How to Chromecast Amazon on Nexus?

garyh01

Dec 27, 2017
Visit site
I've been struggling for a few days now trying to chromecast Amazon video from my Nexus. I've also been searching for just as long for a solution.

Most posts I come across state that chromecasting my entire screen from Google Home should work, but it doesn't. A lot of posts I'm finding are also pretty old so appear outdated.

The result from chromecasting my entire screen and playing an amazon video is just the audio comes over the cromecast, no video. The video just plays on the device.

If I play a YouTube video in that fashion, I do indeed get video and audio on both the TV and device.

To get this far, here's what I've done:

1 - Downloaded Google Home
2 - Downloaded Amazon Video app
3 - Launch Google Home and cast my screen
4 - Launch Amazon Video app

When setup like this, I can see the Amazon app on both the device and TV. But when I play a video, I get a blank screen and just audio on the TV, the video is playing on the device only.

Some information I found online is that the Amazon app blocks video from chromecasting from certain devices??

My device is a Nexus 5X running Android 8.0.0

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've been struggling for a few days now trying to chromecast Amazon video from my Nexus. I've also been searching for just as long for a solution.

Most posts I come across state that chromecasting my entire screen from Google Home should work, but it doesn't. A lot of posts I'm finding are also pretty old so appear outdated.

The result from chromecasting my entire screen and playing an amazon video is just the audio comes over the cromecast, no video. The video just plays on the device.

If I play a YouTube video in that fashion, I do indeed get video and audio on both the TV and device.

To get this far, here's what I've done:

1 - Downloaded Google Home
2 - Downloaded Amazon Video app
3 - Launch Google Home and cast my screen
4 - Launch Amazon Video app

When setup like this, I can see the Amazon app on both the device and TV. But when I play a video, I get a blank screen and just audio on the TV, the video is playing on the device only.

Some information I found online is that the Amazon app blocks video from chromecasting from certain devices??

My device is a Nexus 5X running Android 8.0.0

Amazon doesn't like Chromecasting at all. That is why casting isn't built into their apps like you would see for Netflix and such. I could very well see them blocking the casting on purpose.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Chromecast probably (I don't buy them so I can't verify this) won't cast a DRM-protected video.

If you sit on the home page and run Google Home, and tell it to cast, does it cast the Home screen? Then if you hit the Home button, does it cast your home screen? If so, it's working properly. (I have one of the old ones that I haven't used since before Home came out, and recently went through getting it to run. It was just about as easy as with the old Chromecast app, and it does cast the phone's screen, regardless of what I'm showing on the phone - email, the phone, Hangouts Dialer, a few web browsers - but, as I said, I don't download anything DRM-protected, so I don't know if Chromecast (or Google Home) blocks that.