HTC One - KitKat Update, Hard Reset and Dead Android (Red Triangle with !)

abtinnyc

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I got the kitkat update two days ago. Disaster. Phone froze up and so I did a hard reset. Second time I'm losing all data. I know I should have backed up. Now phone is in a really bad way. I have the android standing up and then falling face down with a red triangle and exclamation point, underneath which it says, "no command." Phone seems to want to restart, but is unable to do so.

HTC tells me warranty is voided and to reset the phone using terminology I don't understand will cost me at least $90. Something to do with restoring the bootlocker and unrooting the phone. I've been to youtube and downloaded some files - adb.exe and fastboot.exe as well some drivers. Pretty sure there's more files that I'll need. More importantly, with the general problem I'm experiencing now, will these and other related files do the trick? Or do I need to do something more hardcore?

As for specific technical points, I may not be able to answer them. I bought the phone off swappa so don't know all the history. I'm trying to contact the seller via swappa to get what I can.

Obviously not very happy and would like to rectify without sending away for repair at significant cost, notwithstanding lack of warranty. [ASIDE: what a load of nonsense regarding breach of warranty terms simply because OS was modified!!]

Can anyone help me - step-by-step, both with doing whatever it is HTC would have done as well as retrieving my data (mostly pics)?

All helpful information welcome.

abtinnyc

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Unable to reboot. When power off and back on, that's when I have the problem with the android. Phone itself seems to vibrate every so often with backlighting on home/go back/etc on bottom flashing. And when I connect to computer, it detects the phone, but is unable to access it.

Not sure what GPe or converted sense means. Will answer as best I can, but if insufficient, let me know what you need and I'll try to provide. As noted, phone purchased on swapps. Listing states phone is rooted with following details: "ARHD 3.2 Google edition ROM based off 4.3."

abtinnyc

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Got GPe - Google Play Edition. Actually believe this phone was direct from T-Mo. Branded as such on the phone and was told so by seller, which I hope was true.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Got GPe - Google Play Edition. Actually believe this phone was direct from T-Mo. Branded as such on the phone and was told so by seller, which I hope was true.

Are you holding the volume down + power to see if it boots into the bootloader?

abtinnyc

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Did this initially to do the hard reset. Things went from bad to worse. When trying to do it. Ow, nothing more happens than as already described.

abtinnyc

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I was able to do initially, but since having the bigger problem regarding the android, red triangle, no command, etc., I've not been able to do so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bawan maviya