[HOW-TO] [NEW VERSION] Install Nookie Froyo to Internal Memory

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Update 2/8: Nookie has been updated to version 0.6.7 - SD card issues fixed + more

Download the new version and place it in the root directory of your SD card (sdcard/).

If you don't already have ClockworkMod installed, this can be done from the stock B&N ROM by getting ROM Manager from the market, and selecting the option to install Clockwork. Then choose the option to put into Clockwork.

** If you're already running Nookie Froyo from your internal memory, flashing Clockwork from ROM Manager won't work. You'll need to burn this image of Clockwork to an SD card, then remove the SD, insert another one with the Nookie image (or re-format the one you just took out) THEN proceed to the next steps:

In clockwork, choose wipe data/factory reset. The choose wipe cache. Then choose install zip from sd. Choose the nookie file you just downloaded. Reboot, and you're all set!

ADB Installation of Google Apps:

1. download the google apps files, and unzip the file so that it extracts the folder called 'system' into the 'Tools' directory in the SDK folder. **

2. Now you'll open a command prompt in Windows (start menu>run>type 'cmd') and navigate to the correct folder (cd [folder directory's path]). On Mac, this would be done via Terminal.

3. Now, with your NOOKcolor connected to your computer's USB port, type the following (of course, hit enter after each line):

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
adb push [here, enter the path to your SDK tools folder]\system system/
adb reboot

4. Now your NC will reboot. When it boots, you'll have Market, Gmail, Google Maps, and many more Google apps.

* If you're getting a "device not found" error when running adb, download and unzip this file, open install.exe, and follow the on-screen prompts (this will install drivers so your computer will recognize the nook).

One of the first things to do:

Before you start, one of the most important things to remember with the current version of nookie is to turn the screen off/on (do this each time you boot your nook). There's some serious touchscreen lag by default, and this is the very simple solution to make it go away. Nothing fancy, just put the screen to sleep for a sec, and when you turn it back on, it'll be plenty responsive.

* Note that the steps in these forums for installing the new Market won't work with Nookie on internal memory (it "works," but nothing will download) so stick with the Market that's installed in this post for now.

* If you want to support nookie froyo, you can donate to the developer behind nookie froyo.

Now that you're started, check out our sticked "Tips for Nookie Froyo" thread!

OPTIONAL (but recommended for VERY fast performance) - install overclock kernel:

Download this file

Extract it in your SDK tools directory (make sure it's called uImage)

Open a command prompt from that same directory, and enter the following:

adb shell

mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1 /

mkdir tmpfolder

mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 tmpfolder

exit

adb pull tmpfolder/uImage uImagebak

adb push uImage tmpfolder/uImage

adb shell

umount tmpfolder

rmdir tmpfolder

exit

adb reboot

You should now be able to overclock the CPU up to 1100MHz (SetCPU can be very handy in making sure that part's all kosher).

OLDER VERSIONS/INSTRUCTIONS BELOW FOR ARCHIVE:

UPDATE 1/28: Nookie can now be flashed via ClockworkMod Recovery. This method is by far the easiest.

* credit to modembug, whose thread can be found here: [ROM] Flashable Froyo v.01 ***update.zip*** - xda-developers

1. Download flashable Nookie 0.5.9 here, and place it in the root directory of your SD card (sdcard/)

2. On the rooted stock ROM, get ROM Manager from the Market.

3. In ROM Manager, choose "flash ClockworkMod Recovery."

4. Still in ROM Manager, choose "Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery."

5. Once in Clockwork, you can navigate up/down with the volume keys. You can select with the "n" button. You can go back with the power/sleep button (though this doesn't always work, reboot and re-enter recovery if you get stuck).

6. Choose "wipe data/factory reset" (yes, this will do just that - any risk is yours. Refer to the "restore nook to stock" stickied thread if you run into trouble)

7. Choose Install zip from SD Card. Pick the zip file you just downloaded.

8. Reboot, and you should now have Nookie running on your internal memory.

(9.) If you want, refer to the overclock kernel thread for instructions on installing the kernel for internal nookie (not yet a flashable zip, adb is required)

**This doesn'ts include Google Apps. To install Google apps (including Market), you'll still need to use ADB INSTALLATION OF GOOGLE APPS instructions are a ways down below **

- Note that you'll no longer have clockwork recovery after flashing nookie.

*** It looks like this image may have been compiled from Nookie v0.5.8 (not the most recent version), which means your browser may force-close when you navigate to google.com.

This can be solved by:

a) using a 3rd party browser (xScope and Dolphin HD rock) and setting your User Agent to "desktop"

b) searching via a search widget or the softkeys search button. This way you don't have to actually visit google.com

c) do one of the more complicated steps below--which I can vouch are based off of the most recent release of Nookie. ***

OLD (HARDER) INSTRUCTIONS . . . I'LL KEEP THEM HERE FOR REFERENCE FOR A LITTLE WHILE, ABOVE WAY IS THE EASIEST NOW:

Nookie Froyo can now be manually installed on the Nook Color's internal memory, but we have to stress that this is some advanced command-line stuff, so please only proceed if you have experience with adb and are willing to take risks with your device (we aren't responsible yadda yadda).

* THERE ARE NOW TWO VERSIONS OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS POSTED. THE FIRST VERSION IS SIMPLER, BUT SOME HAVE HAD PROBLEMS DOWNLOADING FROM THE MARKET AFTER INSTALLING. THE SECOND METHOD HAS SOME EXTRA STEPS, BUT THE MARKET SHOULD BE FINE (JUST DON'T INSTALL THE NEW MARKET).

BOTH METHODS WILL ERASE ALL OF YOUR NOOK'S CURRENT INTERNAL MEMORY. THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE SOUND, BUT ANY RISK IS YOURS. REFER TO THE STICKIED 'RESTORING NOOK TO STOCK' THREAD IF NECESSARY.

FIRST VERSION OF INSTALLING NOOKIE FROYO INTERNALLY:

Credit to modembug, whose xda thread can be found here: [HOWTO] Nookie Froyo for EMMC ***Very fast!*** - xda-developers

First, download the following two compressed files to your computer (credit to novarider):

system.img.tar.gz

boot.img.tar.gz

You'll want to extract the two img files (boot.img and system.img) to the SD Card partition of a booting Nookie Froyo SD card:

Download the files to your computer and extract them somewhere (WinRAR works, among others). Then on your Nook which is running Nookie Froyo from SD, get WiFi file browser from the market. Connect the computer to the Nook with the app (over the same network) and transfer the two files to the root of the SDCard (sdcard/)

After doing this, use a file explorer in Nookie Froyo, and double-check that boot.img and system.img are in the 'sdcard/' directory.

Next, in your Nookie settings menu, set the display timeout to 30 minutes (if the screen goes to sleep during this process, your computer could lose the connection to the nook and you'd probably have to start all over).

Now you'll connect your Nook to your computer, and open a command prompt window in your sdk tools directory.

Enter (or copy/paste) the following (enter after each line):

adb shell

mkdir tmpfolder

mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 tmpfolder

cd tmpfolder

rm -r *

cd ..

mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p6 tmpfolder

cd tmpfolder

rm -r *

cd ..

umount tmpfolder

rmdir tmpfolder

dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1

dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5

Nookie Froyo should now be installed on your NC's internal memory. You can now skip down to the kernel installation section.

SECOND VERSION OF INSTALLING NOOKIE INTERNALLY:

* credit to theyownus for instructions. He credits samuelhalff for all his help. samuelhalff credits his family and all his coaches and staff for their support during the hard times (okay, not really).

1. For these commands, it's highly recommended to start with a stock (rooted) wiped Nook Color. For these purposes, the best way to do this is to follow the directions in the "how-to Restore Nook Color to stock" thread). The interrupting boot 8x method is not recommended here, please do the second method that takes up the bulk of that page.

2. You'll need a fresh copy of Nookie Froyo burned to an SD card (meaning you haven't yet installed anything on it). See stickied "How-to run nookie froyo off sd card" thread for full instructions, but instead of the Nookie image from that thread, download this one and use it instead. Don't worry if it gives you a 'damaged sd card' error when booted from sd.

3. Download the following two files:

boot.zip

volds.zip

4. Unzip those files into your sdk tools directory (the directory that has adb.exe in it)

5. Boot your Nook with the fresh Nookie Froyo SD in it (so that it's running nookie froyo).

6. Set your Nook's display to a long display on time (menu>settings>display>screen timeout 30 minutes or something). This is because your computer will lose its connection to the nook if it goes to sleep.

7. Hook your nook up to your computer

8. Open a command prompt in the directory of your sdk tools directory, and run the following commands (enter after each line of course):

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1 /

adb shell

mkdir tmpfolder

cd tmpfolder

rm -r *

cd ..

cp -r system/* tmpfolder (this will take a minute)

umount tmpfolder

exit

adb push [folder-containing-extracted-boot.zip, for example c:/sdk/tools\bootextracted/] tmpfolder

adb shell

umount tmpfolder

mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p6 tmpfolder

cd tmpfolder

rm -r *

cd ..

umount tmpfolder

exit

adb push [folder-containing-extracted-volds.zip, for example c:/sdk/tools\voldsextracted/] tmpfolder/etc/

adb shell

umount tmpfolder

rm -r tmpfolder

exit

At this point, you can power your nook off and remove the nookie SD card. When you power on, it should boot into Nookie Froyo.

Now you should have Nookie booting from the internal memory!

OPTIONAL (but recommended for VERY fast performance) - install overclock kernel:

Download this file

Extract it in your SDK tools directory (make sure it's called uImage)

Open a command prompt from that same directory, and enter the following:

adb shell

mkdir tmpfolder

exit

adb pull tmpfolder/uImage uImagebak

adb push uImage tmpfolder/uImage

adb shell

umount tmpfolder

rmdir tmpfolder

exit

adb reboot

You should now be able to overclock the CPU up to 1100MHz (SetCPU can be very handy in making sure that part's all kosher).

Last edited:

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Is the SD card now visable via USB on a PC?

Yep! Makes things much easier.

I finally installed this on my own NC today, and it's faster than it was on a Class 10 SD. With the overclock kernel, it's pretty phenomenal. Quadrant score was in mid-1900's!!!

amoricaorbust

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Google Apps?

Does Google apps get installed in mmcblk1p2 or mmcblk0p5? I thought mmcblk1p2 is the system partition for booting from the SD card and mmcblk0p5 is the system partition in the Internal Memory.

Reactions: Will Shanklin

amoricaorbust

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Booting from Internal Memory fine and installed Google Apps but I can't install anything from the market. Download indicator will pop up in the notification bar for a split second and then goes away. The download status bars in the download page of the market app does not progress. Updated build.prop and can see missing apps but still can't install anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Booting from Internal Memory fine and installed Google Apps but I can't install anything from the market. Download indicator will pop up in the notification bar for a split second and then goes away. The download status bars in the download page of the market app does not progress. Updated build.prop and can see missing apps but still can't install anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I just realized I have the same issue. I'll look into it and get back to you.

UPDATE:

You installed the new market, didn't you? It looks like that's the culprit.

To get back to the old working market, repeat the steps of installing all the Google apps again. Reboot, and market should work again.

... Hopefully we'll find a way to get the new one working soon.

amoricaorbust

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I just realized I have the same issue. I'll look into it and get back to you.

UPDATE:

You installed the new market, didn't you? It looks like that's the culprit.

To get back to the old working market, repeat the steps of installing all the Google apps again. Reboot, and market should work again.

... Hopefully we'll find a way to get the new one working soon.

I did not. I've been testing each step as I go... truthfully, I dont know if I like the new market. I also notice that even with the build.prop change, I see more apps but still not all. I have a few EA games installed on my EVO that are missing from the market on the NC.

WGallahad

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
i'm having the same problems. i never installed the new market, but tried reinstalling the google apps again just in case. when i tell it to install something from the market it says "downloading" and then says "download unsuccessful". i can still install apps through the adb though.

gzusluvsu15

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
i'm having the same problems. i never installed the new market, but tried reinstalling the google apps again just in case. when i tell it to install something from the market it says "downloading" and then says "download unsuccessful". i can still install apps through the adb though.

Same thing for me too. I installed the new market and had the issue with the programs starting to download and then immediately stop. I reverted back to the original market and now they just say "Downloading" or "Download Unsuccessful". How can we get this working??

amoricaorbust

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Yep. Oops. Fixed.

I'm not sure it matters... I tried it both ways (without the SDCARD installed) each on a fresh install of Nookie Froyo and both times it seemed to install. And both times I got the same can't install apps from the market problem.

Of course this was at 1AM so who knows what I actually did :-\

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Those having problems downloading even from the old market, that's definitely different than what I had - reinstalling Google apps (w/ old market) fixed it for me . . . so lets try to find what we did differently.

I actually used the previously posted method of installing nookie internally from a freshly burned nookie SD . . . So maybe the images that are currently posted for nookie>internal have something already in place that's mucking with the market.....?

I'll look into it a little more and switch back to the old tutorial if necessary.

UPDATE:

So I updated the OP to also include the older instructions (more steps, but still sound), which was what worked for me with market downloads.

Those of you who just can't get market to download at all, I'd suggest backing up any important data via Titanium (I know you can't get anything from the market, but you can get the apk here), and reinstalling Nookie via the second method.

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited:

WGallahad

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I actually used the old method you had posted to do the Nookie Froyo to Internal Memory installation. it was working fine other than the market not installing anything i tried to select. I redownloaded the google apps file and reinstalled the files with ADB but it didn't fix it. Afterwards i used ADB to install Root Explorer and SWKeys11. After a restarting though, the nook stopped booting completely (wouldn't even power on) and i had to boot into nookie froyo on an SD card to restore the Nook to factory default. I was going to try installing the froyo again to the internal memory, but the instructions changed, and i wasn't able to download the nookie froyo.zip before the link went down, so i haven't done anything else since.

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I actually used the old method you had posted to do the Nookie Froyo to Internal Memory installation. it was working fine other than the market not installing anything i tried to select. I redownloaded the google apps file and reinstalled the files with ADB but it didn't fix it. Afterwards i used ADB to install Root Explorer and SWKeys11. After a restarting though, the nook stopped booting completely (wouldn't even power on) and i had to boot into nookie froyo on an SD card to restore the Nook to factory default. I was going to try installing the froyo again to the internal memory, but the instructions changed, and i wasn't able to download the nookie froyo.zip before the link went down, so i haven't done anything else since.

Didn't realize his link was dead. I have another one uploading (it'll be about 45 minutes).

If you already tried it the old way, maybe try this:

When you burn a fresh nookie image to boot into via SD, use this one instead of the one I posted on this site (I had tweaked a few things already in my image, but this one is completely unchanged). It will say damaged SD when you boot it from the SD, but that should change when it's on internal mem.

Then follow the instructions for the second method to copy that one over to your internal memory. That's actually exactly what I did last night, and my market is downloading perfectly.

Last edited:

WGallahad

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
THanks for the info Will,

Looking at your secondary directions using adb to push the boot and volds folder, the adb code for pushing the vold files is missing. not sure if that's intentional or not, but i remember that last time there was a line to push those files, but it's not in the directions anymore.

Update: Nevermind, looks like all the commands are there once i refreshed the browser.

Last edited:

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
THanks for the info Will,

Looking at your secondary directions using adb to push the boot and volds folder, the adb code for pushing the vold files is missing. not sure if that's intentional or not, but i remember that last time there was a line to push those files, but it's not in the directions anymore.

Refresh your page and it'll be there - I caught that earlier and changed it.

jesterdev

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Just did this, and I have no market, I don't mean it does not work, I mean I do not have a market icon. Also my device is not recognized when plugged into USB. Keep getting "error: device not found" in adb. - attempting to install the overclocked kernel.

Going to try again, maybe I missed a line or something? I don't think that's the case, but you never know.

Followed the second method.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
menblattcard