HTC One Bricked While Flashing ROM, No Back Up, No RUU

veddar83

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello All,
I recently purchased an HTC One from Smartone in Hong Kong and decided to root the device. Having never been done this before, i followed a few vids to unlock and root the device. I first rooted with Clockwork. Transferred the Android Revolution 22.1 file to the phone's internal storage. Made a stupid mistake of not backing up the rom. Anyways, went into recovery and installed from SD card. For some reason, after finishing the installation, it kept going back into recovery while rebooting (recovery screen was crashing and the phone just kept the loop on). Searched online and cleared the recovery cache, tried to reinstall the ROM, same issue again. Then i installed the TWRP instead through fastboot cmd and re-tried. Installation behavior dint change and weirdly TWRP would tell me that my device is not rooted (Bootloader showed tampered and unlocked and i had installed SuperSU before flashing ROM). Since nothing was working and the phone wont move beyond the recovery screen, i searched for RUU. Downloaded some wrong RUU (did relock the phone before running RUU) and it failed with error "wrong customer ID". I believe that process wiped out all the ARHD ROM installation files from internal storage. Now i`m stuck with just TWRP and bootloader, dont have an RUU and dont know how to push the a new ROM installed on the internal storage with CMD. I`m sure i made a sequence of stupid mistakes in the process, being a noob. Any thoughts on what is my best bet to get the device working again? Greatly appreciate your response.

My Bootloader shows the following details:Radio 4A.18.3250.15
Tampered
unloced
M7_UL PVT SHIP S-ON RH
HBOOT: 1.54.0000

Thanks again for taking out the time to reply

Cheers

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you might have tried flashing a ROM for the wrong device. Not every One is the same. In China, you may have gotten a CDMA version of the One, and ARHD is for GSM versions. It's just a guess, though.

It would also explain the RUU not working.

veddar83

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, interesting angle..Smartone however is a GSM network (China carriers are diff than HK)
I'm currently trying sideloading ADB with little success. For some reason the, TWRP is not able to mount the internal storage as i did actually push a rom into the completely wiped phone. Got an error of "unable to mount'. internal storage memory option also shows 0 mb :(

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I use Philz recovery.. think of it as CWM advanced. If you haven't already try this:

Unlock the phone again
Flash Philz (fastboot flash recovery recovery.zip)
Use the wipe option "Wipe for new ROM install" **This will format /system as well
Push your ROM to the SD card using "adb push ROMfile.zip /sdcard/"
Install ROM (and kernel if you want to make changes to /system)

veddar83

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Smith, i will try this today

A few questions:
1. TWRP 2.6 (thats what i have now) also has a format option in it. Is this different than Philz?
2. Dumb question: since my phone is wiped out and i had checked the "wipe system" option as well. Do i have to install the kernel and ROM separately or do i just need to push the rom.zip on the phone and everything else will just take care of itself?

I`m learning a lot of things as part of this process as its the first time i attempted a custom ROM install (and managed to brick it :)). I guess my SD card got corrupt in the process, especially while the RUU attempt. Maybe that's why TWRP says internal storage 0 and unable to mount sdcard. Hopefully your suggestion works.

Regards

Last edited:

eljoseph1997

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
If you want to flash a ruu file just type "fastboot oem rebootRUU" in cdm then "fastboot flash zip filename" were in file name you type the location and name of the ruu

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk now Free

veddar83

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Hey elJoseph, appreciate your response. I`m not able to find an RUU file for my Radio number (pasted above in the starting thread). Do you know if there are any generic versions that can work? For now, i`ll try to format the SD card per Smith's suggestion and see if that helps the recovery tool to mount internal storage. Cheers

veddar83

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
An Update of progress thus far:
Internal Storage mounting issue resolved
Here is what i did to resolve it :
1. installed Flash Philz and attemted to format, it dint work, thre the same error that it was unable to unmount
2. Found the stock recovery.img for HTC one and flashed it after erasing cache
3. Went to bootloader, hit factory reset.
4. Stock recovery image was not showing but it attempted to go in it
5. Erased cache again and reloaded Philz. >and the sdcard mount issue was gone

I believe that to resolve the SDcard mount issue, you need to first flash the stock rom (which i guess resets in a way the internal storage error )

Problem yet to be solved:
1. I sideloaded ARHD.zip version 22.1 from the PC. It installed the whole thing and then upon booting the whole problem restarted. I believe that ROM is not compatible with my firmware or something. Can anyone shed any light on this thing?

Much Appreciated

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
An Update of progress thus far:
Internal Storage mounting issue resolved
Here is what i did to resolve it :
1. installed Flash Philz and attemted to format, it dint work, thre the same error that it was unable to unmount
2. Found the stock recovery.img for HTC one and flashed it after erasing cache
3. Went to bootloader, hit factory reset.
4. Stock recovery image was not showing but it attempted to go in it
5. Erased cache again and reloaded Philz. >and the sdcard mount issue was gone

I believe that to resolve the SDcard mount issue, you need to first flash the stock rom (which i guess resets in a way the internal storage error )

Problem yet to be solved:
1. I sideloaded ARHD.zip version 22.1 from the PC. It installed the whole thing and then upon booting the whole problem restarted. I believe that ROM is not compatible with my firmware or something. Can anyone shed any light on this thing?

Much Appreciated

Did you re-download the ROM or did you use the same zip? Are you sure your One is GSM rather than CDMA? I believe it was mentioned above but I'm not sure what type of network they run in HK.

veddar83

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Did you re-download the ROM or did you use the same zip? Are you sure your One is GSM rather than CDMA? I believe it was mentioned above but I'm not sure what type of network they run in HK.

Hey Smith, i redownloaded ARHD v 30 today.. pushed it in the sdcard with adb but CWM Philz failed to read that file..tried sideloading it and installed the whole thing (when it finishes install, it does not give me the install succesfull remark in the end like it does in "ARHD installation vids"" As soon as this process exists Philz prompts no root access. I tried to sideload Supersu first and then again sideload ARHD..nothing working..just keeps rebooting to reocvery.

As far as the GSM vs CDMA, i`m extremely positive that Smartone is a GSM network ..i think my phone needs a root first but since i only have recovery and bootloader with me, i`m stuck on exactly how to successful do this with cmd/adb

veddar83

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

Hey Smith, downloaded AR HD v 30 today. Installed through sideload. The installation completes but it doesnt give me the message that it was successful in the install logs. Then it asks me to reboot. Interestingly, CWM prompts that root access is not available. I retried sideloading super su first and then again ARHD30 and the phone goes into the bootloop again. Though the internal storage mounting errors have gone, when i try to push the zip files to the device through CMD, CWM fails to read them. unfrotunately i just have the bootloader, recovery tool and CMD/ADB to do all possible operations in this case. i`m thinking of just shipping the device back to HTC to see if they can fix it in its current state..

I`m certainly missing something here :(
As far as Smartone is concerned, i`m very positive it is a GSM network (my iPhone running on At&T accepted the smartone SIM when i moved here as well)

eljoseph1997

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
BTW do you know how to s-off that phone? Because if you can than you could change the radio for the att one and fix it and you should even have LTE if your carrier supports it

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

veddar83

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Problem has been solved:
Did the following steps to solve it:
1. Flash stock recovery
2. Re Flast TWRP
3. Push cynogenmod through adb push command to sdcard
4. Installed cynogen through TWRP
5. loaded ARHD through internal storage and installed that ROM

everything works just fine now.. Thanks a lot for your responses and help. Greatly appreciate the same

Cheers

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc