How's your Note 7 Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

don Adams

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: One Week In - How's your Note 7 Experience?

Maybe I'm a loner on this but my battery life has went through the roof on this phone. I am someone that uses their phone throughout the ENTIRE day (emails, text, web, games on break, phone calls, and social media). I started with 100% at 8am yesterday and with the regular use i got out of this, compared to the use i was getting out the note 5, i had 38% battery life when i got home at 8pm. I even worked longer and i still got a great battery life. This has been typical for me after the firsr couple of full charges then drains.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site

One thing I've noticed is that I use the iris scanner A LOT which is a complete surprise to me. The reason why is that coming from LG I never had a finger biometric device. So my muscle memory has been using the power button to turn on the device rather than the home button. So then once the screen turns on my eyes simply and almost accidentally unlock it.

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Loving this phone!!!

Screen is beautiful. The edge display works flawlessly in my opinion. It's hardly noticeable other than making the device smaller and sleeker. It's a significant improvement to the S7 Edge. I'm still running TW Grace UX, which surprised me because I normally install Nova. But TW has improved a lot. I may still make the switch to Nova for customization (and I do tend to find Nova to be a faster launcher). Battery life had been a bit of a mixed bag, but I think I've sorted it out and am easily making it through a day with my typical usage.

Bottom line is that I'm VERY happy. Hoping to hold onto this phone for at least a year, which is unusual for me!

laurmyer

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site

I went from the Note 4 to the Note 7. I opted not to get the Note 5 because of lack of micro SD card expansion. I only upgraded to Note 7 because my Note 4 started acting wonky and I didn't want to deal with it.

So far I like the Note 7 with the exception of the lack of a good tempered glass screen protector. I HATE the adhesive edges of the ones currently available! Ugh! Once anyone finds a decent tempered glass screen protector, please let me know!

Jennifer Boulders

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

Gave up my Note 5.... Don't like the edge screen. Seems a little glitchy but nothing to pull my hair out over. It does feel better in the hand. If my Note 5 had Micro SD Storage I wouldn't have upgraded.

Dimas de Leon

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site

This is from Todd Anthony's instructions from another thread so I'll give credit where credit is due

Go into the Always On Display section in settings. At the bottom click ABOUT ALWAYS ON DISPLAY. Make sure it is version 1.7.29. if it isn't, it should give you an option to update it right then and there. If you are on that version, go to LAYOUTS, Content to Show = CLOCK, and then scroll to the very last one on the bottom. That AOD lets you use your own photo. :)

Here's mines .....
View attachment 237158

Mine just upgrade to version 1.7.34, not sure what the difference is but I can see that I can add a background in addition to a photo

Screenshot_20160826-092107.jpg.

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site

Maybe I'm a loner on this but my battery life has went through the roof on this phone. I am someone that uses their phone throughout the ENTIRE day (emails, text, web, games on break, phone calls, and social media). I started with 100% at 8am yesterday and with the regular use i got out of this, compared to the use i was getting out the note 5, i had 38% battery life when i got home at 8pm. I even worked longer and i still got a great battery life. This has been typical for me after the firsr couple of full charges then drains.

You are not alone. This is exactly the experience I've had moving from the Note 5 to the Note 7. This is the best battery performance I've had in a phone. I've got charging capabilities all over my office, car, and home, but once at night is all I'm needing.

madmurd

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site

Mmm things not looking as good as I thought. Might sack n7 and grab a s7 edge insted

Inevitable Flux

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site

Pretty decent. Lag is more pronounced on the Note 7 than it was on my Note 5, but in every other way, it's an improvement. I also, initially, wasn't too happy about action memo disappearing from Samsung Notes. Happy to see it'll make it's return with an update in late September.

All in all... I'd only return the Note 7 if I had a momentary lapse in judgment or if I was in some sort of nightmare, possibly.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Honestly, I miss my Note 5. Mainly its the edge screen I'm not a fan of. But everyone's different.

I was thinking same thing, but I can one hand the N7 comfortably, but not the N4, 5 or MXPE. The display is really good and using a Spigen thin case (the model that leaves the buttons uncovered) adjusts for having no bezel.

Still see what you mean though.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

Coming from a G4 (before that a Note 3) and not someone totally intolerant about lags, the Note 7 has been performing well for me so far and much better than my G4 in terms of smoothness and responsiveness.

- Got a black Note 7. One of the best looking phone ever to me.
- Love the fingerprint and Iris scanners, work perfect for me.
- S pen is great, and the best feature to me is the screen off memo (already exist in Note 5) which truly allows you to take quick notes rather than needing to unlock and launch the S Note.
- Killer screen, no need to mention more on that.
- Double press home button to launch camera is fast. Trashed the same feature on my G4 which is 3x slower for the camera to launch. And of course the camera is one of the best out there
- Always on display. great for someone without a watch like me.

Unsure/Dislike
- Battery life. Standby battery life seem to drop faster than my G4 even if I did not enable the always on display. However actual usage (screen on) battery life trashed the G4. Still, was hoping for an even better battery life.
- Although it's a beauty, there is no way to use this phone without a casing on as it is a fingerprint magnet and fragile. Would much prefer the back to be some sort of metal.
- Worst thing on Note 7 is definitely the reported scratch prone GG5 with an edge display which is hard to put on a screen protector.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Overall I was super happy with my note 4. The only reason I didn't just replace the aging battery and I upgraded is I was hoping for some pleasant surprises and because I have the money to. Unfortunately I was disappointed. If I could take the note 4, add waterproof abilities, put that fingerprint scanner in & update to the newest android. I would do it in a heartbeat. In fact I would even pay more money for it than I did this phone!

My wife upgraded too and she is pretty much on the brink of returning it and going back to the note 4. It's really sad because this phone is gorgeous, but there are just so many down falls. It finally FEELS like a flagship phone. But now it just doesn't function like one.

Why not get a Note 5? That was their best phone yet due to its screen is wayyyy more durable... Love that phone, Wayyyy fewer downsides from Note 7 (for your "usage case scenerio")AND nice upgrade from Note 4 in many ways...(AND, you could prolly get one on Swappa in mint condition for about 400 bucks!)

BTC

glenninduluth

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

After one week I can honestly say this is the finest phone I have ever owned. I picked mine up at a local Sprint store on the second day of availability. Got the last black one but they still had a number of blue and silver ones in stock. I know others have had issues with lag & battery life but I have had none of that. I have had many Samsung phones included two in the Note series (2&4). I loved both of them. And as much as I loved the Note 4 (never a single issue with it) I never really felt like it was a major upgrade (other than in build quality) from the Note 2 I had before it. All of that is very different with the Note 7. This not only looks but feels and operates like it is on a different level! Love the curved edges but I can see where others may not. Battery life for me is much better than on the Note 4 (and the 4 had decent battery life). I have not run into any lag issues but I have a feeling that is a user variable. I have a decent number of apps loaded but I am good about not having a ton running at one time. I have not had a single crash or restart. It has literally worked perfect from the get go. I have several different smart watches that I switch around that are having no issues communicating with the phone. Also, I have to say that this is the first phone in some time where I don't feel the need to download a separate launcher. TouchWiz may not be perfect but it has come a long way and I am more than happy with it on this phone. I did however download a dark theme from there theme store. I am even using the stock web browser for the first time in ages. My gripes are only a few. Lack of hard screen protectors (but they will come and that is not Samsung's fault). I downloaded the Google keyboard as it is much better than the Samsung one. Needed to download the offical music player (Really?! What logical reason is there for not including that in the first place?) I wish there was a setting to allow the home screens to continually scroll instead of coming to an end at the left or right. That is about it for complaints from me. I did originally buy the S View cover for it but I returned it and picked up the LED cover. Something about the front part of the S View cover just felt flimsy to me compared to the old S View cover I had on the Note 4. The LED cover feels much stronger and even gives a bit more grip to the phone. Oh, and I opted for the free 256GB memory card and I already received notification that it is on its way! :)

Budman40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I absolutely love this phone. I did have reservations about the battery but waited because I knew it would get better. Two days ago I cleared the cache in recovery and today I had much better battery life. Today has been one week that I've had the phone.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

I love my blue coral note 7. Don't regret getting it at all. Does awesome for me. Battery great for me. During a 12 hour work day with playing with the phone during breaks and lunch I have 55 to 60% battery life left when i get home. Now if I'm home and constantly playing on it non stop then I get between 5 to 6 hours depending on what I'm doing. So I really don't have any complaints. It does what I need it to do.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

Impartial on it. I came from the note 4 and a long line of smartphones before that. I fel in love with my note 4 right away, almost all positives. Unfortunately this one feels like every phone I had before the note 4, it's got alot of positives and negatives.

Positives:
1. Phone is gorgeous
2. Fingerprint scanner works impressively fast and accurately. Serious, I am super impressed with how well it works.
3. Auto brightness seems to work better.
4. Waterproof. Not a big deal because I've never had water damage, but now I don't have to stress about it.
5. Updated android has some nice new features and optimizations

Negatives:
1. Camera is worse. I get it that the pixels are bigger and the photo ARE better in the dark. blah blah blah. I take most my photos and videos outside with ample light. For me it's a lose lose. I never take pictures with terrible lighting and when I do, they still aren't gonna be great from a cell phone anyways. I wish they atleast stuck with 16MP. My note 4's videos and pictures were beautiful. The only thing better is my DSLR and honestly it would give it a run for its money for pre-processed standard pictures.

2. Battery: It's not worse than my Note 4's but it's not better. What a disappointment. They both barely last the full average day for me. Anything outside the average and I have to charge it. Why cut corners on battery? To slim it down an unfathomable amount? Most people put huge cases on it anyways, who cares if its a hair bigger or smaller. The size race ended years ago.

3. Messaging: Stock app would continually freeze on me after I imported my last phones messages. I downloaded Chomp SMS and use that flawlessly, so not a big deal. But after so many years I have no idea how they still can't figure it out but aftermarket apps can.

4. Fragility: I run my phones naked. My note 4 has been dropped dozens of times over the years and has been great. In fact I have never had a cracked screen with any of my phones. However with this one I am actually nervous. The screen is curved around the edges which will definitely make it a weak point. Also it now has 2 glass sides to worry about.

5. Speed: At first it was actually laggy and alot of apps had kinks. After doing alot of organization and deleting bloatware it is no longer laggy and works great. The problem is that it is literally not any faster than my 2 year old note 4. What gives?!

6. Lost Features: In an futile effort to declutter touchwiz they deleted many useful features. Not any faster anyways but thanks for deleting the features.

Overall I was super happy with my note 4. The only reason I didn't just replace the aging battery and I upgraded is I was hoping for some pleasant surprises and because I have the money to. Unfortunately I was disappointed. If I could take the note 4, add waterproof abilities, put that fingerprint scanner in & update to the newest android. I would do it in a heartbeat. In fact I would even pay more money for it than I did this phone!

My wife upgraded too and she is pretty much on the brink of returning it and going back to the note 4. It's really sad because this phone is gorgeous, but there are just so many down falls. It finally FEELS like a flagship phone. But now it just doesn't function like one.
Totally disagree on the camera. Don't know how you're using it but I've noticed a difference between this and the Note 5 even and it blows away my iPhone 6+.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

There are so many things to like about my Note 7. The smartphone is gorgeous. Love the black color. The first major improvement over the Note 5 is the S-pen. The accuracy of the S-pen is loads better. Although I am still getting used to the thicker lines it produces. The text input box is much improved. Performance wise it's not as smooth as my Note 5. Once action memo is back I will be more satisfied. Always on display is a nice touch. I really like what Samsung did with Notes app. Overall look of the software is very refined. The edge display is exciting. I love that I can just swipe from the side and see my calendar and the day's agenda. The camera takes great photos, but then again so did my Note 5. It's not a huge upgrade over the Note 5, but I'm glad I upgraded. I went with a different carrier as well. AT&T to Verizon. I didn't get a screen protector as I feel they Are no longer necessary. But I got a decent Spigen case for $10 so I'm happy. I should keep this smartphone for a year. Or at least that's what I'm hoping for. I have had every Note ever released And I'm starting to believe that it's my niche. I'm just overwhelmingly satisfied with the Samsung Galaxy Note series and the Note 7 doesn't disappoint.

cynth.hgn

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site

After one week I can honestly say this is the finest phone I have ever owned. I picked mine up at a local Sprint store on the second day of availability. Got the last black one but they still had a number of blue and silver ones in stock. I know others have had issues with lag & battery life but I have had none of that. I have had many Samsung phones included two in the Note series (2&4). I loved both of them. And as much as I loved the Note 4 (never a single issue with it) I never really felt like it was a major upgrade (other than in build quality) from the Note 2 I had before it. All of that is very different with the Note 7. This not only looks but feels and operates like it is on a different level! Love the curved edges but I can see where others may not. Battery life for me is much better than on the Note 4 (and the 4 had decent battery life). I have not run into any lag issues but I have a feeling that is a user variable. I have a decent number of apps loaded but I am good about not having a ton running at one time. I have not had a single crash or restart. It has literally worked perfect from the get go. I have several different smart watches that I switch around that are having no issues communicating with the phone. Also, I have to say that this is the first phone in some time where I don't feel the need to download a separate launcher. TouchWiz may not be perfect but it has come a long way and I am more than happy with it on this phone. I did however download a dark theme from there theme store. I am even using the stock web browser for the first time in ages. My gripes are only a few. Lack of hard screen protectors (but they will come and that is not Samsung's fault). I downloaded the Google keyboard as it is much better than the Samsung one. Needed to download the offical music player (Really?! What logical reason is there for not including that in the first place?) I wish there was a setting to allow the home screens to continually scroll instead of coming to an end at the left or right. That is about it for complaints from me. I did originally buy the S View cover for it but I returned it and picked up the LED cover. Something about the front part of the S View cover just felt flimsy to me compared to the old S View cover I had on the Note 4. The LED cover feels much stronger and even gives a bit more grip to the phone. Oh, and I opted for the free 256GB memory card and I already received notification that it is on its way! :)
Regarding your comment that they will design a proper screen protector. This isn't the first edge phone. The s6 edge came out over 2 years ago, so they've had plenty of time to figure it out. I'm thinking the design is too difficult otherwise we would have seen it by now

Status
Not open for further replies.