[HowTo] Tether Galaxy Tab to your Phone

calicajun

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Believe it or not, this mod my not even be necessary...

I just got my Tab for Christmas and I was all read up and all ready to do this mod. I had my Tab rooted 45 seconds after it's first boot. I was all ready to switch out the wpa_supplicant file but on a whim decided to try to tether it to my rooted EVO first to see if I could figure out how to make my EVO not look like a adhoc network. For some reason my Tab saw the EVO as "AndroidTether" and I connected no problem. I turned off my home WifI network and downloaded a 30 meg file as a test. It worked fine and I never even changed my wpa_supplicant file.

Very strange huh?

The only that I can think of is that I did switch out the wpa_supplicant in my EVO a long time ago. My EVO can see adhoc networks and my Tab does not see them. This does not seem to matter because my Tab does not see my EVO as a adhoc but instead see's it as a regular WiFi network.

BTW, my Tab is the ATT version and my EVO is rooted with a (mostly) stock ROM.
how can i do it without rooting

zero9969

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I have copied the WPA into the correct folder and renamed the old one just as everyone has told me too. When I attempt to turn Wifi back on, it says error and doesn't turn on. What am I doing wrong? Please let me know if there is anything you need. it is AV 3.1

Thank you

zero9969

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Also I just noticed. In the "Testing" section of your instructions, #1) From the home screen. Menu Key > Settings > Wireless and network > Mobile Networks. Un-check "Use packet data".
I was not able to find anything that said "Use packet data" I do not have that as an option. Do I need a program?