[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like you've already done this (if not try it):

1. Remove the battery, SD card if you have one
2. Insert the battery
3. Hold "1" on the keyboard
4. Plug in the USB cable and continue holding "1" on the keyboard

If the above doesn't work, you can use the Android Debug Bridge (ADB) to get into download mode:

1. Download & install the appropriate Android SDK for your computer OS version/Android OS version.
2. Open up a command prompt (windows+r cmd)
3. Navigate to the SDK tools folder (using "cd" to change directories in command prompt)
4. Type the following command
Code:
adb reboot download

btgoodlin

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
It's a magical day long process.
I now can get the downloading screen to come up, but now I get an Odin error
<ID:0/007> Added!!
<ID:0/007> Odin v.3 engine (ID:7)..
<ID:0/007> Can't open the specified file. (Line: 1224)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I'll keep trying throughout the day, different USB ports and what not, but any idea what line 1224 would be? Is that in the pit file? tar file? my phone? Odin?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I'll keep trying throughout the day, different USB ports and what not, but any idea what line 1224 would be? Is that in the pit file? tar file? my phone? Odin?

I would recommend redownloading the .pit and .tar files, possibly one of them could be corrupt/damaged if its saying "Can't open the specified file". Its obvious Odin "finds" your phone we know that much. Make sure that, ".md5" is removed from the .tar file too..

btgoodlin

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Good grief! This file is taking ages to download. It's only 255MB! Is the server I'm getting it from running a 14.4kb modem or something? Piece of crap. Ha, and after all of this time waiting and download, I just have this feeling it won't work. Haha.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Its because your using the free download service. You have to pay for the premium service at one of those selected file servers to get high speed download.

At least redownloading the files again assures you are using good files before moving forward.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Are you trying to flash Eclair or Froyo? The version of Odin in this thread is for Eclair - if you're trying to flash Froyo, use this version of Odin instead.

btgoodlin

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Files downloaded and I am using
Odin3+v1.61.exe with
victory_8G_100528.pit and
SPH-D700-DI18-8Gb-REL.tar

Taking heaps long and seems to be stuck loading. Like 15 minutes stuck w/no status bar progress.
Good news for me is that its recognized and doing something!

The stock flash forum says to only click 'auto reboot' and 'f. reset time' boxes, but I wonder if I should have the 're-partition' box checked since I formated to ext4 before this all happened. eh?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
That's the wrong version of Odin - you need Odin3_v1.0.exe, as linked in post #1 of this thread. And no, do not check the re-partition box.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
We only have ourselves to blame. Odin is a program used internally by Samsung - the only reason we have it is because it was leaked. We're not supposed to be able to do any of this. We're supposed to stay stock and at whatever official software they give us, which is very easy.

vtective

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I apologize in advance of this is a repeat question, I couldn't find an answer through search...

If you upgrade to DK28, convert to EXT4 and install a ROM, but want to go back to DI18 in hopes that one day there will be an offical build of Froyo released... will using this process be a problem? Do I need to do anything to convert back to RFS? Will running Odin take care of everything for me?

Thanks in advance!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I apologize in advance of this is a repeat question, I couldn't find an answer through search...

If you upgrade to DK28, convert to EXT4 and install a ROM, but want to go back to DI18 in hopes that one day there will be an offical build of Froyo released... will using this process be a problem? Do I need to do anything to convert back to RFS? Will running Odin take care of everything for me?

Thanks in advance!

Yes Odin will completely return you back to stock form when you purchased your phone.

Reactions: vtective

EPICfailure#AC

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I have tried all of these things, except for running heimdall... I'm not having the same problem this person was. my phone is stuck at the samsung screen. I can only boot to download mode. I've tried 3 different computers (2 PC's and a Mac) and neither they or odin will recognize anything about my phone. Surely I'm not the only one who's had this problem. Should I try heimdall anyway? Surely there's got to be an easier fix than what I'm reading. I've spent so much installing and uninstalling and scrolling my way through forums but everybody keeps telling me to do the same thing..which doesn't work. I will PAY someone to take the time to chat with me and help me figure this out.

*EDIT*
I just installed and ran heimdall and when I tell it to show all devices there is nothing but a camera listed.

Last edited:

stillers21

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
No GPS?

After putting 2.2 on my phone following the above step, I cant seem to get a GPS fix. Is there something else I need to do? When I open google maps it is constantly 'waiting for location'.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have tried all of these things, except for running heimdall... I'm not having the same problem this person was. my phone is stuck at the samsung screen. I can only boot to download mode. I've tried 3 different computers (2 PC's and a Mac) and neither they or odin will recognize anything about my phone. Surely I'm not the only one who's had this problem. Should I try heimdall anyway? Surely there's got to be an easier fix than what I'm reading. I've spent so much installing and uninstalling and scrolling my way through forums but everybody keeps telling me to do the same thing..which doesn't work. I will PAY someone to take the time to chat with me and help me figure this out.

*EDIT*
I just installed and ran heimdall and when I tell it to show all devices there is nothing but a camera listed.

Do you have the Samsung drivers installed? Did you try the alternate drivers? How about using a different USB cable?

After putting 2.2 on my phone following the above step, I cant seem to get a GPS fix. Is there something else I need to do? When I open google maps it is constantly 'waiting for location'.

Try this: http://forum.androidcentral.com/epic-4g-roms-hacks/47362-three-procedures-fix-gps-problems-froyo.html

EPICfailure#AC

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I've tried everything. installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled drivers. Tried 94344 usb ports and 15943 usb cables. I've uninstalled and reinstalled odin twice...I've tried heimdall on a pc's and mac's...Is this something somebody from samsung or google would be able to help me with? Is it even possible to get in touch with somebody from samsung or google who would actually know what to do? I'm sorry if this isn't the best place to post this I just don't know what to do.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
What Ragnarokx said ^ ^ above post is a IMPORTANT. You must start Odin FIRST then you plug in your phone or Odin will never see your phone. Odin is really fussy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fabsixfamily80