months of use mainly because the battery of my last few Samsung Galaxy phones weren't holding a charge. I currently have an LG G6 which I plan to keep for a while.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Way too often. I really wish I could settle on a phone and keep it until I was truly tired of it. As opposed to "falling in love" with every batch of new phones that come out every six months.

This, so far has finally worked out for me. I had my Note 4 for 1 year. Loved that phone. Best I ever had but I started running into issues and I didn't want to deal with warranty claims and any issues they might give me so I went to the LG G5. I didn't like it. The only thing I like was the dual cameras. So in April, I got the LG G6. What an upgrade!

So far I love it. And I could definitely see myself keeping it for another year or two. I haven't kept a phone for 2 years since my very first cell phone.

ad47uk

Feb 24, 2017
Visit site
My Nexus 4 lasted me for almost 5 years, i only changed it a few weeks back for a P10 lite, I will no doubt keep this phone until it goes wrong.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't replace phones. I accumulate phones and switch between them as often as I feel like it.

My main phones that I'm switching between lately are the Note 8, S8+, iPhone 6S and a iPhone 7+. I just bought the iPhone 7+ on Tuesday and I've been using that as my daily now. The 7+ is a 256GB model so I'm using that in my car through BT for music and phone use.

I haven't really used the Note 8 as my daily but that's because I have this gigantic OtterBox case on it and I've been wanting to get a smaller case so I can actually start using it as my daily but I haven't felt like actually doing that so it's been sitting at home most of the time since buying it on launch.

My S8+ was my daily until I bough the iPhone 7+. I got the battery replaced in my 6S+ on Tuesday and now it's like brand new again. The 6S+ was always one of my most favorite phones and still is today.

I love having choices.

Dec 5, 2017
Visit site
This year was the first time I replaced a perfectly working phone with another one.

My first smartphone was a Windows phone, and I was committed to that platform. I replaced the first phone when it died, the next two when their screens cracked. That's 4 phones in 10 years. They were all flagships toward the end of their lifetime (as in a new flagship would be released in a few months) except the last one, a Lumia 950 as soon as it was introduced. Because this was also around the time carrier subsidies began going away, I paid full price for that one, and resolved not to break it.

It's two years later, and I finally cannot justify having a phone, great as it may be, with fewer and fewer official apps. Because of the high price I payed just two years ago, I decided that if I could find a good enough sub-$200 phone, I'd get one this year. Otherwise, I'd wait another year and ad $100 or so to my budget. I was really hoping for a Nokia 6, if not to stay at least somewhat true to my origins, then because of its continued update promise, but that never went below $200 except with Amazon ads and only for Prime customers (I am not one). But after researching, I decided on Motorola's Moto G5 Plus when it was on sale for $144 (I got the 2 gig version).

Going forward, I really don't know. It really depends on what kind of meaningful advances happen in the future. I know I'm going to get Oreo some time soon, but beyond that the field is wide open. I'm hoping for at least two years again, and we'll see what happens.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This year was the first time I replaced a perfectly working phone with another one.

My first smartphone was a Windows phone, and I was committed to that platform. I replaced the first phone when it died, the next two when their screens cracked. That's 4 phones in 10 years. They were all flagships toward the end of their lifetime (as in a new flagship would be released in a few months) except the last one, a Lumia 950 as soon as it was introduced. Because this was also around the time carrier subsidies began going away, I paid full price for that one, and resolved not to break it.

It's two years later, and I finally cannot justify having a phone, great as it may be, with fewer and fewer official apps. Because of the high price I payed just two years ago, I decided that if I could find a good enough sub-$200 phone, I'd get one this year. Otherwise, I'd wait another year and ad $100 or so to my budget. I was really hoping for a Nokia 6, if not to stay at least somewhat true to my origins, then because of its continued update promise, but that never went below $200 except with Amazon ads and only for Prime customers (I am not one). But after researching, I decided on Motorola's Moto G5 Plus when it was on sale for $144 (I got the 2 gig version).

Going forward, I really don't know. It really depends on what kind of meaningful advances happen in the future. I know I'm going to get Oreo some time soon, but beyond that the field is wide open. I'm hoping for at least two years again, and we'll see what happens.

What a great phone you chose! Hard to beat the G5 Plus at that spec and price point. Good for you! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newuser93939