How to upgrade from 11 to 12 now that 13 is available

Obi-Wan-YJ

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I have a Pixel 4a 5G running android 11. I've been ignoring the "upgrade to android 12" notification forever because I always had something better to do.

Now android 13 is available, but I hate being an early adopter. Is it too late for me to upgrade from 11 to 12? How would I do that?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm pretty sure updates are sequential, so if you start updating now, you'll first update to Android 12. If you want, you could stop there.

Obi-Wan-YJ

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Original poster speaking here.
Unfortunately, "check for updates" only lets me go straight to the most recent update (aka, android 13). I don't want to go that far. I only want to upgrade to android 12. Any ideas on how to do that?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately, "check for updates" only lets me go straight to the most recent update (aka, android 13). I don't want to go that far. I only want to upgrade to android 12. Any ideas on how to do that?
Welcome to AC!
Use Android tool to grab zip package for Android 12 if available here

https://developers.google.com/android/ota

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I made you the owner of the original guest post to make it easier for you to find.

That's interesting -- whenever I've gotten an older Pixel phone and started updating it, I've had to update sequentially. Your System Update screen specifically says that it's ready to install Android 13?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm pretty sure updates are sequential, so if you start updating now, you'll first update to Android 12. If you want, you could stop there.

I think the same. It’s iPhones that update to the latest, with no option of updating to anything earlier than that and stopping there.

Obi-Wan-YJ

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Your System Update screen specifically says that it's ready to install Android 13?

Yes, my system update screen specifically says that I'm about to be updated to Android 13. There's no indication that I have the option to install any other version.

Perhaps everybody's memory of step-by-step upgrades only applies to older android versions? I'm running 11 at the moment.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, my system update screen specifically says that I'm about to be updated to Android 13. There's no indication that I have the option to install any other version.

Perhaps everybody's memory of step-by-step upgrades only applies to older android versions? I'm running 11 at the moment.

The last time I had experience with this was when I got a Pixel 3a XL a couple of years ago that shipped with Android 9.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo