How to keep album art out of gallery?

Grifftology

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I did try to search the forum and didnt find anything so i apologize if this is a bother but I was wondering how I exclude album artwork from showing up in the gallery app? It's absolutely everywhere in the gallery right now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
If you have a file explorer app, just add a file named ".nomedia" (notice the "dot" in front) to directory to exclude any files in that directory from the gallery.

EvoDragon

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Wish it used a ".nophotos" file, as the .nomedia file also prevents the music player from finding the music.

The problem is I have no art in my music folders; the scanner is finding the art embedded in the mp3's. Still looking for an in-house solution without downloading QuickPic to do what the phone should already be doing on it's own.

AndroDragon

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Changed login from EvoDragon to AndroDragon since I have the S3 instead of the Evo 4G.

Found my solution. Samsung customer service was no help, ended by saying there is no current solution to the issue. But she did say the Music Player was finding the artwork and sending it to the Gallery. What she didn't know (that I discovered) was the Music Player was storing those images in the Other folder. Deleting those files removed them from the Gallery. For now. I went into the Music Player and started playing one of the albums and the artwork did not reappear in the Other folder.

I suspect those images were created when "Synch"-ing my music to my phone through Windows Music Player. At least for now both standard apps are working as expected.

I'm glad, because in the interim I tried QuickPic, and I DID NOT like it. Glad to be back to the standard Gallery.

TucsonDave

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm also seeing a ton of album art in my photo gallery. I have both my music and photos stored on my micro SD card. The amount of album art practically makes the gallery impossible to use. I'm new to my VZW Razr M so any help would be appreciated.
I didn't understand what the above directions were talking about.
Thanks,
David

WAWood8

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm also seeing a ton of album art in my photo gallery. I have both my music and photos stored on my micro SD card. The amount of album art practically makes the gallery impossible to use. I'm new to my VZW Razr M so any help would be appreciated.
I didn't understand what the above directions were talking about.
Thanks,
David

If you're using a Verizon Razr phone -- then you're posting in the wrong section. This is for the Galaxy S3. Since this phone uses TouchWiz and the Razr uses a different UI, detail instructions you get here are unlikely to help. You really need to post in the Razr M section.

gfearz

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Quick solution for this . Create a new folder in your gallery , i.e." Album Art " and drag all of the art to it. You only have to look at one album cover. Hope that helps.

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately that solution doesn't work when the artwork is actually embedded in the mp3 itself (which is more common than you think).

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Even with it embedded in the MP3s the music player makes a secondary folder and stores copies of the embedded art. If you look for that folder and either create a nomedia file for it or delete it the will be gone from your gallery.

It is found be either using a file explorer or connecting to a computer. In the device memory go to android- data- com.Samsung.music- cache- and make sure the nommedia file is in the covers folder.

Posted via Android Central App

Mi Ca1

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I have seen no such folder of separate music art (samsung galaxy s relay 4g)

I did a search through all phone storage and found no such duplicates of any music art file. So I suspect the above comments are not correct.

If anyone knows of a real solution and can back it up with actual directories and details, we would be interested to see it. Otherwise, please don't post speculation as it is a waste of time and space.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
They could be thumbnails. Look in your SDcard (internal storage) DCIM folder and look in the .thumbnails folder.
In MENU I turned thumbnails off.

Vlad Draghia

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Those garbage thumbnails hid in my "/Android/data/com.android.providers.media/" under cache or something. Also browse the .thumbnails folder in /sdcard if any other thumbnails are pissing you off. Hope it works :-\

toddbingham

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I was searching for a solution for this. Not sure why gallery doesn't let you hide certain folders but it just doesn't.

The easiest fix (at least for me) is to change the jpg to the file name "folder.jpg"

That way your music app can still display the art but the gallery app knows that it's album art and won't display it. Obviously the way you have your music stored on your device can change this but I keep every album in it's own folder so it works for me.

ThiagoPv

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
A solution that worked for me was to create an empty file named .nomedia in the main folder of the musics. This can be used also to keep privacy for other folders that have pictures you don't want to be shown.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WyattEarp