HTC One (M8): Is there anything that this phone does better than the competition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Comparing and bashing are two different things,lol

Eh, one is just more aggressive than the other. If I had come off as more calm about Samsung's things I'd still argue the same points. Touchwiz is wonky, plastic is cheap and ugly, there is no reason the phone should retail $200 more than the One but still be made of that stuff, just thinking about region locking gives me anxiety, gimmicky features that half work (either give them fully functional or don't give them at all), Samsung's AMOLED looks overly saturated and can't be seen in the sun.

But I also bashed HTC and praised Sony a bit in my post too, if you missed it.

Blackthanos

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Everyone says the metal body is an advantage, but that kills wireless charging capabilities. So, to me, that's a disadvantage.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I'm not entirely sure it does kill wireless charging. I was reading info about the M8 on various forums and one of them quoted an article were HTC said that "Due to the metal case the M8 wasn't able to do wireless charging UNLESS you took additional steps" making it sound like you had to buy something to put on the back of it or some other accessory to get it to work. I suppose time with tell.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Eh, one is just more aggressive than the other. If I had come off as more calm about Samsung's things I'd still argue the same points. Touchwiz is wonky, plastic is cheap and ugly, there is no reason the phone should retail $200 more than the One but still be made of that stuff, just thinking about region locking gives me anxiety, gimmicky features that half work (either give them fully functional or don't give them at all), Samsung's AMOLED looks overly saturated and can't be seen in the sun.

But I also bashed HTC and praised Sony a bit in my post too, if you missed it.

I really don't want to get into this samsung vs htc thing,but if you are trying to use price as a point of negation for the s5, a device that flys off the shelves, vs a company operating in the red that probably won't be around or will be purchased by someone else in the near future, please don't. It should sell at whatever price the market will pay for it at.

It's either people have the money to pay for something or they buy something else. It's like being mad at Porsche for having a starting price for their lowest car be around 48k-53k and telling them that they shouldn't sell that high because it isn't worth x amount more than a Kia.

Plastic gives you a higher profit margin, and if you look around I'm sure you see more people with cases on their phones than without so material is a moot point.

As far as everything else, I'm not going to bother ,lol

Sent from my Apple iPad Air using Tapatalk

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Is there anything that this phone does better than the competition?

Do people really listen to music using a phones speaker?

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using tapatalk.
I use mine all the time! While taking care of my yard and pond, while painting and renovating my home, while tinkering in the garage, washing the car, boxing and exercising. Many of those things become difficult to do with headphones in, not to mention that you can't hear important things, like people trying to talk to you, etc.

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Plastic gives you a higher profit margin, and if you look around I'm sure you see more people with cases on their phones than without so material is a moot point.
Cases on your phone is your argument against mine? I already said a plastic face is ugly. This is true in people, and this is even true in phones. It does not moot my point at all. As long as I can see the face of the phone with your cover on, which is most covers, then I can still call that thing ugly.

I really don't want to get into this samsung vs htc thing,but if you are trying to use price as a point of negation for the s5, a device that flys off the shelves, vs a company operating in the red that probably won't be around or will be purchased by someone else in the near future, please don't. It should sell at whatever price the market will pay for it at.

It's either people have the money to pay for something or they buy something else. It's like being mad at Porsche for having a starting price for their lowest car be around 48k-53k and telling them that they shouldn't sell that high because it isn't worth x amount more than a Kia.

It is absolutely nothing like that car analogy at all. Porsches have the build quality, the name, and the power, and we both know a name means sales. Kia has nothing on Porsche. I hate analogies because they are always weird and you're trying to look at two totally different things and comparing the situations.

Of course Samsung can see it for whatever price they want. I didn't argue that at all, they have the name they can sell it. What I'm saying is it isn't worth it. The same way I look at a Macbook or something and look at their ridiculous price for hardware I could find $400 cheaper on another device, and then criticize Apple for doing that and criticize people for buying it, I can also criticize Samsung. Is it priced fairly thanks to the market? Yes; however, it doesn't mean I can't say it isn't overpriced, because it is.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Cases on your phone is your argument against mine? I already said a plastic face is ugly. This is true in people, and this is even true in phones. It does not moot my point at all. As long as I can see the face of the phone with your cover on, which is most covers, then I can still call that thing ugly.

Are you really arguing over the look and material of a phones bezel then? Really?

It is absolutely nothing like that car analogy at all. Porsches have the build quality, the name, and the power, and we both know a name means sales. Kia has nothing on Porsche. I hate analogies because they are always weird and you're trying to look at two totally different things and comparing the situations.

Of course Samsung can see it for whatever price they want. I didn't argue that at all, they have the name they can sell it. What I'm saying is it isn't worth it. The same way I look at a Macbook or something and look at their ridiculous price for hardware I could find $400 cheaper on another device, and then criticize Apple for doing that and criticize people for buying it, I can also criticize Samsung. Is it priced fairly thanks to the market? Yes; however, it doesn't mean I can't say it isn't overpriced, because it is.

Have you seen the amount of free software and goodies they are giving away with their phones?

You know what I was trying to say with the car thing,lol.

MacBooks can price themselves wherever they want and I will buy it because they offer me an OS that I can't get elsewhere

Nothing you mentioned is overpriced

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

In your world maybe but in mine I honestly don't know anyone that use a case on their phone except my sister that has a waterproof case because she owns a pool company.

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
MacBooks can price themselves wherever they want and I will buy it because they offer me an OS that I can't get elsewhere
Hackintosh. You can put that OS on most machines if you really wanted to.

Nothing you mentioned is overpriced
The S5, just like the S4 before it.

Have you seen the amount of free software and goodies they are giving away with their phones?
You mean all those temporary subscription services?
Samsung GALAXY S5
If you think this junk is worth the extra $200 mark up for essentially the same hardware than I don't know what to say to you. Hell, if this were the reason for that price then it would make a lot more sense to charge $700 and let the consumer save $100 on apps they actually want.
But, I have to admit it is still somewhat admirable for Samsung to give you something extra. If I remember correctly, the S4 was the same price ($800?) and didn't offer this.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Hackintosh. You can put that OS on most machines if you really wanted to.

The S5, just like the S4 before it.

You mean all those temporary subscription services?
Samsung GALAXY S5
If you think this junk is worth the extra $200 mark up for essentially the same hardware than I don't know what to say to you. Hell, if this were the reason for that price then it would make a lot more sense to charge $700 and let the consumer save $100 on apps they actually want.
But, I have to admit it is still somewhat admirable for Samsung to give you something extra. If I remember correctly, the S4 was the same price ($800?) and didn't offer this.

Free pay pal money, free 50gb Dropbox for 2 years, other free goodies.

As for everything else you really have it against Samsung and Apple don't you? Lmao.

I can tell you have a thing for the little guy, you think things are over priced, you have high quality manufacturers etc.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
In your world maybe but in mine I honestly don't know anyone that use a case on their phone except my sister that has a waterproof case because she owns a pool company.

Being that my world is in one of the largest populated places in America , I would think that my world is a much better sample on who does and doesn't use cases, lol

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Free pay pal money, free 50gb Dropbox for 2 years, other free goodies.
1. It isn't free paypal money. It is "special offers" on certain businesses.
2. Free 50GB dropbox for 2 years? People still use dropbox? Copy.com is the solution to that.
3. I already explained that the other free goodies are mostly temporary subscriptions to very specific things that have more than capable free (and better) alternatives.

As for everything else you really have it against Samsung and Apple don't you? Lmao.
Don't like them for the reason I'm about to explain

you think things are over priced,
They use their brand name to their advantage, and I don't like it. The S5 is not worth, just looking at materials and features, the extra $200. I say they are fairly priced because they are priced for the market, but I say they are overpriced because by comparison to the other smartphones they are. I don't think they are, I know they are. MacBooks are also not worth their prices either, but we can talk about that some other day on some other thread.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
1. It isn't free paypal money. It is "special offers" on certain businesses.
2. Free 50GB dropbox for 2 years? People still use dropbox? Copy.com is the solution to that.
3. I already explained that the other free goodies are mostly temporary subscriptions to very specific things that have more than capable free (and better) alternatives.

Lol, why don't you check their downloads in the play store

Don't like them for the reason I'm about to explain

They use their brand name to their advantage, and I don't like it. The S5 is not worth, just looking at materials and features, the extra $200. I say they are fairly priced because they are priced for the market, but I say they are overpriced because by comparison to the other smartphones they are. I don't think they are, I know they are. MacBooks are also not worth their prices either, but we can talk about that some other day on some other thread.

So big companies are taking advantage of their names by pricing their devices above YOUR desired price range, and you don't like them because of it? Lol, got it.

Every feature in the galaxy or note line are gimmicks, they are giving you 100$ worth of things that they don't even have to give you in the first place,but they suck for it. plastic sucks,apple sucks because they offer a different OS and use what you would describe as "premium materials", but are pricing their devices too high for your wallet. Etcetera

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

Being a Samsung is what HTC needs to do, be able to sell phones and avoid being purchased by another company.

But Samsung make their devices out of plastic and has gimmicks!

Metal and no gimmicks>money, htc wants users who want the best of the best!

(Sarcasm)

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
A reminder to keep the discussion civil and on-topic. Thanks.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

This thread was meant to be inflammatory, period. The title and opening statements are blatantly inflammatory.

Edit:

Let me clarify. This forum seems to be pretty stringent about its trolling policies, which is good. And calling another person a troll is good. But there comes a point where it's too much, sometimes, and I'm sure several users would agree with me. Many threads have been overrun and its really detracted from the experience.

The opening post was meant to rile people up. A bunch of "just because" statements with no real concrete backing. I'm surprised the thread has gone on this long honestly.

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

But Samsung make their devices out of plastic and has gimmicks!

Metal and no gimmicks>money, htc wants users who want the best of the best!

(Sarcasm)

Objectively, can you tell me why metal is better than plastic on a phone? Objectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Treyrday86