HTC 10 going back, I'm going to iOS

mellonxcollie

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Have fun. I've literally just switched back to Android from iOS. I've had a fair amount of phones on both OSes at this point (Moto Droid, iPhone 4, Nexus 4, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, Galaxy Note 5). The OS is just so stagnant. It's great at what it does, but there's nothing special about it after so many years.

And personally, the camera, keyboard and screen on my Note 5 are miles better than those same things on my iPhone 6. But buy whaatever makes you happy.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Whatever works for you is what you should use. It's just a phone. Nothing to get excited about.

If its "just a phone" then why do we all spend so much time on this forum (you have over 1300+ posts...) chatting about the parts that make it more than a phone (calling)? I always get that statement from people who are tied to their phones and claim they 'dont' do much with it, yet i see them constantly on social media, browsing the net, watching videos, texting, etc. I find that statement funny, i consider myself a light to medium user and still can admit my mobile phone is something hard to live without these days. I know my job could not function without a mobile phone. Gosh, even my parents who are in their 70's would have difficulty without a mobile phone. Just saying...its more than 'just a phone' ;P

homonaut

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I respect your opinion and because it's your opinion then nobody is right or wrong, but man, everything was fine with me until I read this:

"Android keyboards. They are just not as good as iPhones...period."

To his credit, the new gKeyboard (or whatever it's called) on iOS is pretty fresh.

homonaut

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
That's the problem with Android. Instead of making their stock better than everything else, there is always a "downloadable app" to improve a part of the phone that should be best to use already. That is why I have also went back ti iPhone, even after spending a few months on Nexus 6P. Just a smoother experience overall without the necessity to download something to make something that should just work better.

With its new keyboard, Google has colonized every major function of my iPhone | The Verge

You can ALWAYS find something better, or something that can make it a better experience.

Google Maps was better than Apple Maps.
Now, apparently, Google Keyboard is better than the default Apple Keyboard.
Cal and Any.do are better than iOS (and Google's) offerings.

I just wonder if people are so inclined to think that iOS "just works" that they get an iPhone and don't even bother looking for better apps to replace stock apps. Because there's a ****-tonne of "better" experiences.

MO, of course.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't seem like a problem to have app substitutions in the Play Store to replace a stock one that you don't like. Seems like a robust ecosystem to me.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
If its "just a phone" then why do we all spend so much time on this forum (you have over 1300+ posts...) chatting about the parts that make it more than a phone (calling)? I always get that statement from people who are tied to their phones and claim they 'dont' do much with it, yet i see them constantly on social media, browsing the net, watching videos, texting, etc. I find that statement funny, i consider myself a light to medium user and still can admit my mobile phone is something hard to live without these days. I know my job could not function without a mobile phone. Gosh, even my parents who are in their 70's would have difficulty without a mobile phone. Just saying...its more than 'just a phone' ;P

Not really. It's just impure silicon. It's fun to talk to people is all. The subject here is phones, so I'll talk phones. If I knew anything about football, i'd be on a football board. It's all the same to me. The tech is interesting. But the interactions are more so.

Centralboy545

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
That's the problem with Android. Instead of making their stock better than everything else, there is always a "downloadable app" to improve a part of the phone that should be best to use already. That is why I have also went back ti iPhone, even after spending a few months on Nexus 6P. Just a smoother experience overall without the necessity to download something to make something that should just work better.
That's all objective though. I know plenty of people who doesn't need 3rd party apps on their androids. Truth be told the only default apps I changed was the default Samsung keyboard to SwiftKey and downloaded Nova launcher because I'm used to the pure android feel. The Samsung keyboard is good also just doesn't have the personalized dictionary like SwiftKey.

Centralboy545

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
While android does so suck balls compared to iOS, it is not for the reasons you mention. I hate some aspects of it with a passion. For example, the fact that ann app can keep playing sound while you are talking on the phone is absolute madness. Inexcusable! This is a freaking phone, when I am on a call, all other apps should be completely cut off from playing audio. I don't want music playing while I am talking to someone! Especially when it is a work related call! Also, the are instances when a call comes in and nothing comes up on the screen because, once again, apps are not walled off from basic phone functionality. Freaking ridiculous. There are many other little ****ups.

However, keyboard on android is a million times better. Screen is better, too. Notifications are much better on iOS, however you can use floatify app to mimic iOS notifications on the lock screen. It works reasonably well.

I currently use android and there are things I definitely prefer vs iOS. For example, dual SIM functionality is so much better. I try to ignore the obvious idiotic shortcomings like phone functionality that is not walled off from the apps.
Ummmmm..... All my music apps and youtube pauses during phone calls and texts. Don't know why yours isn't.

filanto

May 19, 2016
Visit site
The HTC is going back. I started with Android in '08 with the G1 and right about the time of the iPhone 4 left Android as my daily driver. I have always had an Android as a backup and love my old Note 3. Having said that I wanted to give the latest and greatest offering a try but was left unimpressed.

The HTC 10 is a great phone over all! Build quality is excellent and it feels great in the hand. Battery life is very good and standby is excellent! Finger print sensor is excellent. If Android is your choice, this is a winner. Why is it going back?

Screen. It really is not that great. Viewing angles remind me of phones of the past which means not great. The screen looks white when looking directly on but dims and turns pink when looking at an angle. I compared to my iPhone 6s and Note 3 and the HTC 10 has the worst viewing angles.

Gmail app. Google still can't make the Gmail app as good as it is on iPhone. Two things stand out. One is when I email myself I always get duplicate emails when on Android. This is on any Android using Gmail app. Two, there is no setting to use desktop signature on Android Gmail app yet iPhone Gmail app allows for it.

Android keyboards. They are just not as good as iPhones...period.

Notifications. Not as great. I leave my phone on my desk face up. If I get a notification with my iPhone I look over and see what it is and get a short description or part of the email lit up on the screen. HTC 10? A beep and a blinking light, not good (I checked the settings and it was set to notify while locked but never got that to happen). This requires a double tap to wake the screen and the information is still more limited.

Speaker. Its good but not great. There is such a small improvement over the 6S speaker its not worth bringing up as a strong point IMO. I turned on the same song on Spotify and went back and forth from phone to phone and aside from the HTC having slightly more clarity there really is nothing to get excited over. They both still sound like little cell phone speakers.

I use a Mac. Having the ability to answer phone calls, reply to text and syc notes directly with my Mac is valuable and can not be done with Android.

So I won't let the door hit me on the way out but I'll be back with one of the first to buy a Note 6 as I have always loved the Note line of phones. :)

Try side loading the Priv keyboard

Jason Cockerham

Community Review Team Leader
Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Like you said, third party apps will do those things he's looking for. On iOS, he can just open the box and those things are there (except for the Gmail app). As far as the keyboard and notifications, I have to agree with him. Both are just smoother out of the box. Android notifications may be more involved and more interactive, but as far a just notifying you of information, they do a very no-nonsense job of it.

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Exactly. I am shipping the HTC 10 back this morning. Great phone, great hardware as has been the case with the 6p, S7 and LG V10 that I've had trying to convert to Android. Android is the problem. It's a dumpster fire of an OS. 2-3 steps to get something done. Apps are second rate to Apple's IMO. I won't go back to try it again.

felonioushunk

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I have been using iOS for the past year (iPhone 4s, 5s, 6s Plus) and this past weekend switched to Android (Galaxy s7 Edge).

The screen on my s7 Edge is leaps and bounds beyond my 6s plus...period.

I can't speak on the Gmail app issue sending two copies when you email yourself because I don't email myself, but really... who cares?

I have no problem with the keyboard on my Edge and it has swift key type functionality built in with the numbers on the same screen as the letters without have to install a third party keyboard like I would have to on the 6s Plus.

The notifications on my Edge come up and give me a short descriptor like they did on the 6s Plus.

I understand why you would prefer to use iOS when you use a Mac, things are seamless integrated. Apple WANTS you to use Macs so of course they would make their other hardware and software work better with MacOS than anything else. iTunes on a PC? That performs so badly it can drive a person to drink! Why do you have to use iTunes anyways? Maybe that is a topic for another post but with my Edge I just drag and drop!

In conclusion I would like to say in my 5 days of experience with Android compared to the last year with iOS, my s7 Edge and Android are clearly superior to my 6s Plus and iOS.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. I am shipping the HTC 10 back this morning. Great phone, great hardware as has been the case with the 6p, S7 and LG V10 that I've had trying to convert to Android. Android is the problem. It's a dumpster fire of an OS. 2-3 steps to get something done. Apps are second rate to Apple's IMO. I won't go back to try it again.

I've been a 6s Plus user since December and I don't think there's anyway I could legitimately say that Android as an OS is a dumpster fire. That's not even close to being correct. You may not like it as much as iOS, but it's a great OS. Gives the user so much more freedom than iOS. And for all intents and purposes, does essentially the same exact thing. I also don't think apps are second rate. Some are. Some aren't. I like some iOS versions better and some Android versions better. Just depends on the app and developer. For example, the Realtor app looks ridiculous on my 6s Plus. It was made for the 4-inch phones, so it's just blown up, uses an old school iOS keyboard, and hasn't been updated to implement swipe back, so there is no back button in the app. Looks ridiculous.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I've been a 6s Plus user since December and I don't think there's anyway I could legitimately say that Android as an OS is a dumpster fire. That's not even close to being correct. You may not like it as much as iOS, but it's a great OS. Gives the user so much more freedom than iOS. And for all intents and purposes, does essentially the same exact thing. I also don't think apps are second rate. Some are. Some aren't. I like some iOS versions better and some Android versions better. Just depends on the app and developer. For example, the Realtor app looks ridiculous on my 6s Plus. It was made for the 4-inch phones, so it's just blown up, uses an old school iOS keyboard, and hasn't been updated to implement swipe back, so there is no back button in the app. Looks ridiculous.

Do you have both phones? Just curious.

I'll be making the jump back to ios, but not for any of the reasons the op mentioned. Right now in this point in my life, I just prefer ios better. Although I think the Edge is one helluva phone and I think is the better phone between the two. I don't have time to tinker. But, it will be a damn good backup phone. On rainy days i'll use the Edge (IP68 certified) lol. I love both platforms.

tnt4

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site

I'll be making the jump back to ios, but not for any of the reasons the op mentioned. Right now in this point in my life, I just prefer ios better. Although I think the Edge is one helluva phone and I think is the better phone between the two. I don't have time to tinker. But, it will be a damn good backup phone. On rainy days i'll use the Edge (IP68 certified) lol. I love both platforms.

Similar here - love them both. If all my friends/family/co-workers used Android, it would be a no-brainer for me. But I love iOS as well, and all my friends/family/co-workers use iOS, so that typically makes life much easier. That, and iOS is a nice break from tinker-temptation and battery life anxiety - it becomes more of a tool and less of a toy, which is the whole point of a phone right? I have the regular S7, not the Edge, and some nights it drops 3% and other nights it drops 15%. Some days I make it all day with no problem and other days I need to charge it by evening. And I can assure you my habits don't change much at all day to day. On iOS, it might not be the best battery life (though it IS quite good), but it's consistent, day in and day out.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

I do actually have a 10, but I'm currently using the 6s Plus. I think one is better than the other at different things. I don't really prefer one over the other. My iPhone is better at battery life and overall stability. But for the most part, Android is almost as stable. And I don't tinker once I get it set up the way I like. I don't really mess with either one - if it's set up, then it's set up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois