How To: Update To Gingerbrad Manually

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
with astro, you can extract the file on the device and move update.zip to the root of the sd.

mine worked fine, go gingerbread

(now if samsung would ever catchup, my galaxy tab would be awesome

Yes you can but the average user may not be able to figure that out and I was trying to make it as simple as possible.

Samsung will never learn, the Tab got Gingerbread when it should have gotten Honeycomb.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Keeps saying installation aborted.

It's saying "Can't open /cache/recovery/command"

Last edited:

chrisvisconti

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Tried doing this twice.. can't seem to find the fix for the problem I am and the others are seeing. I don't see the "update.zip" file to remove. Help?

rynbeed

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
THANK YOU!

I was checking every couple of hours for an OTA and was starting to feel like a crazy person. Haven't had it on for more then 10 minutes are already love the new look and feel. Tomorrow we will see if battery life is any better, which would just be awesome.

-ry

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
THANK YOU!

I was checking every couple of hours for an OTA and was starting to feel like a crazy person. Haven't had it on for more then 10 minutes are already love the new look and feel. Tomorrow we will see if battery life is any better, which would just be awesome.

-ry

I was the same way, which is why I posted it to make it clearer for others. Battery life seems about the same but it's been a light day for me so far.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Tried doing this twice.. can't seem to find the fix for the problem I am and the others are seeing. I don't see the "update.zip" file to remove. Help?

1 Download the file Droid pro 2.3.3 update.ZIP

2. use a program like winzip or aladin expander to extract it. This will create a folder Droid pro 2.3.3 update or something similar

3. Inside this folder you will find another zip file called update.zip

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks OP for the update file! I was trying to update my dad's Pro for days to no avail. The update went flawlessly! Went from 1001 in quadrant to over 1600 after GB! Amazing how fast this little phone really is.

fjfisher601#AC

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I just did this install and it worked perfectly ! WOW what a difference- ! Thank you so much for the download and perfect instructions. TO anyone else- be sure your phone has a solid charge and be patient while it loads the zip file- it took about 10 or so minutes- then re-booting about 3-5 more-

Cool ! Thank you again- :D :D

jbak21

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Been running GB for over 24 hrs now. Battery life has improved greatly. switching between apps/screen much fast and more fluid. Enjoy the new dock on the homescreen and the ability to create groups for apps. was not able to get corporate email before do to a certificate policy but with GB i am now able to. only complaint is that there is still an issue with connecting to wifi's with 802.1x encryption. have to use the wifi advanced configuration editor app to change setting to get a connection.

obeckles

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I am out of the country for the summer so I would not have gotten the OTA update - I followed the instructions and it worked just fine on my Droid Pro - Thanks

PS: For those of you out of the country like me - remember it WILL turn back on Data Roaming - be sure to go back and uncheck it or you might run up a huge data bill.

PPS: My solution for using both my Droid Pro and my Xoom for the summer out side of the country (Background: As of time of this posting Verizon is charging $100.00 for 70mb of data the second 70 mb is $350.00 and there after - I typically using about 3gigs a month so do the math - because I cant) the solution I found was to go to the local provider in this case a company call EMT and get a huawei e5 wifi cell router for about $110 and get a unlimited 6dn/2up package for $15.00

Last edited:

rynbeed

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Day 1 there seem to be a huge increase in battery life. By the end of my normal work day the battery is down to 40%, yellow by the time I make it home. Today with the same use it was at 60%. I'll take it.

That and everything seems to be running way smoother.

I just bought the 1700 battery... maybe I'll be able to use my phone without it dieing at the end of my day, everyday (slight exaggeration).

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Anyone got root for GB on Droid Pro yet?

For the moment 2.3.3 for the Droid Pro/X/2 is not rootable once it is already installed. p3droid created a pre-rooted install for the DroidX but I haven't seen one yet for the Pro. The Pro doesn't have the dev community that the X does so you're going to have to hold out for a root method that works across handsets like z4root did.

jamoiholland

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
For the moment 2.3.3 for the Droid Pro/X/2 is not rootable once it is already installed. p3droid created a pre-rooted install for the DroidX but I haven't seen one yet for the Pro. The Pro doesn't have the dev community that the X does so you're going to have to hold out for a root method that works across handsets like z4root did.

No problem, thanks for the heads-up, I'll keep a lookout for a universal root in future fingers crossed...

Tifoso

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
A friend was looking at my wife's pro that got the OTA update, and now wants GB on hers as well. One thing she doesn't want to do is have to set the phone back with all of her apps and data information if she can avoid it. Wife got it OTA so she didn't have to set her account up again like she would had she installed a leaked build. Does manually updating the Pro with the stock recovery method wipe all of the data and cache, or can I manually apply the update.zip and send her on her way without having to activate her phone and re-download all of her apps?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiid