HTC One: Here's the SKINNY on the infamous PURPLE TINT (thermal defect)

alfonze24

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I just called HTC UK support and they won't fix it for free even though the warranty only expired in March 2015. I tried livechat first and they said the same thing.

I can send it in for repair and they will generate a quote. If I don't want them to do the repair it will cost £27.00.

This is from their email response:
##########
The noise is so-called "dark current noise". Even in the absence of light, thermally generated electrons and holes will be collected in sensor and will be contributed to the noise on photos. When temperature increases, dark current noise will become much obvious on photos.
To resolve this, you need to update the phone to the latest version, if you have already done that the phone needs a repair.
Should our engineers find any physical damage, wear and tear, illegal software, illegal repair attempts or your warranty has expired, the repair will be chargeable and we will send you a quote via email.
You are under no obligation to accept the quote and if you decline, there will be an approximately ?27 (may vary depending on exchange rates) diagnosis, shipping and handling fee to have the device returned to you unrepaired.
If the device is within warranty period and the fault is covered then there will be no cost to yourself.
Devices with minor liquid damage will receive a repair quote, depending on the cost of the repair.
Devices with major liquid damage are returned immediately and unrepaired, as they are classed as beyond economic repair.
Repairs will take approximately 8-10 working days from when it arrives at the HTC Repair Centre and it's subject to parts availability.
UPS can?collect your device from any address in the UK from Monday to Friday, 12:00 to 17:00 except weekends and public holidays.
##########

I asked them to give me an estimated cost of repair to fix just the purple photo issue (assuming there is nothing else wrong with the phone) and they told me they aren't allowed to give out estimations without examining the phone.

Does anyone else know the standard repair price for fixing just this issue?

Thanks,

Dave

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Nope.. I just got off the phone, my M7 is well outside of warranty (I've owned it for 2yrs and 4 months now).. The person who took my call didn't argue at all concerning the tint. In fact, they provided me a UPS shipping label (via e-mail, I probably won't get it until Monday) and said that as long as that was the only issue, it would be covered.. So far so good!
How has this turned out for you.

I just received an email saying they received the phone and diagnosed it and there will be an additional charge of $90 to fix the problem. No explanation what the problem is beyond what I originally reported.

htc.png

I'm on the phone now trying to figure out what's going on.

jkar9102

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I've been following this thread for a good year now. I bought an M7 off eBay in April 2014 with the purple tint issue in low light. I called HTC and they pretended like it wasn't a common issue and that there would be a cost to repair the phone since it was out of warranty. Naturally, I declined. At that time, simply turning the flash on was enough to solve the problem. As time went on, this didn't work, and basically all my pictures that weren't taken in direct light suffered. I called HTC again in the summer, but they still refused to fix it out of warranty for free.

After revisiting this thread about three weeks ago, I realized that based on the experiences of some people on this board, HTC was changing its stance regarding the tint issue. I gave them a call on March 19th, and had absolutely no problems beginning the repair process once I mentioned the magic words "purple tint." They sent me a free return label the next day. I shipped on the 24th and they sent me a new/mint condition M7 (without the purple tint) on April 7th. The phone was rooted, but I relocked the bootloader and turned S-OFF back to S-ON just in case (google search HTC All In One Toolkit for this).

Just sharing my experiences so other M7 owners with this issue know what to expect.

TL;DR - I exchanged my M7 w/ the purple tint for a fully functioning mint condition M7. The whole process took about 2 weeks.

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. After being on the phone with them, they went ahead and removed the charge to repair the phone. Now I'm just waiting for it to be complete and shipped back to me.

irishflyer97

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Update: I received my phone back from HTC. Another new phone...but same old purple tint. Contacted HTC support, and got a guy who insists its not hardware. Wants me to do updates, etc. I cannot figure out why they didn't replace the camera after sending back the first replacement as the ticket was specific on what the problem was. Of course the online support guy didn't think cooling off a phone would have any effect on the tint issue. Sigh..so just waiting to get back into HTC support and find another person, perhaps helpful this time. I am about ready to sell it and jump ship to another mfg....

Bodzm

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I've had the purple tint for over a year but since i hardly use the camera i didn't bother fixing it. I'm now looking to upgrade so I've sent the phone off to HTC UK to repair the camera and also replace the battery before my warranty ends. The battery sucks big time so if that gets fixed under warranty I'll probably keep the phone until Christmas.

The only concern I have is that the case has a few nicks on it due to drops and falls. I dont want the case repaired at cost to me but I think they might try to extort me.

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Sent my phone in 3/24 (paid for 2 day USPS shipping cause I wasn't told I'd be getting a shipping label - got it 6 hours after I sent it, oops), HTC tracking said they got it 3/26. They gave me a quote April 8th, called the 1-800 number a few hours after getting the email notifying me of the repair quote and they had already dismissed it by then. Shipped out on the 11th, and it was delivered today! I haven't been home since it was delivered (just f5ing the USP tracking page every half hour - I really miss my phone!) so I'm not sure if it's my actual phone or a different one yet, but the pictures on the quote page on the HTC tracking site, before they dismissed the repair charge, were definitely of my phone. I kind of hope it's a different one as my back button just stopped working in Jan and I've been using a floating on-screen one for the last few months, but I didn't mention it at all during the process since I figured they'd charge me $150 or so to repair it and it's not worth that to me. Fingers crossed!

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Sent my phone in 3/24 (paid for 2 day USPS shipping cause I wasn't told I'd be getting a shipping label - got it 6 hours after I sent it, oops), HTC tracking said they got it 3/26. They gave me a quote April 8th, called the 1-800 number a few hours after getting the email notifying me of the repair quote and they had already dismissed it by then. Shipped out on the 11th, and it was delivered today! I haven't been home since it was delivered (just f5ing the USP tracking page every half hour - I really miss my phone!) so I'm not sure if it's my actual phone or a different one yet, but the pictures on the quote page on the HTC tracking site, before they dismissed the repair charge, were definitely of my phone. I kind of hope it's a different one as my back button just stopped working in Jan and I've been using a floating on-screen one for the last few months, but I didn't mention it at all during the process since I figured they'd charge me $150 or so to repair it and it's not worth that to me. Fingers crossed!

So it's a different phone. It's less scratched up than my old one and the back button works (YES!) However this phone ALSO has the purple tint problem. After over three weeks of not having a phone, I'm not sure I want to do it all over again.

I can buy the parts (in the last 5 most recent pages or so there's links) and just follow these directions from xda but the idea of tearing apart a phone is a little terrifying to me?

Last edited:

Bodzm

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
So it's a different phone. It's less scratched up than my old one and the back button works (YES!) However this phone ALSO has the purple tint problem. After over three weeks of not having a phone, I'm not sure I want to do it all over again.

I can buy the parts (in the last 5 most recent pages or so there's links) and just follow these directions from xda but the idea of tearing apart a phone is a little terrifying to me?
That's messed up. I would complain to the higher ups. They'll replace it. I've sent mind off for repair.

I really wanted to buy the S6 orM9 bu t both have issues, so I think this M7 will suffice for a few more months once they replace the battery and camera.

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Here's the SKINNY on the infamous PURPLE TINT (thremal defect)

Just over two weeks since they received it. Talked with the support via live chat yesterday. She said it was talking time to wait for the parts to come in from Taiwan. Not sure how much long it's going to take.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

Just over two weeks since they received it. Talked with the support via live chat yesterday. She said it was talking time to wait for the parts to come in from Taiwan. Not sure how much long it's going to take.

I sent in both of my M7's on the 6th of April, and they received them on the 8th. I have tracked them religiously, using HTC's tracking tool. One phone went straight into repair, the other the next day. I received one phone back on the 21st, not within the 10-day window the support guy told me, but oh well. The other phone still shows as "In Repair". When I called to inquire why it needed to be in repair for two weeks, I was given the same BS line about parts coming in from overseas. It may be another 2-3 weeks!

Screw off, HTC. I know things break; it happens with everything we humans make. What is REALLY important is how do you respond to your customers when you've screwed up. You denied for over a year that there was a problem, and now that you do admit the problem, you pull this? Wasn't looking to spend money on a new phone, but looks like I will be going that route. Sad.

Last edited:

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site

I sent in both of my M7's on the 6th of April, and they received them on the 8th. I have tracked them religiously, using HTC's tracking tool. One phone went straight into repair, the other the next day. I received one phone back on the 21st, not within the 10-day window the support guy told me, but oh well. The other phone still shows as "In Repair". When I called to inquire why it needed to be in repair for two weeks, I was given the same BS line about parts coming in from overseas. It may be another 2-3 weeks!

Screw off, HTC. I know things break; it happens with everything we humans make. What is REALLY important is how do you respond to your customers when you've screwed up. You denied for over a year that there was a problem, and now that you do admit the problem, you pull this? Wasn't looking to spend money on a new phone, but looks like I will be going that route. Sad.
I just received an email saying it is preparing for shipment now lol. Checking the tracking page, it says it is shipped. My wife will be happy. She had to go back to using the original Incredible lol.

Bodzm

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I contacted HTC support UK via email on 14 April stating I had purple tint for over a year and my battery is also awful. I have 6 months warranty remaining.
They replied next day asking to confirm again the IMEI and serial number, and provided UPS collection details. I had to attach a copy of the original receipt - luckily I had this but it's a little annoying they can't just verify the IMEI.
Ups collected the device like clockwork the next day. It took 2 days to get to HTC. They had it 2 business days then it took another 2 days to be returned to me.

I received the phone today. Nope I didn't get a free replacement like some of you. It's definitely the same phone from the nicks I had on it. The camera is now FIXED! Finally. No purple crap. The battery will need to be tested but I hope they changed it.

The accompanying paperwork was terrible. It doesn't say what was done and nothing is stamped or signed. It just says to contact them if there was damage during transit. So in reality I could have the same battery (I'll find out within a week), but the camera is working.

Cosmetically the phone looks as it did before. I don't know what kind of magic tool they used to open the device but it does a good job

Overall positive experience. I never even spoke to HTC - only 2 emails sent and they were promptly acknowledged. Very good service :)

Edit: battery is awesome again. 2hr24 minutes screen on time using up 47% of my battery so far. 4 hours is good enough for me on this device and this is well on track to get above that. Before the repair I was getting horrific sub 3hr SOT.

Last edited:

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
OK, so now I KNOW they are playing with my head. End of the work week, I'm closing down windows on my desktop and preparing to head to Best Buy to pick up the new S6 and *ding*, one last email pops up: yeah, it's HTC, telling me my phone is fixed and they'll be shipping it soon. I know last week, it took over 24 hours for them to actually ship my wife's phone, so it probably won't go out until Monday. Just enough to make me wait for most of next week to get it.

LedZappa

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Got mine back yesterday. They sent me a quote for $90, but after chatting with them and telling them they had agreed to fix it for free before I shipped it in they got the repair department to waive the fee.

Problem is after doing about 7 updates to get it to Lollipop I went to use the camera today and I have the purple tint AGAIN!!!! I have the 64GB version and I believe they stopped making those, so I wonder if they just shipped me one off the shelf which had the old components.

I think I'm giving up.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Got mine back yesterday. They sent me a quote for $90, but after chatting with them and telling them they had agreed to fix it for free before I shipped it in they got the repair department to waive the fee.

Problem is after doing about 7 updates to get it to Lollipop I went to use the camera today and I have the purple tint AGAIN!!!! I have the 64GB version and I believe they stopped making those, so I wonder if they just shipped me one off the shelf which had the old components.

I think I'm giving up.

Don't blame you. Mine just got a tracking number tonight. It will be here on Wednesday. If the camera is good, I'll keep it. If it sucks, I'm with you. Time to go get the S6. I don't like spending money like that, but I really wouldn't mind having wireless charging, again! Miss that from the old Palm days. :)

Bodzm

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Yep, I'm edging towards the S6 edge but that niggly feeling about the speakers, Sense and metal body (glass never ends well) keeps bringing me back to the M9. It's not as good as the S6 on paper - that screen is amazing - but longterm I think an HTC device suits me better. It would be nice to have a good camera for a change but I'm not big on photos anyway.

I can't really fault HTC UK though. They were quick and efficient at fixing my problems. This M7 still runs darn well after 1.5 years. The screen is actually better than the m9 too. There's really no value in upgrading yearly anymore

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

Your post got me to thinking. (Scary, I know.) I noticed my wife's phone front glass did not align perfectly with the top edge, but I thought that may be because they had to tear it apart to replace the camera. Then, she mentioned that the scrapes in the corner were missing, from the one time she dropped it without her case on it. Sure enough, the phone has a different serial number than the one I sent in! Now, tell me, why was her phone in "service" for two weeks, if they were just going to replace it with a different unit? This company is making me scratch my head, more and more.

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Your post got me to thinking. (Scary, I know.) I noticed my wife's phone front glass did not align perfectly with the top edge, but I thought that may be because they had to tear it apart to replace the camera. Then, she mentioned that the scrapes in the corner were missing, from the one time she dropped it without her case on it. Sure enough, the phone has a different serial number than the one I sent in! Now, tell me, why was her phone in "service" for two weeks, if they were just going to replace it with a different unit? This company is making me scratch my head, more and more.

Seriously, they took 3 weeks to send me an entirely different phone with the same exact purple tint problem. Ridiculous.

AND it just up and died while running spotify and charging while driving Weds morning. Went silent, black, charging light still on, no way to wake it up. Unplugged it, and the light took forever to finally go off (no idea specifically how long because I was driving) but still nothing. Plugged it back in, no light, nothing. Went to two sprint stores (one without and with a repair center) to see if they could help. But I didn't have sprint's warranty, so they couldn't do more. I had a worth ave group plan on it, but with a new serial number on this phone than the one I have on file with worth ave, I doubt they could even do anything. And I wasn't about to be without a phone for another 3 weeks - I have finals next week, my mom is in the hospital, I really need to be reached and reach others when I don't have wifi and facebook messaging around. I have been upgrade eligible for a little while so I gave up and upgraded to the LG G3. I didn't go for the S6 because I think a battery pull would've really helped with the M7 straight up dying situation. And I'm kind of strapped for cash right now and hate the idea of leasing so I was going for something closer to $200 than $300 or more with cash, and that was the G3. I was hoping to hold onto the M7 for another year while saving up and watching for a flagship phone that would've been more of an upgrade and would have more than another year of updates coming, especially since I like holding onto phones a while. And if I had held onto my old phone, the one I initially sent into HTC, I doubt this would've happened. It had no issues besides purple camera and capactive back button not working. Whatever was refurbished on the one they sent back to me clearly just crapped out again after I had it for maybe two weeks. So, huge thanks to HTC's repair department! Ugh.

I already miss the front facing speakers. And the size. And sense's fluidity compared to occasional lagginess of LG's skin. I was totally sold on HTC before this whole comedy of errors.