Htc one S or samsung Galaxy S3

Sniper1087

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes right now and i know the S3 has an HD display and the one S is QHD, now thats about it in differences on hardware, software of course there are more differences, htc sense vs touchwiz besides that which do you guys think is a better option, i still cant make up my mind, any help would be appreciated.

abhijit1289

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Dude how can u compare two such phones both are at the top of their tiers but can't b compared. NFC vs no nfc, 4.8" vs. 4.3" a millimetre difference in thickness, a whole shift in design philosophy, WTH man!?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Sniper1087

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Dude how can u compare two such phones both are at the top of their tiers but can't b compared. NFC vs no nfc, 4.8" vs. 4.3" a millimetre difference in thickness, a whole shift in design philosophy, WTH man!?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Well i know lol NFC is not a big deal that really hasnt taken off in the US anyways, nothng here you can really use NFC besides sharing, with someone that has NFC both are grea phones i agree and thats what makes it a hard decision, and i know tmobile just announced they might get it next month.

Leak gives T-Mobile release dates for Samsung Galaxy S III, Note and Huawei myTouch

I want to see it but i am porting a number, that will mean i either have to wait a month more to get it or go for the one S.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Do you want a reasonably sized phone with a lower res screen and what is proably a very good radio, or a mini tablet with what is probably a really bad radio?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Edit: if you are on Verizon and the screen is an issue than just get the rezound. Amazing screen with 342 ppi which I know was and might still be the highest on the market. Plus you get an amazing radio, proven "just works" devise and establishes dev community with unlock plus s-off. I know everyone wants the newest thing, but this something to consider if you are on version. The only big negative the having the s3 instead of s4 processor

Last edited:

venious

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Go play with both, and use the SG2 as your current example. TouchWiz isn't my bag.

Sent from my HTC One S on T-Mobile

Last edited:

Sniper1087

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Go play with both. TouchWiz isn't my bag. The One also has a newer S4 processor, better camera, and Beats audio.

Sent from my HTC One S on T-Mobile

I picked up the one S and the built quality is amazingly thin, and the camera is alright in low light, i will have to do some testing on the battery tomorrow and maybe order myself a powerskin :cool:

dubstep84

May 27, 2012
Visit site
If it helps, I've needed a new phone for about a month but was waiting to try the S3 before I made an investment. I went to the Three shop in Liverpool Street station on Saturday and tried out the S3 and was completely uninspired by it. A bit too big for me and doesn't really offer much that the One S doesn't that I would actually use personally. So, I went for the One S and I absolutely love it. It's so much higher quality in terms of the finish and does everything I need (i.e. makes calls, sends text messages and browses the web well - just turn off the auto text resizing or use an alternative browser such as Chrome or Dolphin).

Hope this helps!

Ps - I also found it much better having downloaded a custom keyboard and contacts browser as the Sense ones are poo.

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I have the One S, and while I prefer vanilla Android, and I dont care for Sense UI at all, I cant even give a thought to buying a Samsung device because of Touchwiz, the worst UI since the earth cooled.

Or you could just wait till November when Google is supposed to unveil 5 new Jelly Bean devices direct from the mothership ?

:p

big_time2

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Or you could just wait till November when Google is supposed to unveil 5 new Jelly Bean devices direct from the mothership ?

:p

This is the best advice. If you can wait a little longer, you will be satisfied with a pure, no Sense/Touchwiz, Google device. You will thank us later.

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
FYI - for those price-sensitive people still thinking about it, the One S is $99 after $100 rebate thru 5/31 on T-Mo's (US) web site, at least for new lines... ;)

campy614

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I tried the Galaxy S II. Between the screen being too big for me and my hate/hate relationship with TouchWiz, I sold the thing within 3 days of use.

The GSIII is even bigger... and still has TouchWiz. No thanks.

I picked up the One S, and never looked back. I LOVE the phone. It has its kinks, but I'm hoping that after the update I won't have a problem. It's thin, it's fast, it's durable, and the camera is simply AMAZING.

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
tmous june 15-16 all phones free. fathers day sale. s3 out on 21. nothing revolutionary. one s has a crazy amazingbattery

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

dekesask

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I would take a look at the "kevins' hierarchy of needs" Ask yourself what you will be using the phone for the most. As far as specs, if your in North America the s3 doesn't even have the Tegra "advantage" The screen and removable battery are a plus, I contacted HTC regarding my battery concerns and they assured me that if i experience problems they will help me out. Sense 4 really does seem superior to touchwiz, but that may be just me. Plus we know the s3 will be super hackable so the software is almost a non starter. I love the camera on my one s but have read the s3 is just as good. (if not better :-\)
But I agree with many of the previous post, if you can, wait. The potential of a slew of Nexus devices could be really enticing. I would have waited myself but broke my phone and they replaced it with a one s so I wont complain.

D

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
so funny... i am in the same boat.

picked up the one s for free on Sat. (3 days ago now) and I am having a hard time finding any MAJOR flaws. I have had android almost since the beginning (had a hero on sprint) and this phone is absolutely amazing. However, i thought for sure i would be taking it back for an s3, but i just dont see a big enough difference in the things that will really matter to make the $230 difference (i got mine for free and tmo just announced value plan pricing for the s3 will be $229)!

Almost any "problem" i have can be fixed with root and a new rom. As far as the new sense goes, if you havent tried it.. you need to. I have had a few sense phones including the Evo, and this version is done VERY nice!! In the past i have almost always rooted and had some version of stock android, but with sense 4 i dont feel as compelled to go stock. Its done very nice (although i still switched the launcher to Nova cause i didnt like the 4x4 icon grid of the sense launcher on such a large screen... needs to be 6x4 IMO).

Battery life is outstanding (consistently getting a day+ with HEAVY use) however, you can get better with root. and HTC will unlock the bootloader for you!

I am really trying hard to find a real reason to get the s3... but i am not finding one that is big enough to make sense (pun intended).

I am still gonna wait to pass judgement until i get to mess with an s3, but its going to have to be something really special to make me switch.

my 2 cents. Good luck with your decision!!

espi007

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I've used both in the past week. I had the S3 last week and yesterday I returned it for the One S. If nothing else - the size difference alone is worth the change. The S3 is very difficult to operate with 1 hand on almost any task. If I wanted to really go that route, I think I'd choose the Galaxy Note which is about the same size yet my expectation would be to use it more like a mini sized tablet with a stylus - similar to my old school palm pilot back in the day.
The S3 was great otherwise - just too big for a phone. Yes, much smaller than my iPad - but HUGE for a phone. (full disclosure - I'm an iPhone fan but TMobile doesn't support it and I'm still under contract.)
The One S so far I like. A wee bit buggy and unstable, which is addressed in a different forum.
I've been able to set it up similarly to how I set up the S3.

Oh, another thing about the S that drove me crazy is Samsung's native apps were crap compared to HTC with respect to google integration.

The One S native calendar syncs perfectly with google calendar and tasks. The problem with S3 were many in this regard. When entering events - always defaulted to Samsung calendar AND - you couldn't enter an event offline that would eventually sync with google calendar. It would remain on the phone calendar though.

Samsung was fine as long as you used a lot of 3rd part apps.
HTC works out of the box.
Again, both of these comments refer to my preference to have the easiest synchronization with google because this is how I sync the best with several Mac products at home. (Mac Book Pro, iPad, iPod Touch).