HTC Mail Memory Leak/Bug ("Phone Storage Getting Low")

smarblewnec

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same issues. I have 2 hotmail accounts connected to my incredible through htc mail and I have 2 gmail accounts connected through the gmail app. Every time my htc mail builds up to about the 110mb level the phone gives me the low storage warning. If I do not delete a bunch of emails, then it will begin to freeze up to the point that a wipe is required. One tip on wiping the phone. If you are like me and do not sync contacts and calendar with gmail then get the app "my backup". It works well to restore 90% of the phone after a wipe. This low stoprage issue is extremely frustrating, I had my blackberry tour set up to never delete emails and it never filled up. I could switch over to just using gmail accounts but the gmail app on the incredible will not let you copy text which is absolutely ludicrous so I have to keep using the htc mail app so that I can copy email text. ugh. I am also having a few freezes and having to pull the battery out once or twice a day even when I am not getting the low-space notification. Unfortunately this phone is great for internet and apps, but the basic functions my bb had are made difficult with this phone. Anyone have any luck getting an answer from htc? This phone has a ton of on-board storage space so 130mb used for email should not cause a catastrophic problem like it does.

TucsonChuck

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Marble, hopefully the 2.2 roll out will fix this HTC Mail issue, who knows? If/when I call support again I will have documented what I've gone through, and others here, I can't help but believe they aren't aware of the problem!?!?

Reset + 5 days

Internal phone memory 6.6 total, 6.5 avail no change
Phone Memory 748 total, 707 avail no change
HTC 14.65 down(?) from 15.5mb is this due to the battery pull(reboot)?

Also I noticed that after I delete email in Hotmail, it re downloads?

Last edited:

TucsonChuck

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Reset + 6 days

Phone Memory 748 total, 705 avail down from 707 yesterday(Installed Seesmic)
HTC 14.77 up from 14.65 yesterday

TucsonChuck

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Indiana, I do get emails with attachments but not that large, that i can think of, I do delete them pretty quick though. So that could be the issue, not sure...

Also in my email account i have the "Download options" sent to 3 days. And I think I have noticed that emails only stay on my phone for three days also?

Reset + 7 days

Phone Memory 748 total, 705 avail no change
HTC mail 23.37 down from 27.31 last night

drPheta

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
just got this error message today. Been using the phone since May 10. GRRRRR, what a pain it is to have to reset the phone. Any news on this issue?

lovesorange

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I am new to the forum and new to the android phone. I set up my Droid Incredible for the first time on May 12. Around May 20, I started getting the "low on space" notification. I checked all memory and storage numbers and I had a ton of space and memory available. I called Verizon yesterday and they said they knew nothing of this issue and i had to do a hard reset. Told me to add apps one at a time, etc. as others have been told. I remember that when the low on space note happened, I had downloaded an app to show me a count of my unread gmail. I forget which app- either "gmail notifier" or "gmail unread count" or "unread gmail". But after that is when I had trouble loading gmail and then I was getting the error. Did anyone else downloaded this app. Thanks for posting the info. If I get the error again, I will post more. Also - I did not initially add the HTC mail. I was only using gmail. I can't remember when I added HTC mail -- if it was before or after I had the "low on space" notification. The reason I added HTC mail was because my gmail was locking up and would not load and I would have to force quit. I am not going to add HTC mail and see how things go. Thanks.

Last edited:

dlenn845

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I have been monitoring this thread. I have the same issue with the HTC mail. I have an open ticket with HTC that has been apparently escalated. I have used the following work around that has been working for at least a week. Its not a good one, but it is working so far. I took every account other than exchange and linked it through gmail pop feature. As for the exchange account limiting the message retention to 7 days, message size to 50KB, attachment to 2MB or less, attachment storage to SD card. Basically I have reduced the storage usage as much as I can, I believe this to only be a band-aid. If I have a heavy few days of mail, I am sure I will get the error, but so far for me ( 100-200 messages a day ) its working.

smarblewnec

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Here is my latest update. I installed k9 mail and loaded all 4 of my accounts into the program. (My previous setup was 2 hotmail accounts in htc mail and 2 gmail accounts in the gmail app.) I then deleted both hotmail accounts out of htc mail and I also deleted one email account out of the gmail app. (you need to keep one gmail account in the gmail app for the phone to work) After completely removing the mail accounts from HTC mail, clearing the cash, and doing a battery pull, HTC mail shows that it is still 81.88mb. K9 mail on the other hand which has a total of about 800 messages loaded in it between the 4 email accounts now only shows 8.13mb. The crazy thing is that because of the issue with htc mail filling up I was never able to keep more than a weeks worth of emails in the program. With k9 it seems like I will be able to load up thousands of emails with no issues at all like I could on my bb.
So now here are my questions. How did HTC mail get so big in the first place, and now that I have deleted the accounts, why is it still so big?
Just a quick note on k9 mail. It seems to have the best of both the htc mail app and the gmail app. It can push gmail just like the gmail app ( hotmail doesn't push because hotmail itself does not push) also, you can copy text if you forward a message. This is not quite as easy as in htc mail where you didn't have to fake forward the message, but at least there is a way to do it where as with the gmail app there was no way to copy text at all.

TucsonChuck

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Reset + 8 days

HTC mail 23.46 up from 23.37 yesterday

Marble I hope HTC is/will get a lot of calls about this issue. I don't know what I'll do when I have to reset my phone again. K9 or just use Gmail. Maybe under 2.2 the issue will be resolved.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's experiences

Chuck

smarblewnec

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I just spent about 2 hours on the phone with HTC. My issue was finally escalated after a bunch of troubleshooting. That means that in the next 8-10 days someone will call me to ask me more questions. Even after deleting all email data off of the phone in every application, HTC mail still says 81.94mb. The rep I spoke to said they are not away of this being a problem so please everyone call in and let them know how may of us there are with the problem. I told him about this thread but he said most of the time there is an issue like this, pulling the battery will fix it. Luckily, I will be receiving my replacement incredible tomorrow which was on backorder from verizon so I will keep you posted on whether a new phone fixes the problem, although I am tempted to just use k9 right from the start because it seems to be a better application.

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I just double checked: in ALL of my email accounts I have deleted/emptied the folders of: inbox, sent messages, drafts, and even outbox, and then I have completely emptied the trash. So that there are zero old messages, zero sent messages, zero drafts, zero messages in my inbox and nothing sitting in my outbox.

STILL have 25.75 MB in use/storage. We must be missing something.

drPheta

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
What's the number to HTC that you call? If we bypass the initial runabout troubleshooting, it may escalate more tickets quicker.

TucsonChuck

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Reset + 9 days

HTC mail 14.83 down from 23.46 yesterday!!

OK, so this experiment isn't going like I thought it would, I thought I would start having issues with the phones memory. Yesterday I turned my phone off while attending a meeting, perhaps doing that cleared some memory up? This morning I upgraded Seesmic, and that's it! I still delete most of my email after I read them, but starting today I will leave them on my phone to see if that will cause a increase in memory use. Note that my phone only keeps three days worth of email anyway on non Google mail accounts.

mobilehavoc

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
When you run into the memory issue, try restarting the phone. I've noticed Android clears out temp files/cache automatically when you power cycle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootje