[How To] First time ╰╮╰╮ROOTING╰╮╰╮ walk-through 4/28/11

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: [How To] First time ╰╮╰╮ROOTING╰╮╰╮ walk-through 4/28/11

these instructions are still working, as long as you follow them, you should have no problem.

HOWEVER....
for some strange reason i'm not getting my phone to work with me, maybe someone can help?
i'm begining to understand this stuff, but still noob enough to not know what i'm doing wrong.. lol
i was rooted, did the comrom2.0 packaged with pbj -50 kernel and that worked great... pushed the 2.1comrom patch and threw on the steelblue v3.1 (for comrom2.1) theme. each time i get some sort of issue (contacts force close, or camera force close...) so i fix permissions, still same issue. "why not try a diffrent kernel" cause i'm not liking my battery drain and i'm having issues i'm thinking. so i tried EC10 comavolt voodoo kernel with and without edify and comrom 2.0 no kernel... push them just like the walkthru says TO A TEE.. followed every step, end up with "android" loading screen loop. after third time trying i push back to stock, OTA to froyo 2.2 and try again with the walkthru... still boot loop.

sweet mother of god does anyone know what i'm doing wrong ?! lol
if i can push the "packaged" rom/kernel why the crap can't i push the two seprate?!

any ideas would be awesome.

Are you flashing the ROM and the kernel in the same CWM session? If so, that would be the problem. It's much better to flash the ROM, let it boot, reboot to CWM, flash kernel, boot phone, reboot to CWM, flash theme. If you were already running Comm ROM 2.0 with the 2.1 patch and wanted to switch to ComaVolt kernel, you should have just booted to CWM and flashed the kernel by itself. No need to flash the ROM again when all you want to do is change kernels. Just leave the ROM as is and flash the different kernel in CWM.

Reactions: ExpertZero

ExpertZero

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

Are you flashing the ROM and the kernel in the same CWM session? If so, that would be the problem. It's much better to flash the ROM, let it boot, reboot to CWM, flash kernel, boot phone, reboot to CWM, flash theme. If you were already running Comm ROM 2.0 with the 2.1 patch and wanted to switch to ComaVolt kernel, you should have just booted to CWM and flashed the kernel by itself. No need to flash the ROM again when all you want to do is change kernels. Just leave the ROM as is and flash the different kernel in CWM.

yea, i was flashing both in same session of CWM, then boot. with the issues i was having i was hoping that starting stock, and flashing rom/kernel seprate instead of packaged rom/kernel would help (guessing that the kernel my phone didn't like). did nandroid restore back to the kernel/rom packed and scrapped the idea of comavolt and pbj and went with OTB 1.6.. seems more stable on my phone and i like some of the tweaks to CWM and the OC/UV options. not sure if any of the others had these features as i am pretty new to this, but this one does and i like it so far. i'm thinking i may do a nandroid backup from here.. do full stock wipe, then load just rom and kernel i want and see if i can get it to go... i mean if not i always have that nandroid to fall back on :D

is there a upside to going (stock to rom to kernel) over going (stock to rom/kernel package then flash new kernel) way?

sooo ... odin stock, reboot, odin, CWM, flash rom, reboot, odin, CWM, flash kernel, reboot, CWM, flash 2.1 patch, reboot, CWM, flash theme, reboot and rejoice sound about right?

Last edited:

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

yea, i was flashing both in same session of CWM, then boot. with the issues i was having i was hoping that starting stock, and flashing rom/kernel seprate instead of packaged rom/kernel would help (guessing that the kernel my phone didn't like). did nandroid restore back to the kernel/rom packed and scrapped the idea of comavolt and pbj and went with OTB 1.6.. seems more stable on my phone and i like some of the tweaks to CWM and the OC/UV options. not sure if any of the others had these features as i am pretty new to this, but this one does and i like it so far. i'm thinking i may do a nandroid backup from here.. do full stock wipe, then load just rom and kernel i want and see if i can get it to go... i mean if not i always have that nandroid to fall back on :D

is there a upside to going (stock to rom to kernel) over going (stock to rom/kernel package then flash new kernel) way?

sooo ... odin stock, reboot, odin, CWM, flash rom, reboot, odin, CWM, flash kernel, reboot, CWM, flash 2.1 patch, reboot, CWM, flash theme, reboot and rejoice sound about right?

Pretty much all of the custom ROMs are going to have a kernel packaged unless is specifically says no kernel is included. Your steps sound right except the third ODIN you mentioned. After you ODIN CWM, boot directly to CWM and flash a custom ROM with a custom kernel included, the CWM will stick and you won't have to ODIN CWM again.

Reactions: ExpertZero

ExpertZero

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

Pretty much all of the custom ROMs are going to have a kernel packaged unless is specifically says no kernel is included. Your steps sound right except the third ODIN you mentioned. After you ODIN CWM, boot directly to CWM and flash a custom ROM with a custom kernel included, the CWM will stick and you won't have to ODIN CWM again.

sweet, thanks for the help!

TylerDavis406

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site

I am new to rooting and this whole process. I got to the "To establish root you'll need to boot into CWM.

If you are following the guide beginning to end you'll need to reinsert your phones battery.

1. With the phone powered off press and hold the volume up, volume down, and power buttons simultaneously. Hold the buttons until the samsung logo comes up, then goes black, then comes back up. Release the buttons now and you'll enter CWM.
2. Scroll down to "install zip from sdcard" and hit the power button.
3. Scroll down to "choose zip from sdcard" and hit the power button.
4. Scroll down to your "roms" folder, and hit the power button.
5. Scroll down to the su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19.zip file and hit the power button."

However I cannot find su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19.zip file --- HELP?!

mouser991

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

I am new to rooting and this whole process. I got to the "To establish root you'll need to boot into CWM.

If you are following the guide beginning to end you'll need to reinsert your phones battery.

1. With the phone powered off press and hold the volume up, volume down, and power buttons simultaneously. Hold the buttons until the samsung logo comes up, then goes black, then comes back up. Release the buttons now and you'll enter CWM.
2. Scroll down to "install zip from sdcard" and hit the power button.
3. Scroll down to "choose zip from sdcard" and hit the power button.
4. Scroll down to your "roms" folder, and hit the power button.
5. Scroll down to the su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19.zip file and hit the power button."

However I cannot find su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19.zip file --- HELP?!

I had this same problem. Couldn't find the file so instead of copying the zip file to the "roms' folder I dragged it over and placed it directly on the sd card so it just shows up by itself and not in a folder. Try it that way and see if you can find it.

MunkinDrunky

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

So I lost root 'cause I did the most recent update, but before I can re-root, can someone help me out with installing the android sdk. I recently had to reinstall windows and i forgot how to do the tricky set up for sdk. I have a windows vista 64 bit machine and sdk wont install because java jdk is not found. I have installed it, but can't remember if it was suppose to install to program files, program files (x86), i guess this one is for 64-bit stuff, or the the root of the drive C\, because i remember that sdk needs to go at the root too? I tried all 3 installation places but no luck. Any suggestions cause I know I'm missing something key. I hope this question belongs to the rooting thread and that someone has had this same little hitch.

MunkinDrunky

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

Oh figured out my problem. Got SDK back on my computer when it could not find the java jdk. During the SDK install i just hit back when it cant find the jdk then hit next and it finds it. I know this is only slightly relevant to rooting so sorry for going off toipic

anub

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

I had to go back to stock after borking CWM7.7. Can I possibly just rename "cwm4_fixed_for_cm7-CWM.zip" to "update.zip" and install it from stock recovery to get root and nandroid backup back?

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I had to go back to stock after borking CWM7.7. Can I possibly just rename "cwm4_fixed_for_cm7-CWM.zip" to "update.zip" and install it from stock recovery to get root and nandroid backup back?

Doesn't work that way. The new CWM's install directly to the boot partition. The update.zip file was simply a gateway to get into the older CWM, not the actual CWM itself.

Reactions: anub

anub

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

Sorry for dumb question and hopeless dysfunc with acronyms. And hopeless navigating threads, don't know how you do it. So somewhere in the link from your sig I should find the right Odin CWM for the stock 2.2.2 I have now which I'm guessing might be the 3.0 all or maybe back to red 2.5.1.x? Just looking to get rooted and have nandroid backup ability for now.

Thanks again LS for all you and all the gang do.

edit: guess this was another dumb post. So I like the way the stock 2.2.2 is after bumbling improperly thru many custom roms (right vernacular?). So maybe is there a rooted, de-bloated, CWM'd custom version that maintains the excellent battery life, full functionality and reliability of the stock 2.2.2? If such exists could someone point me to it?

edit 2: so closest i could find was good ol SFC 2.9.2v with su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19. At least this time I came straight from stock 2.2.2 with ed05 radio. Will see how it goes, waiting for stable GB 2.3. w00t, \o/ i hope :-\

Last edited:

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for dumb question and hopeless dysfunc with acronyms. And hopeless navigating threads, don't know how you do it. So somewhere in the link from your sig I should find the right Odin CWM for the stock 2.2.2 I have now which I'm guessing might be the 3.0 all or maybe back to red 2.5.1.x? Just looking to get rooted and have nandroid backup ability for now.

Thanks again LS for all you and all the gang do.

edit: guess this was another dumb post. So I like the way the stock 2.2.2 is after bumbling improperly thru many custom roms (right vernacular?). So maybe is there a rooted, de-bloated, CWM'd custom version that maintains the excellent battery life, full functionality and reliability of the stock 2.2.2? If such exists could someone point me to it?

edit 2: so closest i could find was good ol SFC 2.9.2v with su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19. At least this time I came straight from stock 2.2.2 with ed05 radio. Will see how it goes, waiting for stable GB 2.3. w00t, \o/ i hope :-\

SFC is no longer being supported. It has been replaced by Comm ROM. You can still use SFC if you want, but it was based off of the leaked EB01 Froyo build. Comm ROM is based on the official ED01 Froyo build and therefore more stable:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-comm-rom-2-1-ukb-tsm-updated-06-20-11-a.html

And the latest CWM you should be using is this one:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36791/CWM3_Voodoo.tar.md5

Flash in the PDA section of ODIN

Reactions: anub

youngifame

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

The link is dead for the super user package any ideas where i can find it?

armyjeep2004

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

i fallowed the steps in this guide to root my phone using odin i only want to root my phone right now. i installed the superuser zip + busybox then rebooted my phone from the red screen super user never showed up so i got it from the market then installed a root tester and it says i am not rooted
Nevermind the root test program was wrong

Last edited:

Wrenchman9#AC

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

OK, rooted my phone running 2.2.2. It is rooted according to Titanium Backup which gave the message that Superuser permission were granted. Followed instructions to the letter. Phone makes calls but will not take an IP address from the router for WiFi and will not do any data at all. I know I'm missing something simple. But what is it?

mothy

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site

I followed the instructions and it did not root my phone it told me the zip completed and installed but after reboot no superuser and no privileges in root explorer. I also tried grabbing superuser from the market.

Any ideas.

Wrenchman9#AC

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

I followed the instructions and it did not root my phone it told me the zip completed and installed but after reboot no superuser and no privileges in root explorer. I also tried grabbing superuser from the market.

Any ideas.
I got it. I just reflashed with Froyo Offical and then did comm rom 2.0 and the 2.1 patch.

Bitter13

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site

Sorry, I've been able to find my question by searching but not the answer.

I'm trying to root... got all the way to the point where I'm supposed to look for
"su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19.zip" in my roms folder.

It's not showing a roms folder and I don't see that zip file.

I gather that it may be up to me to download that file and put it on my sd card but can not find a link to download that file anywhere??

scherminator354

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

hey bro i did all that n it said "successfully exploited, installing permanent root files and deleting temp files" and then after it says "mount: operation not permitted" n then the fone restarts :( and its not rooted because their is no superuser can u plz help....

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shellycharls9