hp slatebook x2

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I understand there is more to this forum then just android. I get that people have favorites and that a lot of what's shared here is as a result of the companies in which produce products. I know that there is more that happens behind the scenes then most of the public would ever imagine( I am typing this on a defunked hp touchpad and I still own my palm pre). Of all people in these forums I am in the upper class of people who should hate HP and wish them ill will just on principal.

having said that why is this latest product had so little said about it. I understand the slate was pathetic. Hp announced this hybrid in may and there has been little said about it since. It was released early and not a single person is talking about it. No unboxings yet and no androidcentral articale saying so.

like I said maybe hp has not given the access needed, maybe nobody cares. In my research this is a bad *** hybrid. I get that its not the best tablet and also not a laptop. I can find other hybrids that beat this one in some catagories but not at this price. ( with coupon codes I can get it down to 447. Tax and shipping included.) it seams to have a few addons but a clean android 4.2. Not a nexus but not overloaded with garbage.

I am sure I am completely wrong on all accounts and will be told so. Thanks in advance either way.

anon(5439859)

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I just received mine from HP. Any questions? I dig it so far. Defintely low end construction (bezel reminds me of 1st Gen ipad), but pretty solid. Surprisingly heavy, but that's mostly in the keyboard, which actually makes sense as you want the keyboard to be heavier than the monitor on a laptop. I'm a big fan of the keyboard, despite its small size. Shortcut keys are money. I also like the full size HDMI and USB ports, along with a full size SD card slot.

There are a plethora of HP coupon codes floating around, which means you won't pay over $450 for this. I got it to replace my Samsung $250 chromebook that I loved until recently.

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I am in the market for a new device. I was leaning on this heavily because i wanted some to be more in line with my phone which is a s3. The problem is I found out thru my teacher that I wont be able to use an android system for some of the programs we will need to run. I am not saying it can't be done just that i wont have the skills to do it. So I am going to be getting a laptop with some extra financial aid money. Maybe a refurb sony vaio from bestbuy. Thanks for the offer.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I just received mine from HP. Any questions? I dig it so far. Defintely low end construction (bezel reminds me of 1st Gen ipad), but pretty solid. Surprisingly heavy, but that's mostly in the keyboard, which actually makes sense as you want the keyboard to be heavier than the monitor on a laptop. I'm a big fan of the keyboard, despite its small size. Shortcut keys are money. I also like the full size HDMI and USB ports, along with a full size SD card slot.

There are a plethora of HP coupon codes floating around, which means you won't pay over $450 for this. I got it to replace my Samsung $250 chromebook that I loved until recently.

Can you run some benchmarks for us? I'm curious how the Tegra 4 performs in tablets.

anon(5439859)

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Here you go. I had many other programs running during benchmarks. Not sure if that matters. I can restart and run them again if it helps.

My quick review thus far. Keyboard part is great. I love the bevy of shortcuts and find I'm able to type well on it. The full size hdmi/usb/sd card are also great. Keyboard section is firmly built.

Tablet part is low end. Plastic seams near screen. Rubber grommet between screen and plastic. I have some light bleed from edges. Definitely no nexus 10 level on quality. Speakers are louder than normal due to front facing but are very tinny. But the tablet is also surprisingly thin and light.

I think this only makes sense if you mostly want an android netbook but also appreciate some tablet use. I specifically didn't want a tablet as my note 2 suffices for most tablet use. But I loved my series 3 chromebook and only wished it had android apps. This fills that gap nicely. Tablet functionality is seen to me as bonus only.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376273578619.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376273578619.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 18
  • uploadfromtaptalk1376273588450.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376273588450.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 17

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
"Tablet part is low end. Plastic seams near screen. Rubber grommet between screen and plastic. I have some light bleed from edges.
Can you expand on this more? What do you mean by plastic is near screen? Also how bad is the light bleed? An inch into the screen? At all back light levels? I had a bad experience with light bleed with the nexus 10 and would prefer to not go through that again :/

anon(5439859)

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
On a whole the tablet portion is more like a chopped off laptop screen than typical tablet with rounder edges.

I attached some pics of the construction to illustrate the edges and bevels. The glass is totally flat. No rounding at edges. The glass terminates into a raised rubber lip. After the rubber is a thin dark plastic piece which then meets a separate gray plastic piece which forms the back shell. So you have two edges: the not smooth seam between the two plastic pieces and the rubber lip.

I don't find it to be a huge deal because I'm not looking at long tablet use and it does add more grip. But I know most would abhor the construction.

Light bleed at all levels. Mine is only one top left corner and radiates about as far as edge of status bar. Thus there is a slighter green background behind my first notification on the top left in landscape. On the long top edge there is a noticeable thin shadow/darker area on the screen. This may be because the digitizer is not as close to screen as on higher end units? Just doesn't seem like a top end screen to me. But I still prefer it to something like the note 10.1 due to higher res.

I'd think of it this way on whole. The keyboard is worth about 200 and the tablet is worth about 250-300. If you want a 450 dollar high end tablet, this isn't a substitute.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376283474646.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376283474646.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 11
  • uploadfromtaptalk1376283484026.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376283484026.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 11

anon(5439859)

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I also just noticed that the slatebook is outputting 7.1 audio to my avr. It advertises DTS. Haven't tested it but seems like a nice feature to pair with the full hdmi out.

anon(5439859)

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Trying to repost screens hots that failed earlier...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376285279818.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376285279818.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 14
  • uploadfromtaptalk1376285289828.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376285289828.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 13

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much for such an in depth review of the screen :)
I'm really torn on this one..I want a tablet keyboard combo but I will most likely be using it just as a stand alone tablet. If there were folio cases out for it or if I know there would be some in the near future I would probably already buy it. There is all so the nagging issue of HP selling 32. & 64GB versions around the world but not offering it in the US. Sad to say but the lack of a good tablet case and only 16 GB of internal storage is keeping me away from buying.

Last edited:

anon(5439859)

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Actually if you plan on sticking the slate book tablet in a big folio case that would be better. I never understood why people cared as much about build quality or feel if they just planned on sticking it under a case.

I doubt you'd see an official accessory anytime soon though.

anon(5439859)

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
And re storage. I had 12 gbs free of the 16 internal. That's been enough for my use. Also the tablet references an emulation storage mode that I haven't figured out yet. It lists 2 external sd cards and emulation as the 3 external storage options. This may be a way to use external cards as internal storage. There are many hp tweaks in settings that I haven't had time to explore

Which reminds me that this also doesn't have auto brightness, gps or a micro use port.

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it also doesn't have haptic feedback either :( If you can use the micro SD card as virtual storage for apps that would put me over the edge but all I read is that Jellybean itself does not allow app2sd ability. Let us know if you can in fact get app data on the SD card.

anon(5439859)

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Here's a pic that shows the dark edge on the screen as I described before. You'll see it on the left, long side.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376373879734.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376373879734.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 12

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Adamw100, thank you for your in depth information. However, I have a few questions I'd like to ask;
How bad are the speakers? You said loud but tinny. Is there any bass?
How is the reception with the radios? Wifi, BT, etc.
On a scale of 1-10, where would you rate this tablet in build quality?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from the Resistance Hidey Hole in Taco Nation, while using an HTC One.

anon(5439859)

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Adamw100, thank you for your in depth information. However, I have a few questions I'd like to ask;
How bad are the speakers? You said loud but tinny. Is there any bass?
How is the reception with the radios? Wifi, BT, etc.
On a scale of 1-10, where would you rate this tablet in build quality?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from the Resistance Hidey Hole in Taco Nation, while using an HTC One.

I'm no audio expert but think of it as average cell phones speakers but louder and front facing. The ports are small and I think are blocked in netbook mode.

Radio reception fine this far. No issues. But I think it's only 2.4 which sucks . Only bluetooth testing was via moga pro. Btw dead trigger looked sick on this. Like a different game than on my note 2. It also has miracast which I haven't tested. Oh it doesn't have gps which causes many apps to be incompatible.

I am noticing some quirks in the os. Settings crashes when I try to view the storage tab for instance. Little stuff I expect gets fixed.

Build quality. As netbook , 8 of 10. Only ding is that the screen has some play on the hinge. Not much and it doesn't feel insecure. But I'd like it to have no play. Otherwise it seems like a tank when closed. Heavy and solid. Definitely see HP's laptop chops there. Also wished it had power button on keyboard. It might and I just haven't discovered it.

As tablet, 3.5 of 10. I've owned many: every ipad, surface pro, nexus 7 and 10, note 10.1, and tab 7. Backside is the smooth plastic of a Samsung tab. But the transition from back side to screen is worst I've seen. I personally don't care but anyone who wants premium build and smooth edges might. Plus it's asymmetrical due to the hinge. But on good side, it is very thin as a tablet (likely because half the battery is in keyboard, which reduces tablet only battery. I'm seeing 5 hours with heavy use as tablet only). The back curves to be very thin at the edge, unlike the blocky Samsungs. There is no Samsung esque flex. It's firm. I think the plastic shells HP used are thicker than any I've seen.

I'm actually liking the device despite my initial turn off at screen quality. The keyboard makes the perfect, functional stand/case with a bevy of ports. Would I prefer asus transformer build and nexus screens? Of course. If nexus 10 had a $200 keyboard dock, it would be miles better. But nothing else offers this package under 700 as far as I know. For 450 I expect many could get solid use from. You could get a slate book and a nexus 7 for price of new transformer I bet.

Peckinpah

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Mine just came yesterday, and I love it for what I'm using it for; couldn't be a better deal. Out of all of it I only have one complaint and one concern.

Complaint: That proprietary charger. I understand it tho, after all, it does have to support charging two batteries simultaneously, although having a micro-usb wouldn't have hurt for other reasons.

Concern: The OS updates. It's stock android with only four or five apps from HP, so updates should be smooth right? I hope so.

Paul Inboriboon

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I just got my HP Slatebook x2 last week. I major issue so far. We use Google Apps for Business and it requires the Google Apps Device Policy installed on Android devices to access email. The HP Slatebook x2 warns me that I cannot access my Google Apps account until I download it. I click on the link and it takes me to the Play Store app; however, the app says that my device isn't compatible with this version. The version of Android on the HP Slatebook x2 exceeds the minimum version for the app. I cannot find out how to let HP or Google Android know so they can address this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvagmailaccounts