HTC acts like it has iceview when it does not

Nyanderthal

Mar 8, 2020
Visit site
My HTC ten one day had a hang up, derped out, and restarted. It came back online to a retro-looking round clock with bright, digital numbers. I was a bit confused, as I certainly didn't have that as anything I set. It didn't have any direction to swipe, though when I swipe it likes to go to last call.

To get past this, I have to

- Press the power button once
-When the retro clock view (some googlin' has informed me this is Iceview and goes with a case?) comes up, I once again press the power button and hold it down.
-the usual power menu shows up (power/airplace/restart)
-hit cancel and I'm back to what my phone should be

I do not, nor have I ever had, an iceview or whatever-other smart case, just a floppy rubber thingie around the back and sides

Restart, nothing. I've not done a reset because lazy and would rather not do that right now as the thing is used constantly for either 2FA, documenting equipment, and calling vendors, it is not a business phone however.

This iceview kicks in seemingly at random. Sometimes it'll not be in that mode after a restart and sometimes it just doesn't come back after I go through the "get to menu" steps I have to do above. HOWEVER, anytime I open a text, anytime I take a picture, that damn iceview kicks in and goes right to that round clock and it sticks around for some time before randomly going away or maybe going away on a restart.

In settings, I can't seem to find anything about it, though I vaguely recall something about a Smart Case as a toggle setting but have not since found that again.

Ideas, suggestions, etc would be nice. A device reset would be the last resort option, I'd need to verify backups have everything I need and at the very least backup the last weeks worth of stuff.

Please help!

It looks neat, yes. But it's a gigantic pain the in butt for a daily use

Going through settings, I can't seem to find anything about these settings or how to disable them.

Nyanderthal

Mar 8, 2020
Visit site
Attached at the screen when I first wake phone, or whenever I "lock" the phone (screen off or whatever that state is refered to) and the second one with the power menu up is how I get past that unwanted iceview layout (by brining up the power menu and hitting cancel)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200307-211432.jpg
    Screenshot_20200307-211432.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20200307-211445.jpg
    Screenshot_20200307-211445.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 8

Nyanderthal

Mar 8, 2020
Visit site
And right now, it actually just stopped Ice View and this is what me normal lock/unlock screen consists of: Where I slide the lock up to unlock and get previews of texts/calls with the answer/decline options (no idea how to answer/decline in the other view, I imagine slide some direction

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200307-213620.jpg
    Screenshot_20200307-213620.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 7

Nyanderthal

Mar 8, 2020
Visit site

Yes, this shows up in safe mode.

It actually does the retro round clock, I do the power menu + cancel to get past it, and in safe mode it goes to my NORMAL lock screen after that.

Attached the sequence of screenshots IN SAFE MODE

This is diffferent in safe mode in that my normal lock screen does not follow the power menu + cancel method I've used to get past it in normal

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200307-214239.jpg
    Screenshot_20200307-214239.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20200307-214247.jpg
    Screenshot_20200307-214247.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20200307-214255.jpg
    Screenshot_20200307-214255.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 7

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure how the Ice View cases work, but a lot of times, they depend on magnetic sensors (that sense an embedded magnet in the cover) This can sometimes be inappropriately triggered by a magnet nearby -- could that be the issue?

Nyanderthal

Mar 8, 2020
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure how the Ice View cases work, but a lot of times, they depend on magnetic sensors (that sense an embedded magnet in the cover) This can sometimes be inappropriately triggered by a magnet nearby -- could that be the issue?

I don't think so? I have a few rather tiny rare-earth magnets on my keychain, but that's been the case since I acquired this phone years ago.

It's been through 2 screens and a battery that I replaced, so I'm fairly familiar with getting it apart. If there's a layout chart for the magnet, or magnet sensor, I can take it apart and disconnect that sensor if possible, I'd have no issues trying that.

Gus_Gutz

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
On my Ice View case there is a liitle round disk in the lower left hand corner with the HTC logo on it. I think that triggers the Ice View app. When that disk fell off, I no longer had the ice view effect activate. I think there was a feature where double tapping or swiping activated the camera. I will go pull the phone and see what I can figure out. I haven't used it in a year or so.