HTC One - Are you happy with 4.3 or do you regret installing it?

bbinder

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I blew mine away awhile back and did ARHD 21.0 and haven't had any problems with the stuff I use. Battery life has been stellar and the phone works as I expect it to. Depending on use, battery life is consistent and it lasts days with little drain.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy with mine. Seems to run about the same with some UI changes really. So it wasn't a "huge" upgrade by any means. Over all it was a success in my book.

iamstillvince

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Very happy, keep finding little things new. Like the .nomedia working again (yeah for no podcasts on music player ), zoe files play nice with others now

Posted via Android Central App

nathanstickley

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I love my HTC One X but since the update it has a few issues! The calculator has disappeared, the lock and unlock screen so sound is so faint I can't even hear it and the phone vibrates to notify me of an SMS when I'm on a call and the person on the other end can hear it! Not good for business!! If there are resolutions to these I will refrain from the purchase of the S4! Don't lose me HTC!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm very happy I did have to do a factory reset bur that is kinda normal when doing such a bug up date. so I suggest that you back up your stuff to your computer and use so w kind da of back up assistant like mybackup pro but that's only if the phone e acts up.

I have updated to the new 4.3 and I love it. No issues whatsoever, and little changes here and there all around. It's NOT normal to factory reset phone update, but it CAN happen, and I wouldn't worry about it. Always a good idea to back up first. As far as battery life.... I haven't noticed difference. Some days battery seems longer, then it seems to die quicker, then it seems the same, then finally... I just can't remember what it was like before. Go for it.

I think a lot of people are having issues because they are installing the update and carrying on like nothing ever happened. A factory reset is a must after such a large install, this can and will help with any future problems you may run in to if you had not performed a factory reset. I am not saying that a FR will end all of your issues as we are all different and our expectations can be higher or lower than everyone else but it is advisable to do one after such an update.

Pretty much all carriers (and OEMs for that matter) will provide OTAs without a required data wipe (a.k.a. factory reset) because it's much easier on the user AND the carrier if they don't have to worry about instructing everyone how to backup their data first. In their mind, from a customer support perspective, it's easier to suggest doing a factory reset after the fact if a user comes to them with post-update issues, than to simply require it across the board and face the wrath of customers who are upset that their data was wiped.

The problem is that, of course, after almost major update to any Android phone, there are a ton of threads posted from users stating that "This update sucks! it ruined my battery life and my phone crashes all the time!!!"...but the reality is that 99 times out of 100, the update itself is fine, it's just that because there wasn't a factory reset done, it was technically installed improperly. Now, many people may install with no factory reset and have no problems at all, but the fact remains that when doing a major update there is a lot of data that gets carried over to the new version, and there are a lot of opportunities for incompatibility or corruption of that data. Without a factory reset, it is simply impossible to determine the cause of any "bugs" that may appear, as they may be tied to either the update itself of the existing data and settings carried over from the previous version. There are times when I think carriers and OEMs should force factory resets when updating the OS, but as I stated above, I understand why they don't.

Having said all of that, I think that we educated users (those of us to take the time to read Android Central and participate in the forums), should be prepared to install an update properly*. A lot of Google's stuff is already backed up to the cloud, and there are quite a few apps out there that can facilitate backing up pretty much everything else, including SMS messages and things like that. If you use a custom launcher, like Nova, it's even quite easy to backup and restore your home screen configuration...though I understand why many prefer to stick with the stock launcher instead. When a new update is available, especially a MAJOR update that involves a new Android version, my recommendation would be to backup everything that you can, install the update, then immediately do a factory reset and run though the setup wizard again and restore data as needed. If you choose not to do that, it's your prerogative, but you should at least understand that before you can complain about any bugs your phone may experience, that a factory reset should be completed first. Just realizing this can take a lot of the worry and frustration out of the updating process, IMO. Just my 2?

*I use the term "properly" as a subjective term that reflects my opinion...yours may vary.

Marcelo Z

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
In my case, I made the upgrade to my new HTC One unlocked.
I live in Argentina, I bought this phone in Amazon, I made the upgrade one week ago.
The update was made and accepted by me, because, the OS let do this to me.
No warning, no message, no nothing.
Once it restart automatically, it's stops at the screen that said "HTC Quietly brilliant".
I call to support from HTC, they sent me the intrucctions to made a recovery, a factory reset, a recovery with a "wipe cache partition".-
Nothing different happened.
I'm a user with some technicall knowledge, the phone is not rooted, it was as they sent me when I bought.
Now, HTC, told me that I have to send back to USA, to repair it, because the update is not for latinamerica.
So, I think that HTC made a big mistake, because they try, only try, to upgrade a phone that is not in USA, that is located in Argentina.
It's no depends on a back-up, a factory reset or whatever, it's a big failure on the procedure and I'm paying the price of their mistakes.
My phone, now, is just a expensive and a pretty case.

Pretty much all carriers (and OEMs for that matter) will provide OTAs without a required data wipe (a.k.a. factory reset) because it's much easier on the user AND the carrier if they don't have to worry about instructing everyone how to backup their data first. In their mind, from a customer support perspective, it's easier to suggest doing a factory reset after the fact if a user comes to them with post-update issues, than to simply require it across the board and face the wrath of customers who are upset that their data was wiped.

The problem is that, of course, after almost major update to any Android phone, there are a ton of threads posted from users stating that "This update sucks! it ruined my battery life and my phone crashes all the time!!!"...but the reality is that 99 times out of 100, the update itself is fine, it's just that because there wasn't a factory reset done, it was technically installed improperly. Now, many people may install with no factory reset and have no problems at all, but the fact remains that when doing a major update there is a lot of data that gets carried over to the new version, and there are a lot of opportunities for incompatibility or corruption of that data. Without a factory reset, it is simply impossible to determine the cause of any "bugs" that may appear, as they may be tied to either the update itself of the existing data and settings carried over from the previous version. There are times when I think carriers and OEMs should force factory resets when updating the OS, but as I stated above, I understand why they don't.

Having said all of that, I think that we educated users (those of us to take the time to read Android Central and participate in the forums), should be prepared to install an update properly*. A lot of Google's stuff is already backed up to the cloud, and there are quite a few apps out there that can facilitate backing up pretty much everything else, including SMS messages and things like that. If you use a custom launcher, like Nova, it's even quite easy to backup and restore your home screen configuration...though I understand why many prefer to stick with the stock launcher instead. When a new update is available, especially a MAJOR update that involves a new Android version, my recommendation would be to backup everything that you can, install the update, then immediately do a factory reset and run though the setup wizard again and restore data as needed. If you choose not to do that, it's your prerogative, but you should at least understand that before you can complain about any bugs your phone may experience, that a factory reset should be completed first. Just realizing this can take a lot of the worry and frustration out of the updating process, IMO. Just my 2?

*I use the term "properly" as a subjective term that reflects my opinion...yours may vary.

Grizzly_Atoms

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I had massive battery drain for several days after the update (10% per hour not using the phone.) I did a factory reset and now it works flawlessly. My camera also seems to be improved although it's still lacking imo.

andy24king

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm over the moon with it, genius update from android. Thank you. Oops that's a dream I had the other day. I live in the UK, I have the HTC One on Orange (ee), and there is no news of when we'll get it, so I really really hope you t-mobile customers don't get it till we do, end of the year or Jan/Feb next year, yeah. Now that's sounds like android hey. Come on. And ask for Android 4.4 kit kat, late next year for HTC one or never. Love you android. At least with ios you get a release date, shame on you android.

andy24king

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
You modded your mobile, it's not the real deal, oh dear. Too complicated all this mods, roms and whatever, I'm waiting and still waiting for the official version.

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
After the AT&T update my battery life was somewhat worse than on 4.1. I did not do a factory reset. Instead I used History Eraser to clear the cache of every app (took 30 seconds), then went into Settings>Power and turned off FastBoot. I then powered completely off and back on a couple of times which forced the 4.3 OS to load from scratch. Battery life is now better in normal use than it was before and, although I didn't go nuts and time it before/after with a stopwatch, it seems to charge faster as well.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi JasonF, when you say that you downloaded it direct from htc, can anyone do this? I'm from the UK and we dont look like we are getting the update for another 3 - 5 weeks but if I have the option to get it quicker then I would give it a go

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm over the moon with it, genius update from android. Thank you. Oops that's a dream I had the other day. I live in the UK, I have the HTC One on Orange (ee), and there is no news of when we'll get it, so I really really hope you t-mobile customers don't get it till we do, end of the year or Jan/Feb next year, yeah. Now that's sounds like android hey. Come on. And ask for Android 4.4 kit kat, late next year for HTC one or never. Love you android. At least with ios you get a release date, shame on you android.

I'm the kind of person that tries not to get into fanboy arguments or get defensive when someone favors one device over another, however I do get a bit defensive (or at least a bit irked) when folks blame "Android" for the lack of updates to their phone or the perceived (and yes, very real) fragmentation of the Android ecosystem...even more so when Apple is touted as being so much better because of this.

The fact is, it's simply not "Android" that's at fault here. Apple is able to provide timely updates to ALL iOS phones/devices on a prescribed schedule because they control both hardware and software. The thing is, though, you can get the EXACT same experience with Google's Android with Nexus devices. If Apple were to make their iOS software available for other manufacturers to use, as Google does with it's Android OS*, this exact same thing would happen to them. If receiving the latest updates is a priority for you, then Nexus devices will provide that. In fact, if you compare Apple's update deployment model with that of Nexus devices, you'll see they are both pretty similar. If you're upset that your HTC One or Samsung S4 or Motorola Droid Maxx or whatever isn't getting updated, that blame lies squarely on the OEMs and possibly carriers...but not "Android". Google makes it's Android updates available to all when it's released.

Some may argue that Apple's closed ecosystem is better, or others may argue the fact that Android's more open system is better...but that's really a different argument than the point being made here.

I'm also not saying that folks should only buy Nexus devices and/or that you shouldn't buy OEM Android devices (I currently own both an S4 and a Nexus 10)...but if you do, you should be aware that if you're not buying a Nexus, you're simply not going get Google Android updates as quickly (if at all, depending on which device we're talking about).

*Yes, I know that because Android is open source, Google doesn't have the choice to make it a closed system like Apple does, however most Android based phones are running Google's licensed version of it, a privilege Google does not have to extend. Obvious exceptions to this would devices like the Kindle Fire and other non-Google Android devices, however those are few and far between.

Emanstone

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure there are no issues? Am really scared to make this leap. I've been postponing this update for weeks now.
The reports I read here are not encouraging atall.

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app

Emanstone

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Iam really happy with my rom and 4.3.No issues and great battery life.

Sent From HTC ONE Android Revolution 30.0

Are you sure there are no issues? Am really scared to make this leap. I've been postponing this update for weeks now.
The reports I read here are not encouraging atall.

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I have not had any problems what so ever. I actually like the improvements.

Sent from my RCT6378W2 using Tapatalk

Emanstone

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I have not had any problems what so ever. I actually like the improvements.

Sent from my RCT6378W2 using Tapatalk

Did you factory reset your device? Does the dual shot work? What of the ability to change the lockscreen wallpaper?
Pls l really need your confirmation so I can take the plunge.
They've really scared me with their comments here.