HTC One (M8) or Samsung Galaxy S5?

livendive

May 3, 2012
Visit site
The S5 looks like a better device overall than the M8. I was thinking about grabbing an M8 today because the screen on my S3 is cracked, the phone is acting pretty long in the tooth, and nobody knows when Verizon will put out the S5, but the M8 camera is seriously sucking hard enough to give me pause (I routinely zoom/crop my pictures, so the low MP would stand out). With news today that the Z2 is coming with CDMA, I think I'm going to limp along for another month or two and get the device that is seriously superior in almost every way to the HTC and Sammie offerings.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
The S5 looks like a better device overall than the M8. I was thinking about grabbing an M8 today because the screen on my S3 is cracked, the phone is acting pretty long in the tooth, and nobody knows when Verizon will put out the S5, but the M8 camera is seriously sucking hard enough to give me pause (I routinely zoom/crop my pictures, so the low MP would stand out). With news today that the Z2 is coming with CDMA, I think I'm going to limp along for another month or two and get the device that is seriously superior in almost every way to the HTC and Sammie offerings.
I don't have faith in Sony's Camera Software. It has consistently been a source of disappointment with their phones.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
No. I made it clear that fanboys gonna fan. Then you made it even clearer.

Carry on.

Seeing as I use a Nexus 5 and don't plan on buying an S5 or M8, I'm not sure how that makes me a fanboy. I just stated, quite a few times, that I don't believe the M8 to be that great and have pointed out why. Sorry if that conflicts with the modus operandi here at AC.

Posted via Android Central App

f2k8

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: HTC One or Galaxy s5

Keeping my N5 and holding out to see what the G3 brings to the table.

I really love the nexus models, and I would have bought a N5 straight away, bar one let down, no micro SD card slot! I have a huge music collection and it won't fit in the 32GB edition, I hope Google adds a micro sd card slot on the next model, fingers crossed.
The HTC One M8 and Galaxy S5 just don't look as sleek as the N5 in my opinion, I'm in such a dilemma haha.

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site

Currently rocking a Nexus 5 that thing is so smooth, but I still wanted to get the new HTC one or the S5. I am just scared of the camera on the HTC one gonna wait to see how it is in real life. The reason I did not want an S5 is because I have been with samsung since the first Galaxy.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

Honestly, I just came here to see all the back and forth fighting. It was fun for a while last year but then it went away. BUT NOW IT CAME BACK! YAY!

The number of people here who have both devices, or have even used both devices, is pretty close to zero at this point. The plain and simple truth is this nobody can really give you a great recommendation yet.

rigg

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I just got the M8 yesterday, moving from the Galaxy S4. I am going to play with it for the next couple of days, but I'm leaning towards moving back to my S4 and will wait for the S5. My simple reasons are:

1) It's slightly unwieldy in one hand. It's much more difficult for me to text, and overall operate, especially hitting apps in upper left corner with one hand.
2) It's pretty darn heavy.
3) It's too long - same height as the Samsung Note 3.
4) I just like the feel in my hand of the Samsung better - same size screen, but smaller overall footprint. Lighter, thinner, and smaller.
5) Slippery in my hand - so afraid I'm going to drop it.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Dizfunctions

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I just got the M8 yesterday, moving from the Galaxy S4. I am going to play with it for the next couple of days, but I'm leaning towards moving back to my S4 and will wait for the S5. My simple reasons are:

1) It's slightly unwieldy in one hand. It's much more difficult for me to text, and overall operate, especially hitting apps in upper left corner with one hand.
4) I just like the feel in my hand of the Samsung better - same size screen, but smaller overall footprint. Lighter, thinner, and smaller.

:O how big is your hand?

My LG G2 is basically the same size with the case, and while one handed use is a little tricky, I don't find it hard to use overall while holding it with just one hand. For reference, I'm a small guy, only 5' 4''

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm torn. I was ready to go out and get the new One yesterday but the camera reviews made me take pause. My only complaint with the M7 was poor photo quality (it was a noticeable downgrade from my iPhone 5).

Other than that though, the M8 has a lot to like. Build quality, Boom Sound, gesture controls, gorgeous display, and even great battery life. I also would love to support HTC rather than feed into the smartphone two-headed profit monster of Apple & Samsung.

I'll just wait for the reviews of the S5 and maybe the Z2 now before making a final decision. You could've made this a no-brainer HTC with a top quality camera.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Why would you want to upgrade from the S4 to S5, it really is a sidegrade that doesn't bring that much value. Same thing on the S4 to M8.

rigg

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Like asking an alcoholic why he buys that next bottle. I tell myself and friends that I won't upgrade, but the second the next phone comes out I have to get it. Gadget addict and I have a business account with 10 phones I control, so I can upgrade frequently.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Those are all concerns with the build. I believe you get whatever the equivalent of being stoned is on the internet for saying such things (which I'm guessing is someone posting a meme about you being a "fanboy" while ironically coming off as one themselves).

That aside, I think there's a legitimate complaint to be made about the size of the device as it pertains to it only being a 5" screen, but it's not like it's unusable. It may, however, turn off a lot of potential iPhone converters from buying one as other phones (Nexus 5, Moto X, GS5) are smaller and easier to handle.

But what would I know? I'm just a Samsung "fanboy" who uses a Nexus 5.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Why would you want to upgrade from the S4 to S5, it really is a sidegrade that doesn't bring that much value. Same thing on the S4 to M8.

Its worth the upgrade from the S4 to the S5, which is what I am also doing
- S4 battery sucks, S5 batter is great
- Camera is much better on the S5
- Water resistant

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I really like the M8, but since my upgrade isn't until this summer, I figure might as well wait to see what LG and Motonovo put out next.

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Its worth the upgrade from the S4 to the S5, which is what I am also doing
- S4 battery sucks, S5 batter is great
- Camera is much better on the S5
- Water resistant

What is the battery life difference between the S4 and S5? I haven't seen anything about it lately.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 109465

Yay! I get to use this again in 2014.

Samsung is proud, and loves you even more now that you've come into the forums for a competing device and told everyone how great they are. Hold your Samsung device tightly, and listen for it to whisper sweet nothings into your ear ...

OP ? Ignore these fanboy clowns from both sides. Buy what you like the most. If you ask them for an opinion, this is all you'll ever get because they have zero self control and think their choice of smartphone is a measure of self-worth.

The OP question should not have been asked in the first place...we all knew this would happen
These types of questions are subjective, and there will never be a single answer
OP should just do his research and decide what he wants and what he needs
....though I admit...this is pretty entertaining

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
What is the battery life difference between the S4 and S5? I haven't seen anything about it lately.

I haven't seen it expressed as time yet, but its larger capacity with a much, much, much more efficient processor.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

The battery life on the S4 sucks, it only gets about 4 hrs of screen time (in my experience)
The S5 battery has tested to get up to 12 hours of screen time (depends on the use), and thats without the extreme power saving mode

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevenharvi