HTC EVO 4G Unrevoked 3 Rooting Instructions

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the double post, but I forgot to mention that when I run Unrevoke3, there is a message at the bottom that says: "do no plug in your phone if you have htc sync installed." I downloaded it yesterday, because I was going to root it using urevoke forever but it was too complicated for me.

westhillsat

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
What will happen if i have HTC sync installed on my computer?

It won't work. See MrJackson's post on the previous page. The videos I watched and what I read prior all said delete HTC sync if installed on your computer. I deleted it and had no major problem with unrevoked installing. The install seemed to stop twice, I hit the power button and the install continued. Installed the first time and now rooted since January.

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Prep:

(1) If you have the original unrevoked root installed, uninstall it by using "Menu," "Settings," "Applications," "Manage Applications" and scrolling to "Unrevoked" at the bottom. Tap it, click "Force Stop" at the bottom and then "Uninstall," "OK" to uninstall it. Then power off/on your phone just to be sure.

(2) If you haven't already installed the OTA 1.47 update, do it now: "Menu," "Settings," "System Updates," and "HTC software update" at the bottom, then click "Check Now" to get the 1.47 update. If you do this update, it takes up to 10 minutes so be patient and let the phone reboot (a few times) until it is done. Then once the update is done, power off/on one last time to get a clean start.

(3) Set your phone to "Charge Only:" "Menu," "Settings," "Connect to PC," tap "Default connection type" and select "Charge Only."

(4) Enable USB debugging: "Menu," "Settings," "Applications," "Development," and put a check in "USB debugging."

The root process:

(1) Download the unrevoked3 install package: Go to unrevoked3 recovery reflash tool, v3.32 and click "Download for Windows." Save the "Reflash-bundle.exe" file somewhere that you can find it on your system.

(2) Using Explorer, run the "Reflash-bundle.exe" file you just downloaded. It'll ask where to install it. Don't just accept the default: change the install location to a folder you can remember: it's just going to unzip some files there: it isn't really a software installer.

(3) Once the files have unzipped, go to the folder you chose in the above step. You should find an "hboot driver.htm" file in that folder: double click on that to open the html instructions on how to install the drivers. Follow the instructions in the html file starting with downloading the actual driver files at the very top. When you download those driver files and unzip those, those are the files (the folder) you'll point to in subsequent steps in those instructions. When done with the html instructions, you should have drivers installed and shouldn't have to come back to this step.

(4) At this point, if you needed to install the drivers, you are probably still sitting at a boot menu on your phone. UNPLUG the phone from USB and select "Fastboot" and then "Reboot" to reboot the phone to restart it. Before the next step, your phone should be on and booted up in its normal operating state (not some boot menu).

(5) Now go to the folder where you unzipped the reflash bundle (step 2 above). Just double click the "Reflash.exe" file.

(6) You should get a window with "Unrevoked 3" on it (on the computer of course). Just follow the instructions in smaller font below "Unrevoked 3" to finish rooting. Note that when it says "Waiting for device," it wants you to plug your EVO into the computer via the USB cable. Note that it wants the EVO to be fully booted normally (not in the Hboot or recovery menus). The prompts at this point are very specific so no need to repeat them. If all works as it is supposed to, the only thing you really have to do is scroll to an item on the phone and select it when instructed. The rest is automated and should result in a "Done" message. The whole thing at this point took maybe one minute so it isn't something you have to wait for or stare at for a long time so if something gets "stuck" for a while... there's likely a problem.
ugh, I'm so frustrated with this. I've tried rooting using unrevoked forever and unrevoked 3, and none of those methods are working for me. Ok, for this method, I get lost on step two. On step one, I downloaded the file from the unrevoked website. After downloading the file, I went to the folder where it was located and double clicked on it. It did not extract any files. All that happened was a little windowed came up, telling me to connect my phone. I connected my phone, but nothing happens. So what went wrong? By the way, the file that I downloaded from the link you provided says "reflash_package" not "reflash_bundle.exe". Also, how do I run the file using explorer? Do I open up internet explorer, and do what?

Any help would be appreciated.

mattchew86

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
ugh, I'm so frustrated with this. I've tried rooting using unrevoked forever and unrevoked 3, and none of those methods are working for me. Ok, for this method, I get lost on step two. On step one, I downloaded the file from the unrevoked website. After downloading the file, I went to the folder where it was located and double clicked on it. It did not extract any files. All that happened was a little windowed came up, telling me to connect my phone. I connected my phone, but nothing happens. So what went wrong? By the way, the file that I downloaded from the link you provided says "reflash_package" not "reflash_bundle.exe". Also, how do I run the file using explorer? Do I open up internet explorer, and do what?

Any help would be appreciated.

Did you just double click on the "reflash_package"? Sometimes it may not say ".exe" at the end of it, but it is an executable file.

If the file you clicked told you to connect your phone, then you opened the rooting tool. You need to make sure all you drivers, the hboot drivers etc, are updated before using the tool.

There's no need to open IE. Just double click on the file you downloaded. If that doesn't work, right click and hit "extract". Choose where you want the extracted files to go, and hit ok.

As for it not showing that your device is connected, I really have no idea.

Try this link: [GUIDE] One Click How to Root EVO with Unrevoked 3.21 *NEW EVO'S WONT WORK 11.16.10* - xda-developers

The OP gave a good way to do it, but this link helps to simplify the process.

Reactions: el_capitan

mr.seth.price

May 18, 2010
Visit site
so i rooted with the most current unrevoked3 this morning. My question is this?

If I have read and understand correctly the "nandroid backup" is a carbon copy of the way the phone was right after root incase i screw something up so that I can restore?

is that correct?

If so. Did it auto make one when unrevoke rooted it? If so where is it? I can't seem to find it on the SD card?

If it's not auto done? How do I do it?

ianandersen1

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
PLEASE HELP - so frustrated...

I've been working to root my phone via unrevoked for about 4 hours and been stuck on the same issue for the whole time. The process will always get hung up on the "waiting for system to reboot" or "waiting for system to settle" phase. I've tried different PCs and different OSs and nothing seems to work.
I also have all the precautions in place: factory reset phone, no interfering software on my PC, antivirus off...

At one point during the process my computer always makes a noise signaling that the device is being disconnected and then immediately reconnected. I'm assuming this has something to do with it.

I would really appreciate any advice!!

jasonblanco

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
^
This does NOT work if youre trying to root the new GB update.

I found this thread because I'm lurking for when someone figures out how to root it. I got a little too excited and updated last Friday before thinking about it preventing root. Hopefully someone figures it out soon!

Jordan1993

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
when unrevoked open and it tells me its waiting for the device it doesnt do anything and i restart the phone a couple of times and i have it on debugging mode and its on charge only..

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
If you are on 2.3 Gingerbread then it won't work. You have to use the Revolutionary method in the sticky. If you are still on 2.2 Froyo then make sure you have your drivers installed. I think that is all but hell it's been so long since I rooted I can't remember what all went into this method:-\

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
If you are on 2.3 Gingerbread then it won't work. You have to use the Revolutionary method in the sticky. If you are still on 2.2 Froyo then make sure you have your drivers installed. I think that is all but hell it's been so long since I rooted I can't remember what all went into this method:-\

This. If you are on 2.2 I can help you finish using unrevoked 3.

DumpedDuce Approves This Message

leuemik

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I have been stuck on "waiting for system to settle down" for a while now. I have ditched all apps I didn't care to save and any I thought could be trying to sync with my PC. I am not sure what I can be doing differently. Any help out there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332