HTC Incredible vs. Motorola Droid Xtreme

tourboy

May 27, 2010
Visit site
4.3" screen on the Xtreme LOL

Think someone else summed up that size of screen on the EVO:

"* Size - there's a tradeoff here: the big screen is nice to look at and obviously provides a great amount of real estate for web pages and other apps, but the Incredible is a lot more pocket and hand friendly. The EVO is just huge, but that's one of it's "features". It looks a little silly walking in public texting on this thing. I feel like people are staring at me haha."

Charmed Juan

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
For those of us with large hands and even bigger thumbs, the incredible is difficult to use the portrait keyboard.
I will be jumping on board the first 4.3" screen phone Verizon gets.

bark8015

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
For those of us with large hands and even bigger thumbs, the incredible is difficult to use the portrait keyboard.
I will be jumping on board the first 4.3" screen phone Verizon gets.

I really understand your issue (I'm 6'3" with very large hands/thumbs).

If you have an Incredible already, read through the thread linked below. It definitely helps with the portrait mode keyboard for the big-boned amongst us.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/droid-incredible/15097-swype-incredible.html

tourboy

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, but I am sticking with the best...HTC Incredible! :cool:

Is this a picture of the new Droid Pro or Xtreme?

Check out the Droid Pro. It looks even better than the Xtreme and it has a 4.3 inch screen. It's rumored to release later this year.
Motorola Droid Pro - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

My upgrade is in January but with 2.2 running on my Droid, I've got just about everything I want. But if I were gonna get a new phone this year I think it would be the Droid Pro.

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
As stated in another similar thread I would be very concerned about Motorola's ability to remain in the smartphone race. Their financial performance over the last three years is dismal while Apple, HTC and Samsung are experiencing spectacular growth over the same period. There are significant numbers of financial analyst who are saying that the new Motorola Droids are a last ditch effort for viability and that regular cell phones or possibly media phones will be what they retreat to if they are to remain in the marketplace. This creates support and future update concerns. For those of you that replace phones every ten minutes this probably doesn't matter but for users looking for real business functionality this is a factor.

tourboy

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Well, I would definitely cross the Droid Xtreme off the list then. Who wants to own something that is a "last hope" product...why does Palm come to mind?

Does seem like Apple, HTC, and Samsung are leading the industry. The Incredible has been out for how long now and they STILL cannot meet demand.

As stated in another similar thread I would be very concerned about Motorola's ability to remain in the smartphone race. Their financial performance over the last three years is dismal while Apple, HTC and Samsung are experiencing spectacular growth over the same period. There are significant numbers of financial analyst who are saying that the new Motorola Droids are a last ditch effort for viability and that regular cell phones or possibly media phones will be what they retreat to if they are to remain in the marketplace. This creates support and future update concerns. For those of you that replace phones every ten minutes this probably doesn't matter but for users looking for real business functionality this is a factor.

tourboy

May 27, 2010
Visit site
WHAT???? This makes no sense!!!

Talk about grasping at straws and trying to reason even with the wrong facts. :D

Face it...the Incredible has been a HOME RUN HIT!!! And now Motorola is trying to catch up and from the looks of the Xtreme, Motorola will keep trying, but HTC is far ahead.

That's because there is a mass shortage of AMOLED screens. It's the same reason the EVO can't meet demand.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
So if you dot care for skins, then you won't want any of Motorola's offerings that have been mentioned thus far?

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
The Droid 2 and Droid Pro will both run on stock. The Xtreme will run on "Ninja Blur". Even still, my upgrade is in January and I may wait longer for something better to come. If not, the Droid Pro looks like a killer device.

Stock > Sense because everything is compatible with stock and it's much less of a hassle to hack/tweak.

Android is really fragmented because of these other skins. If every Android phone ran stock, it would be a lot better IMO. Look at the iPhone. One device, one skin. Not a bunch of devices like Android. There's a reason why Google passes out N1s and Droids to their testers. And there's a reason why they're the only two phones running 2.2 while everything is left back. I mean look how long it took the Hero to get 2.1 - almost a year. The Incredible isn't scheduled to get 2.2 till later on in the year and there's a reason why most developers keep producing ROMs for the two stock Android phones.

But you don't know what any of the devices will run.

I respect your opinion saying that Stock is superior to Sense UI. However, keep in mind that for the regular consumers, Sense UI remains to be the 'complete' and 'polished' Android experience. I suggest you should go and listen to the Android Central Writer's Roundtable Podcast on the DROID Incredible, and listen to their thoughts about Sense UI. Very true.

I understand your comparison to the iPhone, though you are somewhat wrong. I've used all generations of the iPod touch, and the hardware is all roughly similar. Not so for Android. You say the biggest factor of fragmentation is the skins, but I disagree. I think it is the hardware. The HTC Hero on Sprint can hardly be compared to the DROID Incredible, though it is running Sense UI on top of Android 2.1. The hardware is inferior.

Technology moves, and Android stays with it. Motorola says it wants a 2GHz phone out, but the fact is that batteries suffer under the current 1GHz Snapdragon. So while I'm sure that it is possible to have a 2GHz chip in a phone, how will the battery be?

My point is that Stock has things missing, or has areas that still feel 'rough' and somewhat unfinished. Competing against the iPhone OS (which is truly beautiful in terms of ease-of-use and simplicity), that just doesn't work. HTC has done a marvelous job of fixing those areas, and adding some eye-candy everywhere else.

But congratulations on your soon-to-be DROID Pro/2. I'm sure it will be a great phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
menblattcard