How often do you replace your phone?

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
No offense but why are so many people getting a new phone every year? Every 12 months? Why? Do you have a lot of extra money lying around? Because phones aren't subsidized anymore and you have to pay full price. Phones are so good nowadays that they last a good 24 months without sacrificing performance or lag as they get that old.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
No offense but why are so many people getting a new phone every year? Every 12 months? Why? Do you have a lot of extra money lying around? Because phones aren't subsidized anymore and you have to pay full price. Phones are so good nowadays that they last a good 24 months without sacrificing performance or lag as they get that old.

Sell the old phone to get a new phone and it ends up not being a lot of dough. I get a new phone more than once a year and In the last year between buying and selling have only spent around 250 bucks total. Everyone has their hobbies. I like phones.

gilligan793

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I use to switch out phones every six months or less. In a single year I went from BlackBerry Z30 to HTC M8, Sony Z3v to Galaxy S5 to iphone 6. I had a real problem I think lol. Nowadays I don't switch out as often, mostly because I have left the wireless industry and i'm not surrounded by phones every day haha.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site

Sometimes, people like to change things up or sometimes something superior comes out. All of my phone upgrades have been for the better, like much better. When the iPhone SE comes out, I will try to stick with that phone for like a few years.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I noticed that I've been changing my daily drivers every year.

A Galaxy S2 in 2011, a Galaxy S3 in 2012, an HTC One M7 in 2013, an LG G3 in 2014, an LG G4 in 2015 and potentially a Galaxy Note 7 in 2016 (but not before switching back to the M7).

I initially planned for my G4 to last 3 years as my daily. But after having 2 units coughing up on hardware faults (with one dead), decided to switch phones instead to save myself from further trouble.

Posted via the Android Central App

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I don't replace my phone until the OS no longer supports apps I use, or the phone just quits working. I take extremely good care of my phones, so they never look worn or abused, and typically last for many years. I'm on my 3rd smartphone in 20 years of having a cell phone. I was a late adopter of smartphones, and just purchased my 3rd one, an MXPE. As long as it does it's job, I have no plans of buying another one for the foreseeable future.
Crazy aint' it? :D

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I change every few months.. I try not to but I have an issue :(.

Heh, I have 4 phones that I constantly switch between. Droid maxx, lgg3 nexus 5X and note 5. I can't seem to go a few weeks without switching. I love the g3 knock on/off and 5.5 sweet spot screen. But I also like stock android, one handed use and custom roms, so I switch to 5x. I really like the moto notification system and moto assist features. The the note 5 big beautiful screen, best camera, but sometimes its sheer size causes problems for me. So 4 phones used a month. But I'm planning on selling both the the note 5 and nexus 5x and finally settle on just one phone. Just can;t decide between budget or flagship.

Marc999

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Ok so it's an older thread, but rather than start an identical new thread, I'll add to this one:

2 - 2.5 years.

I purchased a Moto G5+ (4gb ram / 64gb hd) to replace a Moto G3 (1gb / 8gb).
The ONLY reason I upgraded was because there was less than 4gb of usable internal space, the rest was operating system.
I was continually having to clear cache, just to be able to update existing apps. Even an sd card was of no use, since most apps. will not write to sd card, even when adopted as internal storage.
Aside from that, the Moto G3 was fine and suited my needs.

I'll stretch this Moto G5+ as long as possible. I have no interest in wasting money on new phones if I don't have to. There are more exciting hobbies for me to spend money on.
Hopefully I'll get at least 3 years out of this, before the battery goes arse up, or some newer technology becomes indispensable.

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Once every 2 years when my contract is up. Getting the phone at half price is nice. Plus I take good care of my phones mostly, so they become hand me downs.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Once every 2 years when my contract is up. Getting the phone at half price is nice. Plus I take good care of my phones mostly, so they become hand me downs.

Great plan! Sometimes my "old daily driver" will serve as a backup for me or my brother in case something happens to our current phones. :)

cconn

Banned
Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
I used to replace my phone at the normal 2 year interval. Had an iPhone 4 for two years, then a Note 2 for two years.

Since then I've gotten extremely finicky with my phones, though. I've gone through the Moto X, OnePlus One, Xperia Z3, Note 5, the S7, and now the S8+, and it makes no sense I know, but I'm posting this from a Moto G5 Plus just because I really missed pure Android.

Of all of those, I've probably been most content with the OPO, Note 5, and Moto G5. In fact, I kind of wish I had just skipped the S7 all together in favor of keeping my Note.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I used to replace my phone at the normal 2 year interval. Had an iPhone 4 for two years, then a Note 2 for two years.

Since then I've gotten extremely finicky with my phones, though. I've gone through the Moto X, OnePlus One, Xperia Z3, Note 5, the S7, and now the S8+, and it makes no sense I know, but I'm posting this from a Moto G5 Plus just because I really missed pure Android.

Of all of those, I've probably been most content with the OPO, Note 5, and Moto G5. In fact, I kind of wish I had just skipped the S7 all together in favor of keeping my Note.

I've consistently heard good things about the Note 5. Definitely understand why you enjoy it. Also, I love OnePlus!

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site
If the phone works well, 2 years. If I don't like the phone, 1 year.
I had the note 4 for 2 years, but it started to have problems. I replaced it with the note 7, but we know what happened there. Head a S7 while waiting for the next Note. Couldn't wait to replace the S7.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Moto Z Force on release day. A short time later we got my wife a Z Play. She didn't like it so I decided to use it and not return it since it was free. Since then, I guess almost a year now, I use the Z Play the most. There's not a phone made yet that can beat the battery life.

I have added a Moto G4 Plus to play with. We are planning to switch to t-mobile from verizon so I am trying to somehow convince my other half I really need a Mate 9. It's not going well.

Last edited:

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Way too often. I really wish I could settle on a phone and keep it until I was truly tired of it. As opposed to "falling in love" with every batch of new phones that come out every six months.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennygreene