[How To] Root Your Droid X [Official 2.2 OTA]

Red261

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I put the files in the wrong place on my computer but once I sorted that out it went through everything fine and I now have root access

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
how do you know if it worked? Barnacle says its running but my laptop will not connect.

I have heard of a few people running into problems with wireless tethering with 2.2 but I don't use it so I can't help you there.

You can tell if root works if you're able to use "root only" applications or if you have a terminal emulator, open it and type "su" and it should ask for superuser permission.

GTRDEALER

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Ever since i updated my phone i cant get a connection with my computer again. I tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them and still no luck. Anyone else have this issue?

curney

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I have heard of a few people running into problems with wireless tethering with 2.2 but I don't use it so I can't help you there.

You can tell if root works if you're able to use "root only" applications or if you have a terminal emulator, open it and type "su" and it should ask for superuser permission.

drocap worked so it must be Barnacle...hmm

jcochranusn

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Good Lord, can someone PLEASE help me:/ ??

I followed these instructions to a T, and it didn't work. I got to the part where I wait for the phone to "kick me out" ... it then reset my phone, and my phone came back on with an Android and an exclamation point! Then I did a battery pull and my phone came back on.

I then tried to redo everything, and when I got to the stage "chmod 0755..." it said that it was unable to chmod rageag...: Operation not permitted.

Can anyone PLEASE help me out? I had my 2.1 Droid X rooted, and then I did the OTA update WITHOUT un-rooting. When the update was finished, I still had superuser app and all that, but none of it worked because I lost root. Did I miss something?

Thanks for the support everyone!

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Good Lord, can someone PLEASE help me:/ ??

I followed these instructions to a T, and it didn't work. I got to the part where I wait for the phone to "kick me out" ... it then reset my phone, and my phone came back on with an Android and an exclamation point! Then I did a battery pull and my phone came back on.

Same issue here...

Had to pull out the battery... Ill prob give it another shot later tonight...

curney

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Got it. for those using Barnacle you may need to make a slight change in Barnacle settings. I needed to enable skip wpa_supplicant. alls good now. Thanks OP!!!

Break510

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I followed the instructions to a T but my Titanium Backup will not get root access.

EDIT: Fixed it, had to manually install Superuser.apk

Last edited:

jcochranusn

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
This is as far as I'm getting...

"adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login."

Then it just does nothing. Can anyone PLEASE help??? This is so frustrating.

slater

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
This is as far as I'm getting...

"adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login."

Then it just does nothing. Can anyone PLEASE help??? This is so frustrating.

I was sitting at this earlier today for an hour. My co-worker decided to unplug my phone...so I figured I'd have to restart...but nope I had the # instead of the $. In other words try unplugging the usb cable from your phone and it will "kick" you out..them just follow the ready of the instructions.

vital01

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
help

i get down to cd cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools after the ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin and says cant cd to C:\android-sdk-windows\tools

slater

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
i get down to cd cd ,C:\android-sdk-windows\tools after the ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin and says cant cd to C:\android-sdk-windows\tools

Are you actually typing "cd cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools"? Should only be one cd not two.

If it is just one cd make sure that you extracted the sdk to that specific folder.