How to delete an incorrect autofill email address?

tatowles

May 1, 2016
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S4 mini.

I too have no "Phone Contact".

"Contacts" takes me to the "Contacts" tab of Phone/Groups/Contacts. There are no 3-dots or anything of the sort. There is only Search, Create contact, the list of contacts, and "displaying 12 contacts".

There is one entry that I want gone. But it is not in Google Contacts. It ONLY appears when I start typing in gmail "to" field. I cannot otherwise find this person anywhere or via any search. On my phone or in my google account via PC.

Did anyone ever figure out what he means by phone contact?

DLeoLion

May 10, 2016
Visit site
For anyone still have trouble finding a way to delete autofill addresses on Android, this is what worked for me.
None of the addresses that showed up for me when I typed a letter in the To: field on my Android appeared in ANY Contact list on either my phone or in Other Contacts when I signed into Gmail on my computer. If you've made sure that the addresses don't appear anywhere else, then try this...(phone instructions are using Lollipop on Android, so depending on software it may be different):

On the computer, sign into your Goggle account. Open Gmail. Click the Gear icon to get to Settings, General Tab, scroll down to "Create contacts for auto-complete", Check "I'll add contacts myself". Apply. Do this for any/all Gmail accounts that you have that download/sync to your phone. Doing this makes sure that any addresses you reply to in the future are not 'saved' as auto fill possibilities.

Now remove your Gmail account(s) from your phone. Swipe down from top of phone to access Settings, Accounts, Google, Click on the account to remove (the one or ones you have the autofill addresses you want to get rid of), Click Menu (three vertical dots), Remove Account.

Once account is removed, click the Gmail icon, Menu (three vertical lines), Settings, Add account, Check Google, Enter email address, Enter Password. Account will be re-added. Click the Gmail icon again and compose a new message. Enter a letter into the To: field and the nuisance addresses should be gone.

Sharpen1

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Hey, I just figured it out. Go into any app, pull up your keyboard and start typing. When the wrong email appears in the auto fill area, tap on the arrow to expand the area. You should see 'Auto replace' at the bottom of the drop down, with an on-off button. Turn it off, tap and hold the incorrect email address, select 'ok' in the 'Remove' dialogue box, and turn auto replace back on. No more wrong email auto filling. :)

tkt2786

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I had old auto-complete addresses popping up on my Gmail app on my phone, and different ones popping up on my computer, which was completely annoying. So this is what I did, with help from this thread and a lot of other googling. Full disclosure, I do NOT have a HTC one, but this was the most useful thread I found on the problem.

STEP ONE: Preventing future issues.
To prevent this from happening in the future, first I did what DLeo suggested.

On the computer, sign into your Goggle account. Open Gmail. Click the Gear icon to get to Settings, General Tab, scroll down to "Create contacts for auto-complete", Check "I'll add contacts myself".

Be sure to click Save at the bottom of this screen.

STEP TWO: Cleaning up bad contacts (still on the computer).
Go into Contacts on the computer. Go to More, then Other Contacts (this took me to the "old" contacts, where you have to again choose "Other Contacts"). Go through the list that appears and delete all the email addresses you don't want. Heck, while you're here, you could go through all your contacts and clean them up...but "other contacts" seems to be where Gmail stored the addresses of everyone I ever emailed.

STEP THREE: Log out, repeat steps 1 and 2 on the computer with other Gmail accounts you have. (I needed to log out and log back in before I could stop seeing the bad auto complete addresses on my computer.)

STEP FOUR: Clear Data and Cache - in ALL mail apps!
This is when I did many, many things on my phone. I removed my google accounts from my phone, re-added them. Cleared data and cache in the Gmail app. Cleared data and cache in the Contacts app (if you do this, make sure you have a backup first, somewhere). Filtered contacts in the Contacts app. Restarted phone. Synced contacts for Gmail. But every time I went into Gmail to test this, no matter which account I tried, I kept getting the list of auto-complete addresses that didn't seem to exist anywhere else.

It occurred to me that I also have a hotmail address on my phone, in the standard Email app. Just on a whim, I went into Apps - Email and also cleared data/cache. A bunch of the bad addresses showing up seemed to be ones I had only emailed through the Gmail app, but still..I was desperate. After re-adding the info for my hotmail account back again, all the bad addresses finally disappeared everywhere, including from the Gmail app!

(I went onto my hotmail account in the web browser on my computer and clicked on the menu to go to People. None of the bad email addresses showed up here, but I still cleaned up the whole contact list. Then I went back to outlook.com and went to settings, options, then Advanced Privacy Settings where I selected "only suggest people in my contact list" and hit save.)

Super annoying problem, but glad I found this thread which sent me down the right path. I'd already suspected that Google tracks and remembers everything about me, and I know it for sure now.

mefl2011gmail.com

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
After trying several ways to remove the bad e-mail address, I discovered that all you need to do is
1. open to key board add
2. type in the e-mail address
3. tap the ">" symbol to the right hand side of the e-mail address to display the bad address
4. select the e-mail address then a box will be displayed "REMOVE" just select "OK" to remove the bad autofill word
5. all should be fixed (P.S. this can be used to remove anything in the autofill fields"

andy3l

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
Hey, I just figured it out. Go into any app, pull up your keyboard and start typing. When the wrong email appears in the auto fill area, tap on the arrow to expand the area. You should see 'Auto replace' at the bottom of the drop down, with an on-off button. Turn it off, tap and hold the incorrect email address, select 'ok' in the 'Remove' dialogue box, and turn auto replace back on. No more wrong email auto filling. :)

You sir, are a genius!! Many thanks :)

junglecat14

Mar 30, 2018
Visit site
The auto correct would be stored in your keyboard app, not Google or Gmail. Try clearing the cache / data of your keyboard app and see if that helps. I use Swiftkey, so I'm not sure what the name of the app is for the stock keyboard but I'm sure someone here or on XDA could point that out if you need it.

This worked. Deleting contacts from Gmail contact list did not.
Settings>Apps>Gboard>Clear cache
Problem solved.

Paddy333

Apr 10, 2018
Visit site
MY Contacts VS OTHER Contacts Labels and auto-complete

Once I cleared out the old auto-complete email addresses (thanks DLeoLion!) there was still a lot of junk from the Other Contacts folder in Gmail (Web) in the auto-complete list on my phone.
When you create a new contact it is added to My Contacts.
My Contacts phone numberes are synced with the Contacts App on my phone.
Other Contacts phone numbers are NOT synced to phone.
For years I've have been moving old contacts out of My Contacts into Other Contacts to keep phone contacts list tidy.
BUT Gmail scrapes all the email address info from Other Contacts and adds it to the auto-complete list on phone.
I wanted to clear these old email addresses from auto-complete too, here's what I did:

1) Tidied all old contacts out from My Contacts to Other Contacts
2) Some people in My Contacts have several email addresses. I moved the extra email addresses into their description text box. Email addresses in the description box are NOT synced to your phone.
3) Exported Other Contacts to a 2nd Gmail account:
Other Contacts > More > Export > Other Contacts > Google CSV
then imported into a second Gmail account:
My Contacts > More > Import ...
4) Deleted Other Contacts from 1st email account.
5) Un-installed/Re-installed Gmail App
6) Voila all nice and tidy!

If i want an old email address I will log into my 2nd email account on the web.
You could add the 2nd account to your phone contacts temporarily, but you'll probably drag all the old email addresses into the auto-complete list.

Hope that may be of use to someone :)

If someone knows a simpler way to do this, please post :))

tamar#AC

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks DLeoLion! Worked great on Android 8.1 on my Pixel 2 XL.

Here's why I was initially skeptical to try it, though: I am NOT syncing my contacts to my phone! Yet, that was the fix. Very weird operating behavior, but it did it.

Jeffsharpesap

Nov 30, 2018
Visit site
I know Blackberry is old, old news, but I still like (and pay for) their Hub.

Just installed it on my new Google Pixe 3. Having the same problem with Hub when sending emails, but found the answer there.

If you don't use Hub then this isn't as useful I guess. In "Contacts" (part of Hub) go to Settings and "Manage Suggested Recipients". You can search for the email you are having problems with and delete the 2 or 3 (or in my case 6) old/bad ones.

Then I tried email again and volia, no more old/bad suggestions, only the good one.

It might help a few older guys like me who still love Hub.

Mannypl

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
This is the correct answer. Works on my Galaxy S9 too.Many thanks Sarah, this has been bugging me on my old S5 phone as well as my new one. Now it's fixed! What Sarah means is press and hold on the incorrect prediction which is in blue till the warning pops up. I had to use a magnifying glass to read it but if i had turned the phone to landscape orientation I would have read it OK. Thanks again Sarah!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali