[How To] Root Your Droid X [Official 2.2 OTA]

fredboy

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
could i get some help? after I type in root shell all i get a money sign, after that when i type in commands nothing happens, it just repeats the last line i typed in

No worries mate, thats what is supposed to happen. Just continue down the instructions and reboot when finished.

I found that I needed to have my USB set to Media Mode, otherwise, I would get a blank list of devices when I did the adb devices. And extracting the files to the androidsdk/tools directory is the best way to go so you dont have to add extra paths to this direction

Millgasm

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
No worries mate, thats what is supposed to happen. Just continue down the instructions and reboot when finished.

I found that I needed to have my USB set to Media Mode, otherwise, I would get a blank list of devices when I did the adb devices. And extracting the files to the androidsdk/tools directory is the best way to go so you dont have to add extra paths to this direction

thanks for the info, but i continuously get this money sign even after it kicks me out and i kill-server then adb shell, its still there even after 3 attempts at the ./rage step what should i do?

thefurb

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
quite the situation

so i have kinda a weird situation first of all i was rooted before i took the update didnt unroot or remove my root apps then went ahead and updated everything went smoothly and to my surprise when went to universal androot to try and root again it said i was already rooted!! so it seemed that i didnt lose root during the update but none of my root apps work and i can still go in to superuser permissions but it force closes alot but when i try to unroot and root again it wont unroot or reroot i havent seen anything like this on the fourms so any help would be much appricated thanks

DeeBee85

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the instructions. Worked for me with minimal trouble (just had to manually install the adb drivers on my windows 7 laptop).

DeeBee85

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the info, but i continuously get this money sign even after it kicks me out and i kill-server then adb shell, its still there even after 3 attempts at the ./rage step what should i do?

I had to reinstall the adb driver manually after I was in "Charge only" mode. I tried rooting while under "windows media sync" mode and got the dollar sign the first time

Sharra

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Soo I figured this out, or at least it figured itself out. When I reconnected my phone and went to try again from the beginning for the third time, suddenly I had a root prompt, so I think it's all set!

I'm having some trouble and I am not sure where it is coming from. I followed the instructions clearly, have debug mode enabled for USB and have my phone in windows media sync. Everything worked fine until this step:

./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
- let the process run until it 'kicks' you out (may take a minute or two) to C:\android-sdk-windows\tools

When I run that step this is what I get:

./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
[*] CVE-2010-EASY Android local root exploit (C) 2010 by 743C

[*] checking NPROC limit ...
[+] RLIMIT_NPROC={3815, 3815}
[*] Searching for adb ...
[+] Found adb as PID 5014
[*] Spawning children. Dont type anything and wait for reset!
[*]
[*] If you like what we are doing you can send us PayPal money to
[*] 7-4-3-C@web.de so we can compensate time, effort and HW costs.
[*] If you are a company and feel like you profit from our work,
[*] we also accept donations > 1000 USD!
[*]
[*] adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login.
$

It never kicks me out, it always just goes back to the $. I never get the # after the next steps and going back to execute the rageagainstthecage does not change anything, it always does the same thing. Am I missing something or is this the way it is supposed to work? When I tried to go on and run the mount command it gives me an operation not permitted, so I assume I am not at the right place.

Any help would be super appreciated. TIA!

Last edited:

Baracuda2

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
If you are having trouble getting the ADB driver installed, try the latest from the Motorola site. Motorola_Mobile_Drivers_4.7.1_MotoConnect_1.1.31.

My previous 4.6 drivers weren't working for OTA froyo on the phone before rooting.

Ironman

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Successfully rooted on 2.2! Thanks man. Ran into a few hiccups though, first one being me not being able to push the superuser file to the sd card. To remedy that, I uninstalled the motorola drivers from the comp and reinstalled the Android composite ADB Device and it was able to send them.

Second one was when I was told I would get a #, it still gave me a $ sign. I disconnected my device, exited cmd, then reconnected my device, ran adb devices, then adb shell and the 2 steps after. That time I got a # sign and it went smoothly from there! Thanks again man you're awesome! Drocap and wireless tether running beautifully :D

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I can't download the Motorola drivers. I get an error everytime. It says the link is "dangerous" and won't allow it. I've never had that happen on any download before.

monkespit

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
question

when waiting for it to kick you out after the "./rage.." line you said it will take a minute or two, does that mean I should be concerned when it's been more than 10-15 minutes "checking NPROC limit" ?

lifebringer

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
FYI's for people:

I didn't unroot my stock 2.1 before installing the OTA update today, and had no problems with the update.

Windows 7 x64:

When you download/install ADB from the google link, let ADB download everything (that's what I did at least), all the packages and stuff.

I used Media Sync mode (the phone wouldn't show up when I did adb devices in Charge Only mode).

I usually had to wait a while (under a minute) for the phone to show up when I did the "adb devices" command, but eventually it would. Like another poster, the first time I did adb shell I still had a $ indicating no root yet. I did it twice more (and didn't disconnect the phone, didn't touch the command prompt either) and finally had root. If you need to re-do those steps, you'll have to do the three adjacent commands together (cd /data/local/tmp etc etc etc) and wait for the rage process to finish and kick you out of the adb prompt.

Hopefully this helps someone out there.

Thanks all! I will never buy another motorola phone if they keep this anti-hacking stuff up (there are still no *true* custom ROMs...), but you can't deny this is an awesome phone!

Be careful. Don't brick it. lol...

Reactions: neslot

slater

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
25 minutes on the
"adb connection will reset...
$"

is that bad?

EDIT: My Co-worker accidentally unlplugged my phone, i plugged it back in and I had the hash symbol (#) so I continued to go on and it is rooted now. Thanks a ton!

Last edited:

Red261

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I got it to work somehow. did anyone else have to go into the files on your phone and click on superuser.apk to install superuser?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter