[HowTo] Tether Galaxy Tab to your Phone

angerztang

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
i just got a galaxy tab last night. and i was so sad when i tried to connect to my iPhone tethering on the car. you saved me and my tab. thanks

angerztang

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
i cannot paste the file in /system/bin. it says "The paste operation failed. Would you like to send..."

it is already in r/w mode. i can paste things in /sdcard/download. but i cannot replace the old "wpa_supplicant".

Can any one help? Thanks.

Skatedawg

ROM Abuser
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
i cannot paste the file in /system/bin. it says "The paste operation failed. Would you like to send..."

it is already in r/w mode. i can paste things in /sdcard/download. but i cannot replace the old "wpa_supplicant".

Can any one help? Thanks.

You are rooted right?

aiiee#AC

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
OP( or anyone really :)) - When you say it should work with any ad-hoc network, it should work with the WinMo 6.5 ad-hoc network on my HTC TouchPro2 right? The answer decides whether or not the GT goes back or stays, thanks!

UPDATE: Neverrrminddd :) I took a leap of faith and it works perfectly! Thanks!

Last edited:

X1088LoD

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
How to Tether Your Galaxy Tab to Your Phone

Written by Skatedawg

Warning: I, nor to any other members of this community, do not take any responsibility for the possibly of you "bricking" your devices or any other things that could harm your device. Also rooting your device does void your warranty so do this at your own risk and judgment.

Update: Works for DroidX 2.2.1 BUT wifi will not connect to a network unless changed back to the original wpa file.

Prerequisites
  • Rooted Android Phone
  • Rooted Galaxy Tab
  • Root Explorer (Purchase) and AndroZip/Astro (Free) (Available on Market - You may use any program you like but these are the ones that worked best for me and in this tutorial)

Instructions
1) Root your Galaxy Tab. There are many one-click root application available. Just do a search for them. I'm the kind of person that likes to do it manually so I used a tutorial by blacklevel over at XDA Developers. That link is: [HOWTO] manual rooting of Galaxy Tab (EURO with JM6) - xda-developers

2) Download the file attached to this post titled wpa_supplicant.rar (Originally posted by daveba over at XDA Developers as a .7z file). I changed the format to .rar so that more file file managers could use it.

3) If you downloaded this file to your computer, extract it and then put the file on your sdcard. If you downloaded the file by your tab, just open your file manager (astro or androzip) and find the file. Long press the file and extract the contents. Remember this location.

4) Important: Turn OFF your wifi.

5) Go to the Root Explorer and find that location of the file you just extracted which is most likely in sdcard/download/ depending on the browser you used to download the file on your tab. (Dolphin HD was used in this case)

6) Long press the file you extracted and tap Copy. Go back to the root menu and then navigate to system/bin. Tap "Mount R/W" at the top so you can modify files in the system folder. Long press on the wpa_supplicant that is already in the folder and rename it to "wpa_supplicant.bak" press "OK" then you can click on the "paste" button now to paste the copied file from your download folder to this system folder.

7)
Click on the "Mount R/O" at the top to turn off Read/Write mode and back out of Root Explorer.

You just completed modifying your Galaxy Tab for tether to any Ad-hoc network.

Testing
To test it, we are going to turn off any kind of data transmitting to the carrier network (if you have a data plan on it).

1) From the home screen. Menu Key > Settings > Wireless and network > Mobile Networks. Un-check "Use packet data". Check to see if you can access any web page (WiFi should still be off). If you cant then you have successfully turned off network connection.

2) Go to your phone and turn on your hotspot. This can either be Wireless Tether or any other root wireless tethering application.

3) Now go back to your tab. Turn on your wifi. Scan for devices around you. You should see "devicename (adhoc)" (ex. my device name SSID is AndroidTether so on my tab it shows up as "AndroidTether (adhoc)".

4) Select your phone from the list of wifi hotspots on your Tab. Put in the password if you have one.

5) Once its connected. Back out and try to access the internet. If you can connect to a page then you have successfully done everything correct and your ready to browser via your phones data plan.

Special thanks to dave_t (android central), daveba (XDA), blacklevel (XDA) and of course the Android Central community for all its fantastic members and moderators.

Please leave comments and let me know if this help everyone.
Thanks for the guide

unstopable20

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey I am having problems with my wifi now after replacing the wpa_supplicant. Does anyone know if this works with all tab versions? I have a sprint root tab. Thanks for your help.