How-To : Removing sprint bloatware (with root)

jcole01272

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I really think you should download 7zip, download the ROM to your PC, and get rid of what you listed above and stock and peep too. All the BS can be found in system/app. See, if those apps aren't in the ROM when you flash it, you'll be fine. You still need to leave friendstream if you want to use any form of social networking sync and you need to leave weather or you'll break the HTC clock widgets (they use weather to determine location).

I did this on the rooted Froyo ROM, and it worked great! Got rid of Peep, Stock, News, etc. My only question for future use is how would I go about this with a ROM that is already active on my phone? Before the Froyo ROM came out, I just could not figure out how to get the current ROM off the phone...can you tell me how to go about that for if/when I need it?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Its odd.. i extracted the ROM zip file, deleted all sprint crapware, rezipped, then flashed to rom and the crap was STILL THERE... wtf it wont DIE

Don't extract the zip, you broke the signature. download 7zip, using 7zip explore the zip and delete the stuff you don't want. Also you need to wipe before flashing.

Ky1e.YC

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Got a quick question here. why i didnt see any odex files when i use root explorer to "uninstall" those htc apps(i just simple, mount r/w by hit the button on the right corner, then move those apks to another folder)?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Got a quick question here. why i didnt see any odex files when i use root explorer to "uninstall" those htc apps(i just simple, mount r/w by hit the button on the right corner, then move those apks to another folder)?

You're probably running a deodexed ROM.

Edit - And to answer your next question ...

Apk files have respective odexes that devs use to supposedly save space. Deodexing means you convert it back to a .dex file and put it back inside the apk. This allows you to easily replace files (not having to worry about odexes), but the main point was to deodex services.jar so that you can change all text to different colors (such as the clock color to white) and to deodex services.jar, you need to deodex everything.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Ky1e.YC

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Share who I removed apps in Fresh 3.2.0.0

By following the instruction of this thread, removed a few apks from \system\apps in the rom, then flash. trying to make some contribution here, so share what I did.

2m4sosn.png

Hope it helps a little

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
i cannot delete anything via root explorer...

i keep getting filename.apk cannot be deleted because the file system is read-only.

i get this for everything?

im rooted via simple root and using clockwork and AC rom.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

i keep getting filename.apk cannot be deleted because the file system is read-only.

It's cause you need to put Root Explorer in r/w mode. When you're in system app theres a little white toggle in the upper right hand corner of the screen in Root explorer, tap that to go into r/w mode.

Ky1e.YC

May 14, 2010
Visit site

you should notice there is button on the very top, "r/w", which can help to change permission to control files by root explorer.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Share who I removed apps in Fresh 3.2.0.0

By following the instruction of this thread, removed a few apks from \system\apps in the rom, then flash. trying to make some contribution here, so share what I did.

2m4sosn.png

Hope it helps a little

Holy tits... you deleted all of that? Just flash a non sense rom lol.

jpdaballa

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
hey guys i deleted the qik apk from root explorer but its still showing up, now when i click it it says

"the linked program is no longer installed on your phone"

how do i remove it so that it doesn't show up at all

Berliner

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if this have already been covered, but I just installed Root Explorer, but everytime I try to delete anything, like the amazonmp3 apk, it gives me a warning like, "amazonmp3.apk cannot be deleted because the file system is read-only." Any way around that?

Edit: Ok, I figured that out. Dumb on my part.

Last edited:

qwerty49392000

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm lost!

I rooted with unrevoked and I still can't get rid of the bloatware. I've tried all the backup and file explorer programs but they still stay on when it says that they are removed. Someone please help.

KMachine

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to say thanks for the great instructions in the original post. My EVO has been non-rooted since the OTA Froyo update came out, but with the new bloatware on the latest update (Blockbuster, Nova), I just had to root again. Now, I have my wireless tether back and finally got rid of Nascar!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brandiwagner