How to stop my phone from closing apps because it's "too hot"?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I was driving with Google Maps when my Samsung Galaxy S10 closed the app automatically because my phone was "too hot". This was dangerous, because I didn't know where to go and i can't take time out of my commute to cool my phone down. I understand that it has to stop charging, but closing apps is too far. This is a tool, not a child. It shouldn't throw tantrums like that. How do i stop it from closing apps without my permission? And how do i open apps when it says my phone is too hot to open them? I can't find it anywhere in the settings.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I was driving with Google Maps when my Samsung Galaxy S10 closed the app automatically because my phone was "too hot". This was dangerous, because I didn't know where to go and i can't take time out of my commute to cool my phone down. I understand that it has to stop charging, but closing apps is too far. This is a tool, not a child. It shouldn't throw tantrums like that. How do i stop it from closing apps without my permission? And how do i open apps when it says my phone is too hot to open them? I can't find it anywhere in the settings.
Hi, if you can register a account here, me or other members be happy to assist you.

Once you register we can go over some things.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
If the phone gets too hot it'll fail completely (costing you money), this is a self-preservation feature for the device. All of the processes it's being asked to do will cause it to warm up, and if it's in the sun it'll only exacerbate the issue. Also - if it gets too hot you risk a battery failure, with serious consequences.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I encountered this as well recently when I was in Hawaii, with my Pixel 3 XL on a windshield-mounted phone holder. The combination of CPU-intensive activity like real-time navigation and the constant sun beating down led to the phone getting hot pretty quickly, and it did shut down at one point to prevent damage. The solution is to mount the phone away from the windshield -- use an AC vent mount, or a mount that goes in the cup holder or the DC outlet.

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
. "This was dangerous, because I didn't know where to go" Give me strength, you've got eyes, right? Getting a little bit off route is hardly dangerous compared to an exploding battery.

"This is a tool, not a child. It shouldn't throw tantrums like that." Hmmm, no comment!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
One suggestion - cache maps for regions where you often navigate. This draws the maps from the internal storage rather than using cellular data, the cellular data will draw more from the battery than reading from internal storage. This is possibly why I had nary a hiccup during my 3 hour drive to NYC on Saturday with my Pixel 2 XL mounted on a windshield mount and providing directions while charging. Added benefit - it reduces your data usage if you are on a metered data plan.